Hotel near Brigham and Women's Hospital

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you recommend/suggest a clean, decent hotel (at least three stars) near to Brigham and Women's Hospital. My father will be a patient there and I will be staying at the hotel for about a week and would like to be able to walk around surrounding areas to the hotel. Many hotels seem to have a shuttle. Do I also need a car to get around Boston? Thank you so much.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:48 PM
HKP

I can answer your last question quickly. No, you need NOT to have a car to get around Boston.

Otherwise, B&W has several parts, but their website actually provides an interactive page on accommodations nearby: http://www.brighamandwomens.org/fami...tionsMain.aspx
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
HKP

A quick trial of that website found me the Best Western Longwood, which would probably do it for you. You might also want to get there and see how you feel about the neighborhoods in various directions. It's possible you'd actually do better with a B&B set-up, given the options.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM

We were on Longwood today, at the Brigham and Womens. I would recommend the Inn at Longwood- the Best Western that HKP mentions. Close, neat, clean, and, according to a friend who has stayed there, just a fine choice.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Brigham and Women's is on the "E" line of the subway's Green Line; you can easily access any hotel in the Back Bay area, about 2 miles away. The area around the hospital is entirely composed of hospital-related stuff and lower-middle-class housing. If you are looking for a hotel environment that gives you a place to walk around and do other things while you're not at the hospital, plan on staying in the Copley/Back Bay area and "commuting" 2 miles on the T to the hospital. You could even take a taxi for less than renting and parking a car.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
yk

I also recommend Inn @ Longwood.

The T stops running around midnight. Depending on how late you plan to stay (or need to be) at the hospital, if you stay in a Copley-Area hotel, you may need to take cabs if the T isn't running.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/care...ousinglist.pdf
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:46 PM

I am also very familiar w/the area--DH has worked there for many years and my primary care is at the Brigham---but I am not sure what you mean by 3 stars. Inn at Longwood may be OK, but I would put it in the serviceable category for those using it for a purpose.

I would actually recommend the taxi option for late-night travel even if the T is running, if you are alone. It is not so much that I consider it really dangerous, but I have lived in the Boston area for >30 yrs and I would feel a tad uneasy on the E line late at night.

PS DH just said that he has heard that the place is "a pit". While that may be an overstatement, it does suggest that it is far from 3 stars.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM

As others have said, any hotel in the Back Bay would be fine. The Brigham is also very close to the C line which is very safe, the T stops running at 12:45am.

A few other options would be either the Courtyard Marriott or the Holiday Inn in Brookline or the Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore Square.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Sorry, it's late, I meant the D line, Longwood stop.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM

yup, the D line is very very close as well to the B&W. I used to live right across the street at Longwood Towers and it is a very easy walk. If you will be at the hospital in and out a lot, I would stay at the Inn mentioned above. If the situation is not critical and it is more leisurely, it would be lovely to stay in Back Bay, Newbury street, Copley area and just take the D line in daily. Definitely no need for a car.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Agree w/wyatt above that any of the hotels he/she mentioned are more pleasant but also agree that if you are running back and forth a lot, that Inn at Longwood is better. However, what you said about "walking around surrounding areas" definitely does *not* apply to Inn at Longwood. The only walking you would be doing is the back and forth to hospital. Not an area for "strolling" on any level. Not pretty and can be a tad dicey depending on the time of night, which was my reason for telling you not to take the T late at night if you do stay in another area of Boston. Hotel shuttles sound like a definite plus!

If you are trying to get some semblance of a vacation out of this trip in addition to the time w/your father, then a Back Bay location is the way to go.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We landed up staying at the Marriott Courtyard on Beacon near Harvard St. It was perfect. They gave us a medical rate that was very reasonable. The location was perfect and they provided a shuttle van to and from the hospital. Thank you all for responding.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:30 PM

glad to hear your trip went well!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:01 AM

Hi, thanks for the update and for the helpful info that can be passed along to others w/your same requirements.