Hotel Monaco in San Francisco

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:36 PM
Joe

Hotel Monaco in San Francisco

Has anyone stayed at the hotel? I got a good rate for a queen deluxe. It's 2 blocks west of Union Square. I've never been to S.F. and must plan this trip quickly. Any feedback please? Thanks

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:30 AM
arielle

Hello! I haven't been to the Hotel Monaco yet, we're going in July but I've made some posts asking about the area it's located in etc and these are a few of the replies:

Author: David ([email protected])
Date: 06/19/2002, 04:45 pmMessage: Arielle,

I have stayed at the Hotel Monaco twice and loved both it and the area. Yes, there is a homeless problem in San Francisco and if you're not used to seeing a large homeless population it can be quite a shock. However, we have never felt threatened and have found that if you just say no or try to ignore them they stop bothering you.

You will love the hotel, nice rooms (especially the upper suites with living room and jacuzzi)nice corner bar and restaurant and good location for getting where you wish to go. Theatre, shopping, financiial district are all just a stone's throw away and the cable car stop is just a few blocks.

Make sure to go accross the street to Maddie's for breakfast while you're there.
Have fun,
David

uthor: amy ([email protected])
Date: 06/19/2002, 05:26 pmMessage: I have to agree with David, above ... I love the area that the Hotel Monaco is in. We did not stay there, but closeby at the Pan-Pacific. The area is buzzing with activity, great architecture and is close to Union Square. We found it quite convenient. There are many, many hotels in this area ... big names like Hilton, etc. ... it is not a shady area by any means. You have to realize that when you are in a big city there could (and most likely will) be homeless people anywhere. Just ignore 'em. They are harmless. The person who said someone spit on her, had a rare occurance.

Author: Jason ([email protected])
Date: 06/19/2002, 06:12 pmMessage: We're visiting San Francisco now and staying at the Monaco. The area outside is fine. Last night, there was one homeless guy sleeping near the hotel. I actually thought I'd see MORE homeless people based on the "sky is falling" comments I've read on fodors. The Monaco hotel is nice as well.

A few people said they had bad experiences with the homeless but if you've read enough posts on this website about SF you'll definitely see that is an ongoing debate.I found these replies to be reassuring, I hope this helps! Have fun
arielle

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:50 PM
topper

ttt

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Toni

It's a great hotel...The hotel restaurant, The Grand Cafe is outstanding...

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:02 AM
a

not sure how soon you are going, but we are going mid sept. will let you know how it goes. I have read tons of threads from different sites and this hotel get a 90% good rating.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:15 AM
devin

I would stay away from the Hotel Monaco. It's in a seedy area of town not far from Union Square. The filth and stench for the homeless who have there encampments on the sidewalks is awful.