Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui, Is it really like a zoo or disneyland in July?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:25 PM
sue

My husband wants quiet vacation place like a small island in southeast asia though I want to visit Maui. I worried because I read someone wrote that even the FS wailea was like a ZOO. I would be sorry for him if it's too crowded in Maui. Do I have to choose Kauai instead of Maui for him or give up Hawaii and head for Southeast Asia?
Sue from the far east

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Susie

We jsut got back from Maui and it is their slow season through August at least. It wasn't crowded anywhere--go for it!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:30 PM
mora

When were you planning to travel? We went in February, stayed at the FS and had a lovely quiet time. When we visited over at the (I'm having a mini stroke sorry I don't remember that side of the island)Westin Hotel that whole beach with all the other hotels in close proximity was like a zoo. Someone I know likened it to an airport it was so bustling.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:39 PM
sue

Sorry. It'll be the end of July.

Thanks for the replies.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Sue

I was there in July last year. I did not find it too crowded. However, I have only been there in July. Why not try Lanai if you are looking for a laid back island.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:17 PM
xxx

Yes, it will be overcrowded with kids on Maui. The worst is the plane ride! The last time I went in July I swore I'd never go to Hawaii during the summer. Of course, I'm still going in a week anyway due to a family event =)

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Linda Scott

I've been to Maui 3 times in the past 10 years. It is pretty but it is so built up now, I really don't find it very relaxing anymore. I'd opt for another more peaceful, less commercialized area to vacation. If I never go there again, it's OK with me. Linda Scott

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Sharon

Don't give up on your trip to Maui! It can be as quiet or as busy as you want it to be. Try looking at the Maui Prince Hotel in the Makena area. One of the main complaints of others that stay here is that it is too far removed from all the activities offered in Lahaina and Kaanapali...one of the main reasons that I like this area of Maui so much! The beaches in this area are excellent too! Rent a car and you will be able to be in the midst of as much activity as you can handle in no time at all. Aloha!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Duane

If you want really quiet, check out the Hana area in the northeast part of the island. It is very secluded from everything (maybe too much for you, not sure) and is the most scenic part of the island. There is the Hotel Hana Maui which is supposed to be very nice. Check out their website.

However, if you want a larger resort, the Wailea area would be best. But July does equal summer vacations with the kids. This shouldn't be an issue in the Hana area.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Karen

We just returned from 6 days in Kauai (north shore)and 3 days in West Maui. There are definitely more people on the beaches in Maui than in Kauai, but we had rain in Kauai off and on for three days on Kauai. Kauai seems quieter and more laid back and perhaps staying on the south shore would give you better weather. West Maui is resort after resort along the beach and a busier atmosphere. We stayed at the Sheraton Maui and had a great time and better weather than what we experienced in Kauai. In either place, we never ran into crowds like what we have seen in Orlando or Myrtle Beach. My best advice is to consider everyone's answers here and then read up on the places you're considering. That's what we did and we had a wonderful relaxing vacation. Good luck.