Hotel from LAX to cruise next day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to figure out a hotel for 1 night from LAX to San Pedro. Have one day/night for sightseeing and want to do it on a budget. Is there any hotel that pick you up and drive you to the cruise. THANKS...
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Why not try one of the San Perdo hotels, we stayed at the Hilton and they had a free shuttle. Don't know of any LAX hotels that have a shuttle to San Pedro.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 03:15 AM

No hotels around LAX have free shuttles to San Pedro, it is too far out.
Best(and for 2 persons the cheapest) is to take supershuttle to get there.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

What is the supershuttle? What should we see in between LAX and San Pedro? Thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM
lvk

If you are not planning to rent a car, then you have limited choices:

1. Stay at an LAX area hotel and take a bus tour. The tour companies pick up at hotels and offer lots of different options:
www.starlinetours.com/hotels-airport-area.aspx
www.viptoursandcharters.com/

You would then take a cab or shuttle service to the port the next day. See www.supershuttle.com or www.primetimeshuttle.com for more info.

2. You could also stay in downtown Long Beach, as there are several attractions within walking distance of the downtown hotels. Aquarium of the Pacific, Queen Mary, Shoreline Village, the Pike. www.visitlongbeach.com/ Some of the LB hotels have shuttles from LAX. It would only be about a $15 cab ride from Downtown LB to San Pedro.

3. Stay in San Pedro near the Port, which is the least attractive option. There is not much to see or do within walking distance of those hotels. There is the Maritime Museum, the new fountain show (www.sanpedro.com/media/San_Pedro_Fanfare.htm) and Ports of Call Village, which is in dire need of revitalization.

If you are planning to rent a car, you will of course have more options. Enterprise rents cars from LAX and has a drop off at the Port of LA (San Pedro).

Let us know what your approximate budget is, and we can give you hotel suggestions.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Yes I would suggest staying in Long Beach. If you don't want to do that the other option might be to stay in Redondo or Hermosa Beach. You'd have to get transportation to get you to San Pedro which would be more expensive than from Long Beach.

lvk-I had totally forgotten about Ports of Call village. It's probably been 20 years since I was there. Sorry to hear it needs revitalization.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Karen - "Supershuttle" is a service between airports and hotels. They operate in most major cities. They stop at various hotels so you might be the first to be picked up/dropped off or last. Just depends. They generally are less than taxis.

Go to www.supershuttle.com and look up info on LAX.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

WOW - all so helpful - thanks. Based on your reponses and looking at the options does this make sense?

Fly to LAX - take a day/night tour - stay somewhere closer to airport (or where ever tour leaves from)

Take hotel shuttle back to airport next AM then supershuttle to SanPadro (as time won't be a major factor).

Hence...what hotel - budget around $120?

Thanks
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Actually supershuttle will pick you up right at your hotel, no need to go back to the airport.
Prime Time Shuttle is another one that has a website.
If it's a Fri or Sat night , the LAX hotels will be very reasonable. And a tour company will pick you up at most of them. What time do you arrive LAX?
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 07:53 AM
lvk

I usually advise staying away from the hotels along Century Blvd. or in Inglewood, especially if you don't have a car and want to safely walk to dinner. They might be fine, though, for one night if you are eating in the hotel. The Four Points Sheraton gets recommended on this board quite often. Some of these LAX hotels have free shuttle services to local shopping/restaurant areas, so you might want to check before making reservations.

Otherwise, try for a place in El Segundo or Manhattan Beach (as long as your tour company picks up there). The Doubletree in El Segundo usually offers rates around $100 and is in a safer area. You could also try the Manhattan Beach Marriott, which has many restaurants within walking distance.

paula- It seems live they've been arguing about what to do with Ports of Call village for about 20 years. There seems to be some plan in place, but I'll believe it when I see it. The new fountain show was designed by the same people who did the Bellagio show. If you're ever in that area, you might want to check it out.

Old Oct 15th, 2008, 09:48 AM

lvk-My oldest daughter lives in Long Beach and my youngest lives in Redondo Beach so it seems I am in the area all the time. Plus I go there for work.

Just never make it to San Pedro!

20Karen-Just a little confused about what you want to do. I am assuming you are arriving at LAX early and have that day and evening for sightseeing. Then you have to be in San Pedro for the cruise the next morning, is that correct?
I actually found this link to LA city tours that work with layovers.

www.lacitytours.com/Layovers.asp

You can call them but looks like they could pick you up at LAX and then they return you to LAX but if you were staying by the airport, maybe they could drop you at your hotel. I am with lvk about not staying on Century Blvd by the airport but maybe the tour driver could take you to a different hotel.
Besides the Courtyard El Segundo, there is an Ayres Hotel right by Rosecrans. Although the actual city is Hawthorne, I always think of this as Manhattan Beach. It would be a short walk to some of the restaurants on Rosecrans (my DD works at the Houston'on Rosecrans).

The hotels on Century Blvd aren't bad just not convenient for dinner, etc. But if you have to stay there, you could probably do Priceline and get a cheap rate.