Hotel for Kauai Honeymoon

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel for Kauai Honeymoon

Hi Everyone,
I would really appreciate your help on this one.

We are deciding btw Hyatt and Princeville. Neither of us swims or cares about water sports. 2 most important things for us are:
1) to be able to roam around and explore for a long time and see some worthwhile sites
2)sit outside in the shade, play cards and drink a few pina coladas

We are pretty casual. I have read a million posts, but still can't decide. Anyone have any recommendations for this type of personality?
Thank you
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Are you counting on having a lanai? If so you will not be happy at the Princeville as it has no individual lanais.
But there is lots to see on the north shore.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:13 PM

to be able to roam around and explore for a long time and see some worthwhile sites
2)sit outside in the shade, play cards and drink a few pina coladas
----------------------------------------
Princeville. What time of year are you going?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We are going in September. Is that still save as far as rain goes?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:18 PM

September is very nice in Kauai. We celebrated our Sept anniversary there and had a great time.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM

I spent a week at the Hyatt a couple of years ago. You can't beat it for a place to chill out. We would go down to the pool or lagoon in the morning with the cribbage board, backgammon board and our trashy novels and stay all day. They have lovely shady areas for snoozing if the sun gets too much. The lagoon is great for floating. It's not far to Waimea Canyon or the North Shore. The location of the Princeville is great with fabulous views of the mountains and the bay, but I thought the hotel was gross. Good luck deciding.
-Bill
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:39 PM

We stayed at the Princeville for our engagement and for our Honeymoon and we love the North shore. We're mid 30's and basically casual outdoor and hang out kind of people. The lobby of the Princeville is a bit overdone for my taste but the staff are great and we spent many mornings hanging out in our room doing the NY times crossword with a gorgeous view of the Hanalei bay/mountains out our window. We're not huge water sport people although we found it really fun to rent kayaks and cruise up the Hanalei river. We mostly spent our days lounging by the pool/ walking/ hiking the Napali coast, etc. plus we did drive around the island in our silly Pontiac "spitfire" convertible to see the Waimea canyon which was great. I've been to Kauai many times and my personal preference is always the North Shore because I love the beauty of the mountains and NaPali coast as opposed to the more dry and resort focused South Shore. Some people prefer having the more predictable sun of the south shore as well as safer swimming conditions but for me, it is worth the chance of a little warm rain to be surrounded by the beauty and lushness of the North Shore, especially since we're not big surfers/water people. Anyway, the island is so small that it is pretty easy (although sometimes traffic is slow) to drive around the whole island. The south shore is more populated as far as resorts/restaurants/people, etc. but we found plenty of great restaurants in Hanalei and in the hotel. Whatever you do, you'll have a great time so good luck w/ your choice.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Hmmm...If I could synopsize it, it would be much as they did in the "Kauai Revealed" book--the Hyatt has a tropical, fantasy-island feel, whereas the Princeville feels more "formal."

The south side of Kauai (Poipu) is much sunnier than the north, but the north side has lusher, more dramatic terrain. Either way you will have a good time, since as stated above the island is pretty small and easy to drive around.

We stayed at the Hyatt, and from what you wrote I'm thinking it might be a *bit* more along your lines as far as "kicking back"--the grounds are huge and lovely, you could just wander around the resort and be happy (seriously). It's got a sunny, laid-back vibe.

The Princeville didn't have the same chill-out vibe to me when we visited. But it's VERY nice. We want to try it next time we go to Kauai.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 09:59 AM

My husband I stayed on both ends of Kauai last fall. We stayed several nights at the Hyatt and several on the North Shore. We LOVED the Hyatt with it's laid back Hawaiian feel and lush grounds. You don't have to get in the pools to enjoy the grounds. There was a lovely porch swing just outside our lani even. While we did not stay at Princeville we do go over to have lunch and did get to see the hotel, a room and grounds. The views are stunning but it does have a more formal overstuffed feel to it. There rooms do not have balconys, at least the room we saw did not.

I do have pictures you can see just email me at [email protected] and I will send you the link.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Vasiliki, we stayed here: www.secretbeachkauai.com last September. I think this would fit your ideas better than any of the hotels. It's beautiful. You have your own place, patio, a scenic path down to secret beach where you can sit under a shade tree and watch the waves, read a book, bring a blanket and play cards. To sit out on the cottege lanai, play cards, drink pina coladas with fruit you buy at the small farmers market in Kilauea....it would be heaven..

Here is my trip report from last September:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34534736
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM

No contest, IMHO. The Hyatt!! If you're talking about mainly staying put, relaxing ON the hotel grounds, it's even less of a contest. It's a more laid-back atmosphere. The gardens are spectacular.I'm like you--not so much getting into the water, as relaxing by it, walking around beautiful areas, maybe getting in the car for part of the day. Kauai is quite small, and easily navigable, so from theHyatt, it's not far--maybe 1.5 hours --even to the end of the road on the North Shore. For those pina coladas, there's alittle outdoor bar at the top of the hill at the Hyatt is and there's a bar in the hotel called Stevenson Library, great for a nightcap as you listen to jazz. The open-air lobby is spectacular, framing the ocean and gardens as you walk in, and you can just sit, or get a drink, on the outdoor terrace there as you listen to the sounds of the several-times a week hula show. (I think there's some kind of outdoor entertainment there every night of the week.) As for you being "pretty casual" again, Hyatt is your place. Friendly, but not "gooey" Princeville Hotel is probaly the only place i walked into in Hawaii where I felt he atmosphere was a bit "stuffy"--not what I expect anywehre in Hawaii.. And the spa at Hyatt is supposed to be grat (I didn't use it.) If you have a particular view you want, requet it--one ara is nearer to the pools, on eis neaer to the spa-end of the hotel.
Let them know it is your honeymoon. Also, if you get one of those Hyatt gold cards (free) you will have a freeroom upgrade based on availability.
Congratulations on the ucoming wedding!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 10:53 PM

Apologies for typos above..Can't help it--get so happy remembering Kauai, and the Hyatt, I lose finger control
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 09:46 AM

I previously suggested Princeville, but if you don't plan on leaving the resort much, then Calinurse is correct - Hyatt. Both are nice properties, no doubt. The Hyatt's grounds go on forever. If you're interested in roaming around the general area outside of the resort, then the Princeville's surrounding beauty can't be beat. Either way, I think you'll be happy.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 02:21 PM

I would have to say that the Hyatt offers beautiful grounds, nice restaurants very relaxing. Its centrally located so you can split the island in 2 and go a different direction each day. The Hyatt is beautiful, clean and friendly. Princeville is beautiful also but to get to west side is a drive. Grounds are not as large or pretty.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your help!
We are booked for the Hyatt! I can't wait!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 02:25 PM

Have a great trip!
-Bill