Search

Hotel Experts Needed-Making Final Choices

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Experts Needed-Making Final Choices

Hi again,
I'm researching for our trip to NY in Jan (3nights) for my 40th b-day and am narrowing down the choices. These are some of the prices I've run across on the web for hotels. What do you think?

Quikbook:
60 Thompson: Queen/King Superior $189 nt. Is this hotel near Rock. Ctr?
The Belvedere: $125 per night.
Millenium Hotel Ny Un Plaza: Standard Qn. $160 per night.
Roosevelt: $159 per nt. Superior dbl.

Expedia
Bentley Hotel $149 per nt.
Wash. Jeff. Hotel $159. per nt.
Bedford $159 per nt.
Radisson Lexington Hotel $179 per nt

Anything I'm overlooking near Rock. Ctr? Would like to keep it in the $175 or less per night range.
Coming from Houston where it's pretty mild in the winter so we're prepared to bundle up and enjoy. What do you recommend in Jan for fun in NY?
Thanks!
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 12:42 PM

Whoa. 60 Thompson is NOWHERE near Rock Ctr. It's all the way downtown. In fact none of these are really near Rock Ctr. You must get a map or find a website that will plot these on a map for you.

Have you checked reviews for these here or on tripadvisor.com?

Of the options you have I'd pick the Roosevelt for price/location.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

I have read reviews here then tried to cross check with quikbook and expedia. Haven't tried tripadviser.com, but will, thanks.
We are flexible, but as I'm planning I seem drawn to Rock. Ctr as a "home base".
Trying to avoid being overwhelmed with the choices, It's not easy!
What are your thoughts on the Roosevelt?
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Don't go with the Radisson Lexington for that price. It's not a great hotel and not worth $179/night. Rooms are small, not that clean, noisey, and the staff is rather surley. It is in a great location, however. I got it through priceline last March, with a package that included airfare too (so I'm not sure of exact nightly price). I just think you could probably get more value for your $$ eleswhere.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Beckster-
I recently booked on quikbook for the Warwick. I believe my rate was $169. I thought the location was great, rooms were spacious, and service was friendly. It is just a block off 5th avenue and close to Rock Ctr. I would definitely recommend it if you can get it on quikbook.

JaneS
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 02:44 PM

Let me start by saying I think you have time to do this. The beginning of Jan is a quiet time in NY. One of the best things to do then is shop sales BTW.

Your hotel choices are a bit all over the place in terms of size, style, location etc. Rock Ctr runs from around 48th-51st and from 5th ave to 6th ave. There are no hotels fronting on 5th ave there so it's side streets or Madison Ave or 6th ave. The Warwick would indeed be a good choice on 6th ave. The NY Hilton is also there (and huge). Both these hotels are often available on Priceline as are many of the others you mentioned including the Roosevelt. If I were celebrating a big birthday, I'd want something a bit more special OR I'd want a bargain on a hotel so I could spend more on eating, shopping etc. The nicest hotel I can think of near Rock Ctr is the Helmsley Palace on Madison Ave. It's never on Priceline & may be over your budget but I'd look at that. I also mentioned the Benjamin on your last post which gets rave reviews & was available for just over $200/night on quikbook.

The Roosevelt is a nice old hotel in a good location, but as I said, it's a Priceline hotel & can be had for less.

The Library hotel is another special place that people really like. It's not near Rock Ctr but not far either.

Do you prefer big or small, old or new? Do some more reading on tripadvisor & post back.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 03:35 PM

The Muse Hotel often runs pretty good specials on their website and their beds are GREAT!! I like the Philosophy amenities also. The bar is small and cozy. The concierges are most helpful.
The best part is the hotel is one block from Broadway and very close to Rockefellar Center. Everything you'd want to do in Midtown is right there.
Have a great 40th (it's where I spent mine!) and have a great trip.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 03:39 PM

Well, we're spending a long weekend in NYC at the Sheraton NY & Towers with Hotwire for $112/night. Location is terrific and the hotel has recently undergone a $50 million renovation (we've stayed there before the renovation and found it just fine).

You can probably do even better with Priceline. I, personally, am not fond of the Priceline bidding process, so go with Hotwire when the offer(s) are appealing. (In the overall, I've been much more pleased with Hotwire hotels, though I've gotten better rates with Priceline).
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 05:44 PM

From the hotels on your list, I would choose the Roosevelt. I would cross the Radisson Lex. off your list for the same reasons Lee4 stated

If you need a good street map, try "Streetwise Manhattan", you can find them in bookstores like Barnes & Nobel, Borders, etc. or order on-line from Amazon or B&N. These maps are very detailed, not huge (so you can easily take it with you) and they are accurate. Have a GREAT birthday trip!
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 08:42 AM

beckster, someone has posted asking about the Drake swissotel & I was reminded it's a lovely place you might like. The reviews on tripadvisor are excellent. It's not as close to Rock Ctr as say the Palace, but it's not far (about 8 blocks) & may be available at your price (I saw an ad for expedia on tripadvisor with rates starting at $178. It does come up on priceline too.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 02:02 PM

Try www.travelzoo.com as they often have great NYC hotel deals. Do get yourself a NYC guide book to help plan your trip. Especially one with maps of multiple parts of the city, the subway & bus routes, etc.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:29 AM

That's the best price I've ever seen for 60 Thompson. I've never stayed there 'cause it's always well over $300 when I check. Very chic, modernist hotel in a great SoHo location.

In a class above the other choices from everything I've read. I'm headed over to Quickbook now!
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:33 AM

I suggest that you call some of the NY hotels directly for January reservations. Rates are generally very low during that period, and you can get a lot of bang for your buck.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:30 AM
jem

Beckster,
As someone who has stayed at 60 Thompson, I can highly recommend it to you. It's located in a great neighborhood in Soho, very walkable and very safe, if that's one of your worries. The shops and restaurants around the hotel are some of the best in the city. You won't regret staying at 60 Thompson, and the price you're getting is great. The hotel is very modern but that doesn't mean it's cold. The room is rather large for New York. The bed was comfy, the bathroom was huge, and we had a fridge stocked with truly delicious items from Dean and DeLuca. Cabs and the subway can get you anywhere, but your feet will thank you for not needing to walk too far from your hotel to find treasures in Soho. It's your birthday, so splurge a little.

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 08:34 AM

I have stayed at the Belvedere 4 times now, and I find it really a perfect place. The staff was great, the rooms clean and the location is convenient to the theatre district. The price was always reasonable!
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Leona~Thanks for the tip. I wondered if I could actually get better prices by phone. Do you think it's too early to start calling, or should I wait until closer to travel dates, Jan 8-11?
Am still considering the Belvedere as well, also Casablanca and On the Avenue.
Thanks
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Stayed at the Michaelangelo for New Year's Eve. GREAT LOCATION, right near Rockefeller Center, large rooms, clean, has a Mezannine, used to be Hotel Taft. Also stayed several times at U.N. Plaza, but out of the way at 43rd and 1st Ave., far from Rock Center. Also stayed at the Benmtley but far away from everything at 61st and 1st.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 02:34 PM

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Sofitel on 44th.

Near the theatre, near fifth ave, near great restaurants, near subway stations, great rooms, great food, attentative staff.

SOFITEL SOFITEL SOFITEL. DO IT.

-Darvy