Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which dude ranch? Deciding between Tanque Verde Ranch (Tucson) and Rancho Los Caballeros (Wickenburg, Arizona) for 2/03 trip with 4 kids (14 months to 12 years)

Search

Which dude ranch? Deciding between Tanque Verde Ranch (Tucson) and Rancho Los Caballeros (Wickenburg, Arizona) for 2/03 trip with 4 kids (14 months to 12 years)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:03 PM
mom

Anyone been to either of these dude ranches? Any other suggestions in Arizona (or anywhere else where the weather will be pleasant in February)?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Karen

Rancho is superb, have been there three times and cannot rate it high enough, although we were not with children. Looked like the kids ate with help so the parents had a quiet meal and they seemed to be having a good time during the day. Have not been to Tanque Verde, but it is also very well thought of here and both of them have been in business for many, many years.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:30 AM
jette

I'll speak to T.V. since I've not been to the other one. We all loved T.V. from the adults to the kids. The accomocations are very nice and the food is superb. There are so many activities and all of them are first rate. My kids (10 and 15) just loved the naturalist. He had a whole pack of kids trailing behind him all the while engaging them in some aspect of the natural desert. I have to say, I don't know when I've seen kids more excited about learning.
T.V. has a beautiful pool but it maybe a little cool in Feb. I own and train horses so my standard is pretty high when it comes to "trail rides" but the rides and horses were all very good.
You can't go wrong at Tanque Verde.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:32 PM
can

Both ranches are great choices. You'll have a wonderful time!!!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:46 PM
amom

Just took a peek at both websites, since I'm planning a family trip to Arizona. They look fantastic but yikes! They are over $1,000 a day for our family of 4!

My neighbors go to a dude ranch every year with their children and they love it, but I think it's in Montana. Then again, he's got a seat on the NYSE, so they can afford $15,000 a week vacations. Have a great time, I'm jealous!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:43 AM
ann

I, too, would love to go to a dude ranch and both those 2 sound great, but so pricey. Does anyone else have suggestions as to others that are good, but more maybe less expensive. Keep this thread going...would love to hear more details about these places...
ann

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Laurie

If your location is flexible, there are guest ranches in Texas in the town of Bandera. We just stayed at the Twin Elm and it was $260 per night for a family of three ($60 for each additional child). This included 3 meals per day, swimming pool, accomodations, river tubing, Rodeo (Fridays), 2 hours of horseback riding, ranch activities, camp fire etc.

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone been to either of these ranches lately? In particular, it seems that the TV kids program starts with 4 yr olds, but Ranco Caballeros starts at 5. Do you think they would include a well behaved 4 and a half yr old?

ANy reviews appreciated.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have been to the Rancho three times and just love it...golf, swimming, hiking, riding, tennis. They do seem to have a nice program for children and the children did eat with the staff. I know they have a lower rate during part of December and January. I imagine your baby would not be included with the childrens' program. I'm sure you cannot go wrong with either choice.