Hotel choice in Las vegas...

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Olivier

Hotel choice in Las vegas...

Can anybody help me to make my choice for an hotel in Las Vegas. I'll be there for three days with a 12 years old kid.

My short list includes Ballys and Paris. The offers I got are quite similar. Which one would be the best value ?

Thanks...

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Melissa

We stayed at the Venetian with a 12 and 9 year old. We loved it there. The rooms were beautiful and the canal shopping area was great. The pool was plain though - on the roof top. My other choice would probably be Paris though I did not see the pool area there. It is centrally located. For prices, I went on-line directly with the Venetian. The prices change everday though, and everyday of the week has a different price. You might pay 200 on one night and 100 on another. It depends on how full they are. Then, you could log on the next day and the prices drop. So you really have to keep trying.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:39 AM
tom

you might want to look into Mandalay Bay...the pool there is considered the best on the strip...i stayed there last month and was very pleased with the hotel. The hotel has several pools including a huge wave pool with beach sand. Your kid would love it. Plus, Mandalay bay is at the end of the strip, which makes it less crowded than other hotels.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:44 AM
xxx

Paris - great location and nicer than Bally's. Agree that MB may be fun for the 12 year old. We don't prefer it because it's at the end of the strip (could still cab it to the other end of the strip and walk back if you wanted to see the other hotels).

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:53 AM
jabez

It sounds like you might be a HH member. Paris is slightly better than Bally's .They connect to each other,so the location is the same.You might check flyertalk.com and go to the Hilton forum and run a search. There is also a Vegas forum in another section there. They have a link to a good source that describes the pool areas and other ideas.
You may want to check on the current HH promotion. It ,I believe, makes you an instant gold elite in their program. This may get you an upgrade at the Paris or Bally.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:33 AM
thereuare

Another thread where somebody asks about A or B, and the replies recommend X, Y, and Z (without commenting on why A or B is a bad choice).

Of those two, choose Paris, as the rates for Paris are generally more expensive than Bally's, so if they are offering the same price, you're getting a better value with Paris.

As well, it's a newer hotel, and has a "theme" which should at least fascinate your 12 year old for a little while (more so than Bally's, which has no general theme).

Be sure to eat breakfast at the Paris buffet, as it gets rave reviews.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Lenleigh

We stayed at Ballys in one of their newly remodeled rooms and it was quite nice but to a 12 year old definitly not as cool as Paris would probably be. These hotels both connect and I am not sure if they share the pool or if Paris had another one. The pool for Ballys seemed very far away from the rooms and it is a very basic boring pool. I really enjoyed Bally's but sounds like Paris would probably be better for you. I have a couple of pictures of our room at Ballys if you are interested in seeing them.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:10 AM
elfie

I stayed at Treasure Island a few years ago and thought it was great. Comfortable room and very nice pool area, good breakfast buffet and reasonable rates. I think it would be a fine place for kids too.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Jean Valjean

If you have simmilar offers, I would not think about it and stay at Paris. It is nicer, newer and will be much more interesting for your kid.

When you get there, try asking for a room with a view of the Bellagio fountains. Maybe you can pull it off and get an upgrade! (Just remember to tip)

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Mr.V

No comparison, stay at Paris. When comparing hotels, almost always pick the newer hotel. Unless you are comparing landmark hotels, the newer hotel generally wins. Everything is newer, fresher and more up to date at the Paris. The Bally property goes back 30 years (formerly the MGM Grand) and caters to the middle/lower end market. The only thing that gets the rooms filled is price. If you can get a similar price at Paris, grab it.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Misty

We recently stayed at the Paris Hotel.
Very nice. Bally's is next door and you can take a tram to MGM Grand which is very nice and has a lion habitat for viewing. New York, New York is across from MGM and your 12 year old would probably enjoy visiting this hotel.

Paris is in a great location at center strip. Do go see the water fountain show that goes off every half hour after dark at Bellagio's.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Shar

I hear the excaliber and circus circus are more for kids. My niece is staying at excaliber because she will have a 16 year old. Now to me I was very disapointed in Circus Circus. I thought it was very noisy and dirty. I read the Excaliber was a upscale version to that. I think her room was 49 a night for next Sat. July 14.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 04:46 AM
mike

Take Paris for similar price, location definitely better, but on my next trip i would like to try Venetian or Treasure Island, though Venetian will costs a lot more, but awesome lobby you must go visit it.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 06:37 AM
King Arther

16 year olds will not like Excalibur.
It's more for 3-10 year olds.
And there really isn't anything 'upscale' about the place.
It's just newer than Circus Circus, but it's still pretty cheap and Holiday Inn looking.
It's by far the worst of the hotels built in the last 8 years or so.