Search

HOT days in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOT days in NYC?

I am bringing my folks (in their 70's) to NYC this weekend. They dont deal with the heat too well. I'm thinking of things to do with them to stay cool...
I was planning on the Met museum of Art one day and bringing one of those goofy little personal fans for my dad.

What do you do to stay cool in the city?

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:07 AM

My bf's parents are coming into the city, too. We got tickets for the Yankee game (we made SURE they are in the shade) but I'm not too sure what else we'll do. Perhaps a boat ride, a trip to Coney Island, and a street fair.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:52 AM

As long as you are inside, you will most likely need a light sweater or have your arms covered.
It might be thundery this weekend, be prepared for rain.
I always say that I would do the same thing if I were in Florida or some similar place, in and out of air conditioned buildings all day, a minimum of long walks in the sun.
The boats on the Hudson are good, always a breeze. Staten Island Ferry , free, nice views, on the breezey water!
Street fairs are good if you take a/c breaks, there will be all kinds of things happening for the holiday, I think it will be easy for you.
Have a great time, enjoy NYC!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:41 AM

Plan around buses and taxis, not the subway. It's an exertion getting into and out of the stations, and they are like saunas.

Go to the Museum of Natural History and maybe the Planetarium (which is called something else now) as well as the Metropolitan. It's different enough not to be a bore and very relaxingly spacious and cool. Dad won't need nis little fan indoors for sure.

I'd go to the Metropolitan in the morning, have lunch there which is nice, and then take a bus across 79th St through the park to Natural History.

I hoep you'll go to a show at night. If you're staying near the theatre districtyou can walk home, otherwise I suggest a post-show nightcap somewhere to wait till the taxi-seeking crowd clears, if the parents are a bit fragile I'd protect the from that scene.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:01 PM

Take the two-hour Circle Line cruise. Best is the "Harborlights" cruise.