Search

Horse riding southern Utah!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horse riding southern Utah!

Hi all,
The four us us (adults) enjoy horse riding for a few hours, but we all decided we don't really need the "edge of the cliff" type ride. Are there any horse rides in Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, or around Moab? (Those are the places we'll be staying after the South Rim.) Or rides in the parks that are gorgeous, yet not so...well, white knuckle experiences?

None of us like the "nose to butt" rides--where we're lined up in a row. Are there any horse riding places where it's guided, but with more open riding, and yet in a very scenic place?? (I know, we want it all!!) Thanks for any help! Beetles
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Hi 2 beetles,

Out of the riding I've done in and around the southern Utah Natl Parks, the only one that sounds like what you want is a ride that the Ruby's wranglers do near Bryce.

It's an all day ride however which makes it a small gorup! You trailer out from Ruby's and ride across open cuntry and up to the top of a mountain, back down again. Beautiful scenery and a short area where it's pretty steep, but the rest is fairly easy.

Next best might be the Red Rock Canyon ride that Ruby's does. Larger group, shorter ride, more nose to tail.

Don't bother riding in Zion - boring!

I haven't ridden around Capitol Reef, but I know there are some outfitters near Torrey.

Have fun!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:22 PM

We went on a 2 hour horseback ride outside of Torrey last year. The name is Capitol Reef Backcountry Outfitters.
Go to www.ridethereef.com. This was a lined up in a row ride for our kids first ride, but they also offer half and full day rides which might fit your desire. We did'nt ride in Capitol Reef Park, but west of Torrey a few miles. It was scenic with some of the fluted walls along the trail which Capitol reef also has along highway 24 and there were some stream crossings.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:39 AM

gwburk,

Doesn't sound like the horseback ride with Backcountry was all that fun.

I am considering them....
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:21 PM

Actually the ride was quite nice. It fit our family good and our guide, I believe his name was Cody, told us about the area and took a couple pictures of us on our horses. What we liked best was that Capitol Reef is not a crowded National Park. It was just him and us. I am pretty sure they do extended and overnight trips to other surrounding areas also.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:04 AM

So, you actually went into Cap Reef?

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM

No, our ride was about a 1/2 mile west of Torrey. I was just trying to convey how much I liked the remote feeling that the Capitol Reef area has compared to other Utah parks. The web site says there are longer rides that do take you into the park though.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM

Some years ago we were in the area and chose to take a horseback ride at Kodachrome Basin State Park instead of Bryce Canyon NP. Kodachrome Basin State Park, UT is located east of Bryce Canyon near Cannondale UT.

We enjoyed the horseback ride at Kodachrome Basin very much. It had a much more "open" feel than Bryce. No cliff edges, nothing white knuckle, no worry about heights. The scenery was just gorgeous too. We went for a hike after the horseback ride to just see more of the scenery. Its pretty cool. Different from Bryce. Its not crowded. It was just my family of four and two others on the ride, plus the guide. We opted for a shorter ride because my kids were 6 and 9 at the time.

Good luck and hope you find what you want.

You can google or call the park for more details.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM

We decided not to do any horseback riding.