Utah Itinerary

Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Utah Itinerary

We (parents and 3 boys ages 16-14) will be flying into Salt Lake City and spending 5-7 days in Utah. The first 1-2 days will be in Provo. We are looking for suggestions for the balance of the trip. We want to keep driving to a minimum- stay within 3 hours of Provo. We want first class resort accomodations in an area that offers hiking,horse back riding and mountain bike riding and possibly river rafting trips. We would appreciate any suggestions you might offer.

Thanks
Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:35 PM

The only place I can think of within 3 hrs with first class accomodations that meets your criteria would be in Park City. The Stein Erickson Lodge would be the nicest, but staying at the Marriott Mountainside would put you closer to more activities.

If you wanted, you could stay the entire time in Park City and just commute to Provo. Sundance may have some accomodations to suit you as well, but I'm not really familiar with them.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM

If you want a smaller, more intimate resort, than Sundance would suit you nicely. It is right up Provo Canyon, about 20 minutes away, and is a small, but very nice, upscale resort that is perfect for families. You probably know already, it is owned by Robert Redford. You also have the Provo River, which I believes does raft or float trips. If you want serious raft and hiking, horseback riding, then I would suggest Southern Utah, but that is approx. a good 5 hour drive.
Oh, P.S. you could also take the hike to Timpanogas Cave. This again, is very close to Provo and is a great place to visit.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM

Hi 5,

I agree. Either Park City or Sundance will fit your requirements and 3 hour limit.
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Hi 5trilbr,

Provo to Zion National Park entrance near Sprindale, Utah is more like a 4 hour drive. Most of the driving will be fast because it is on Interstate-15. Zion and Bryce are both excellent parks for hiking. I hear there is mountain biking in the Zion area but I don't know much about it. There is no white water rafting in the area but you can rent intertubes in Springdale, Utah and float down the Virgin River just outside the park. This is a lot of fun and you can see views of Zion as you tube. Our boys always loved doing this. (You could tube in Zion when they were young, but it's been banned in the park) There is horse back riding at both parks, but I've never done it at either. I hear Bryce is the better park for that. If you had some time when you left Bryce I would recommend driving scenic Hwy 128 to Torrey, Utah. This is one of the most scenic drives I've ever been on. Capitol Reefs National Park is just 11 miles east of Torrey if you wanted to do the short scenic drive in the park. Also has many great hiking trails.

Provo to Moab, Utah is about 3 hrs 45 minutes from Provo. Again, in Arches and Canyonlands, Island in the Sky district you will not be lacking in hiking trails. My all time favorite is the hike to Delicate Arch. Moab area has a lot of mountain biking trials. We've never done any, but I hear they are for the more experienced riders! There are white water rafting trips on the Colorado River out of Moab and we have done the 1/2 day one when our boys were young and we all really enjoyed it. If you rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle, there are many excellent 4 wheel drive roads to explore on. I like the 4 x 4 Shafer Trail up into Canyonlands and the 4 x 4 Long Trail back to Moab. The Potash Road and Kane Creek road out of Moab follow the Colorado River on opposite sides. There are petroglyphs on both roads. I don't know of horseback riding in the area, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any.

Except for way back in the 1970's, we have always camped in an RV so I can't help with lodging. We hardly ever eat out, we prefer our own cooking. I would not recommend the Bumbleberry Restaurant in Spingdale...to me it was worse than a Denny's.

Both areas are a great choice for 4 or 5 days. If you can, I'd make it 5 days. There is plenty to do in both areas. I would, however, not recommend that you try to do both areas in such a short time.

Posted and emailed.

Utahtea