Hood River Inn & Columbia Gorge Hotel

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:29 PM
benjamin

Hood River Inn & Columbia Gorge Hotel

Can anybody give me feedback on either of these hotels? What is the hood River Inn/Hotel like? I have heard pros & cons on both of these? Is the Columbia Gorge Hotel worth the $179.00

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:52 PM
sightseer

For something different, but a lot of fun, you might want to consider staying at Edgefield in nearby Troutdale: http://www.mcmenamins.com/Edge/

The place is on the National Historic Registry and features a pub, movie theater, brewery and winery. It's a kicked back place to relax and have an enjoyable evening after a day at the Gorge.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:10 PM
April

$179? We paid $230 back in April. Was it worth it? Not really. Our bathroom was very cold and you have to nab or ring someone to operate the elevator. Of course it's an old hotel. If it is worth staying, I'd have to say it is mainly for the grounds, which are quite lovely with the lawns, hedges, creek, and of course the waterfall. The breakfast is huge and, frankly, we found it rather gross - big slabs of fatty pork and bacon and weird tasting eggs. Nice fruit plate though.

When we left, I thought the owners should visit a place like the Campbell House in Eugene to see how a hotel ought to be run. The Columbia Gorge Hotel could be so grand.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:16 PM
April

Indeed, I would have liked to have tried the McMenamins Edgefield. What an interesting mix of people it attracts! Has a nice setting too.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:39 PM
lisa

Wish I'd stayed in one of those hotels. But, like the other posters, I haven't, but I will offer another alternative. This time, Skamania Lodge. It's only about 10 years old, on the Washington side, but still in the gorge (Edgefield Innn is outside of the gorge), across from the Bridge of the Gods, if you can find that crossing of the river on your maps. The rooms are fairly standard and are fine. The lobby is beautiful, with a lovely patio looking east to the river. They have a nice pool, great outdoor hot tub made of natural stones with a water fall, and a couple of places to eat. I think they have other amenities, like golfing, but we've never done that. It's a very relaxing place to stay, and may not be so expensive as the others. (They ran specials in the winter for $79/$89/night.) They have a killer Sunday brunch, too.

Very interesting, and just down the road to the east, is the Carson (or Carston) Hot Springs. You feel like you've stepped back in time, if you go there for a soak, wrap and massage. Or like you're visiting a Soviet Dacha, or something (not that I've ever been to one, or anything). The tubs have claw feet and are real old. You soak awhile, then wrap up in white towels and lay like a mummy, sweating. Then the massage. It's a real experience. You could ask about it whereever you call to stay, as it isn't real far from any of the hotels (though closer to Skamania Lodge). Be sure it's still open before you go, as I've heard a vicious rumor it's been bought up and will be "updated," "modernized," hopefully not ruined.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:41 PM
lisa

Sorry April, I see you stayed at the Columbia Gorge Hotel. Your opinion boosts my recommendation for Skamania Lodge.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:42 AM
Jeannette

We just got back from Oregon and we had lunch at the Columbia Gorge Hotel. The grounds are nice but the hotel is older, small and "stuffy." I wouldn't recommend staying there. We stayed at the Skamanian Lodge for two nights and were quite pleased. They have a varied range of prices so bargain. They quoted us $190 at the front desk and we got it down to $99 just by asking for AAA or Entertainment discounts (they never asked to see our membership cards). The meals there were a tad expensive but delicious. After long hikes, we really enjoyed the outdoor hot tub in a natural rock setting and the spa (included in the price of your room). Next time, I'd like to stay in Hood River but I'll try a hotel other than the Columbia Gorge Hotel.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
April

I was disappointed though that Skamania doesn't have a view of the gorge. We ate there but it struck me as a wooden box, convention hotel, so we didn't stay.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:44 PM
Jeannette

Skamanaia has a view of the Columbia River but it's not close enough for a view down the River and the Gorge. I didn't recall great views down the Gorge from the Columbia Gorge Hotel either but it's right on the River.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:05 PM
John

For proabably the best view of the river and the gorge, the Best Western in Hood River is right on the water, not cut off by train tracks. Unfortunately, it has all the charm of a Best Western. Haven't stayed at the Lyle Hotel in Lyle, WA (max funky) but it also ought to have great views. We prefer the Edgefield over any of the other places mentioned here, because when the sun goes down and the view goes away you're still in a fun and interesting place.