Search

Honolulu: Buffets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honolulu: Buffets

Any rants, raves or additions to these options?

Todai Restaurant
The Willows
Buffet 100
Parc Cafe - Waikiki Park Hotel

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Well, since you've asked...

Todai -- long, slow lines
The Willows -- okay

Haven't tried the others, but will take this opportunity to _rave_ about the sumptuous Sunday brunch buffet at Moana Surfrider!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

auntiemaria, thanks for telling it like it is!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:17 PM

I guess it depends what you are looking for....Todai is too crowded, and I've been there a couple times when they didn't have all the items I was expecting. If you like sushi, though, there is an ample selection.

The Willows is in a very nice setting, and I often like to take out-of-town guests there. You do have to be careful since not ALL the items are great. LOVE the portobello mushrooms and the Hawaiian food selections, and I do like the curry. The desserts are kind of cafeteria-ish.

Buffet 100 is very very very very cheap, good value! I would guess you'd want to go there for lunch--it's cheaper than dinner. This is good when you are entertaining a large group of people.

Parc Cafe is always a good choice. Little more expensive than the others, but always really nice with consistently good selections. You need to check with the hotel to find out the "theme" of the day, though.

I like the buffet at the Kahala Mandarin, downstairs, oceanside. I only know it by sight, I don't even know the name! Also a very nice setting for out of town guests, especially during the day so you can gaze out upon the ocean.

Indigo (downtown on Nuuanu Ave.) has a nice lunch buffet, but someone told me they are closing. Will try to confirm that soon. Anyway, the lunch buffet is mostly salads and the staff doles it out to you, but it's still very worth it.....for a SALAD (plus dim sum, included), I was surprised that I was so full that I could not eat again till lunchtime the next day!

Another vote for the buffet at the Moana Surfrider, or even the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. My friend works in Waikiki and she goes to either of those with her business partner for special occasions--like celebrating a successful sales period. Many of the hotels have very nice Sunday brunch buffets, and you can't really go wrong with most of them.

I've heard pretty good things about Makino Chaya on S. King Street, but have not tried it myself.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:09 PM

I've been to the Parc Cafe a few times on their Hawaiian night (I believe it's Wed night) and thought the food was pretty good. I haven't been to the Todai in Honolulu but was never impressed with the local Todai's in S. Cal - they're part of the same chain right?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:32 PM

I've been to Todai a few times, and yes, it is very crowded. The worst part is getting seated - I've found from past experience you have to be there quite early (by 6 p.m.) to avoid a wait of 45 minutes or longer. No reservations unless you have at least 6 (I think) in your party. Good sushi selection.

Willows is ok, but nothing I would rave about.

Buffet 100 is very cheap - maybe add another "very" to the end of MelissaHI's description. Good value, but the couple times I've been there, the food bordered between Chinese fast food and regular restaurant quality food. Don't expect anything fancy at all.

I've only been to the lunch buffet at Parc Cafe - it was a while ago, but it was quite good.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Anybody else want to chime in with aditional places?