honeymoon in oahu and maui HELP!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! My fiance and I are honeymooning in Oahu and Maui,in May, one week each island. We've done so much research our heads are spinning! What are the absolute must sees?? And is it really worth going to a luau? (I heard it stinks) Also, is it a good idea to rent a car? We are on a budget, but not a really tight one. This is our first time in Hawaii. HELP!!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:58 PM

Hi,
You need a car on Maui and I would do the Old Lahania luau on Maui (it is very romantic and small than most luau's). Also, drive to Hana and do the sunrise trip to Haleakala.

You might be able to get by without a car on Oahu (the bus is cheap and circles the whole island). Have you looked into packages to Hawaii through Pleasant Hawaiian? They have pretty good deals. You will want to try snorkling; it is very easy; you can rent the gear for a week and the shops tell you where the easiest places to snorkle can be found. Also, check out frommer's and fodor's Hawaii books at the library and make notes or online www.frommers.com and www.tripadvisor.com and of course fodors. Congrats and have fun!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:44 PM

From an old thread, this is my "top ten to do" on Maui (the old thread with others' suggestions is here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34440424)...

1. Take a kayak/snorkel trip in Maui's calm, clear waters...we did a trip through La Perouse Bay, but it is now closed to tour operators. There are other places to go though. Kayaking is really easy in the calm early morning ocean.

2. Stay a night or two in Hana at the end of your trip to really explore.

3. Get up at 5am and snorkel snorkel snorkel as many South Maui places as you can when it's super calm and there's no one out then dry out on the soft golden sand and do it all again...Palauea and Po'olenalena were two of our favorites south of Wailea...don't worry, neither the air nor water temps are much cooler that early, the water was very warm

4. Olivine Pools, it's like God's waterpark

5. Shaved ice with coconut ice cream on the bottom...we went to Local Boy in Kihei, it was incredible

6. Take the Pipiwai Trail (across the street from the Seven Deadly Pools) two miles out to Waimoku Falls...it follows the stream the whole way so it's constant waterfall/pool swim opporunities, gorgeous, easy hike, and the 400' Waimoku Falls at the end is breathtaking

7. To me a wonderful meal at a great restaurant right on the beach is way more worth your time and money than a cheesy luau...we sat right at the edge of the sand on Keawakapu beach at Sarento's and wouldn't have traded it for a second for a night at a goofy luau

8. I have to agree, that even though the "sand" you eat with your feet in at Hula Grill is like kitty litter, having drinks at their bar was a lot of fun, terrific ambience there and delicious drinks...avoid the Lahaina area as much as you can though, it's a real tourist trap and kind of a let down after a wonderful tropical day

9. Have some kids teach you how to really catch the waves on a boogie board...we had so much fun and it was even more fun surrounded by little kids who got a kick out of US

10. Catch the sunset, every night, from the beach...we watched it a few times on Black Sand beach in Makena, backed by a huge black cliff and totally empty except for the little crabs and the sea turtles floating near the shore

I also have a very detailed trip report from July 2003 here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34436140

Unless you plan to never leave the resort, you will need a car on Maui, everything is spread out around the island. Think about staying in a condo in Maui to save money on food by cooking some of your own meals and having a bit more room; we stayed in a great one, the Kihei Surfside near Wailea.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

love
roxy
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

SkippyW and Roxy
Wow!! This is amazing! thank you for your advice! We cannot wait for our trip, thanks for your help!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:26 PM

Yes you needa car in maui, i perfered a jeep. book a midsize car and when you arrive at the airport tell the car rental agency you want to upgrade and the last time it only cost you $10.. I have been three times and it worked all three times... Must go to David Pauls in Lahania for dinner try the firecraker shrimp and the Kona encrusrted lamb chops, also Mama's Fishhouse is a must. The road to hana is great leave early, pack a cooler and drive all the way around. The sunrise in Haleakala is great, bring blankets from your hotel. You can also horseback ride into the crater, I did it it was very fun, only 8 people on the ride, it takes about 2 hiours down 4 hours back. n You can also bike ride down the mtn, heard it was fun.....

You can't go wrong....... It is a wonderful place......

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

It's so wonderful to hear so much about Maui! Can't wait. What are the must sees for Oahu??
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Roxy - nice list of things to do on Maui. One gentle correction, however: On #5, it's called shave ice, not shaved ice.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Reply to rizzomu
Oahu:
1. Pearl Harbor (Arizona Memorial) as early AM as possible
2. Hanauma Bay for snorkeling, also early AM
3. Drive along coast to North Shore

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 06:32 AM

When on Maui you absolutely must go to see the Warren and Annabelle show. My wife and I went a few years ago and it is still one of the most memorable highlights of our trip. That's saying a lot considering we stayed on 4 islands over a period of 3 weeks.
http://www.warrenandannabelles.com/ You will not be disappointed.
Also, look for the guidebooks Maui revealed and Oahu Revealed, they are outstanding quidebooks unlike any others. The details and information is very accurate and they do not take profits for promoting anything. They'll flat out tell you if something is bad or not worth your time/money.

Have fun!!!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:41 AM

RE: Shave ice

Aargh, I know! I always say it correctly but sometimes in my typing the "d" snakes its way in there anyway! Glad you enjoyed my list!

love
roxy