Honeymoon in Nantucket

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Alison

Honeymoon in Nantucket

Looking to have our honeymoon in nantucket mid June. Looking for something nice and private on the beach, a good place to pull up a chair and a cooler of beer! Please post any recommendations or links

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:34 AM
nina

Alison, are you looking to rent a cottage, or would you prefer an inn? Mid June is still low season so you could get a great rate on a house. I like cyberrentals.com or weneedavacation.com. For very nice, yet unstuffy beachfront inns, try The Summer House in 'Sconset or the Cliffside Beach Club in Brant Point near jetties beach. Both are very beautiful, yet casual and you and your cooler of beer would feel right at home. A lot of people would recommend the Wauwinet but I think your cooler of beer would be most uncomfortable there. It's a little stuffy.

If you need more info let me know. We've been going every summer for the past 18 years.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Jan

Alison, I just read a review about the Wauwinet - 26 miles of beacg, the Inn has a private bay, their web site is impressive but I do not know anyone who has stayed there...

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:07 AM
x

Uh, the Wauwinet doesn't have 26 miles of beach, not even close to it. It is a nice place, though.

Nina, I'm curious why you haven't hooked up with one of the realtors on Nantucket after all these years?

Alison, visit www.nantucket.net for great info. Cliffside is a good suggestion, but I don't like the Summer House.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Len

The smallest rooms at the Wauwinet start at around $500/night, so it's not exactly the "relax with a beer cooler" headquarters for Nantucket.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:31 AM
nina

We have used used a realtor several times in the early years, but find the best deals directly through owners, or from friends who have friends, etc. Once you know the island very well, you can do without the realtor and their fees. In the beginning it might help to use a realtor if you aren't familier with the island and neighborhoods.

Another good source is the local paper. We have a friend who clips the vacation rentals and mails them to us and the prices are considerably lower than through any realtor, or website. The house we are renting this year we actually know, as we looked at it while under renovation last year. We rented directly from the owner at a great price.

The Wauwinet surely does NOT have 26 miles of beaches, considering the entire island is only 21 miles long! The Wauwinet is the most widely known inn, while it is beautiful it is stuffy, caters to an older crowd and I doubt very much would allow you to drag your cooler to the beach. In fact, you'd feel pretty silly doing so there. If you do want to go for an inn rather than a house, I think The Summer House sounds perfect. They have very charming, individual cottages right across from a beautiful beach in 'Sconset. We know 2 couples who honeymooned there and absolutely loved it.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:05 PM
Alison

Thanks so much for the responses! We're thinking about the Cliffside -- hopefully we can make reservations in time.

If there's some great spots to see, I'd love to hear more ideas.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:53 PM
eman

Go to Madaket Beach for Sunset, you can order a lobster dinner & a local caterer will set it up or you can bring a picnic dinner to the Beach. Very romantic.
Try the Ships Inn for dinner taht was also a romantic place. Stop at Boarding House for a cocktail. Have to check out the Brotherhood of Thieves, Rose & Crown and Atlantic Cafe for a more casual meal.
Have fun

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:55 AM
Alison

Just called Cliffside -- and they are filled? Is the Summerhouse a good, similar alternative? Thanks so much!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:30 AM
nina

Alison, The Summer House would be my first choice. It is so beautiful. I love 'Sconset. The Summer House is across the street from a beautiful beach, with a pool and fun poolside bar right on the beach. If they are full too, try the Wharf cottages which are owned by the White Elephant. The cottages and White Elephant are on the harbor rather than the beach.

If you still have no luck call Edith Delker in 'Sconset (you could get her number from a google search on "Edith Delker nantucket". She is a realtor with lots of small cottage listings. She might have a little cottage for you to rent. Also Jordan realty and Maury people have good websites with lots of photos of rentals. If you need any more info let me know. good luck!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:57 PM
Alison

Thanks -- I took a look at their site! Did you stay at the Summerhouse Inn or one of the cottages?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:33 PM
nina

We have a family so we always rent a house, but I've been to the Summer house for dinner and visited friends who stayed in the cottages. It's really a beautiful spot. I don't know if you're interested in a house, the but cost wise you could save a bundle. You could probably get a cottage for the whole week for what a few nights at the Summer House (or any other really nice inn) will cost. But then again, what better time to splurge then on a honeymoon!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:44 PM
Mae

You can check Nantucket.net for both reltors & hotels, athough not many hotels on the island-But los of B&B's if you want to go tat route.
Compass Rose realtyhaslots of listings in Sconset.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Maeoriginal

Nina,

Just a few corrections there. Nantucket is 3.5 miles by 14 miles. Mid-June is definately in season. For rental recommendations you can also call the Nantucket Chamber of Commerce or the Nantucket Visitor Servies, both of which do not charge a fee.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:52 AM
nina

Mae, allow me to correct your corrections. While mid-June is in season at most hotels (but not all), it is not for rentals. Rentals typically increase their rates beginning the week starting June 29th. That is why for many years we rented the last week in June rather than the first in July. It's always cheaper.