Honeymoon in Hawaii Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New York to Honolulu on AA used FF miles and flew business class.Fully reclined seats made the trip out there real easy. We had a stop over in LA. It was a good break for an hour. We arrived at 4P.M. rented a car and we were checked in at the Waikiki Parc by 5.Had a room on ther 14th floor with a small balcony which had a view of the ocean. The room was small but very clean and modern. Perfect for us since we were staying one night.Went over to House without a Key at the Halekulani hotel for drinks and a bite to eat. Hawaiin singers,hula dancers,sunset and Diamond Head in the background what a perfect ending to a long traveling day. We were exhausted and in bed by 8. Next morning staring at the ceiling at 4A.M. went down to buffet at 5:30am and we were off to Pearl Harbor. We were on the first boat to the Arizona and the Memorial - very moving experience. We left there at 10 and had 3 hours to spare. Our flight to Maui wasn't until 2pm went to KMart and bought some Aqua shoes and other supplies. We should of had an earlier flight to Maui didn't realize we would be done that quickly at Pearl Harbor. Arrived in Maui at 3 p/u convertible Sebring at $287/wk. Drove to the Four Seasons to be greeted with fire trucks.There was a fire in a laundry room and sprinklers went off causing water damage in our room. They moved us next door to the Kea Lani for one night.The room there was a beautiful suite with balcony over looking the pool and views of the ocean. We ate at Nick's fishmarket which was top notch. The Ahi Poi Pounder melted in your mouth. Next day we moved back to the FS an udgraded room with ocean view.Staff was very accommodating.Drove up to Lahaina for the Luau - Feast at Lele - excellent show and the food was good. Thursday snorkeled in the am and a couples oceanside massage at noon which was interupted by a lady yelling shark which turned out to be a turtle(get a grip). Went golfing at 3 only to be cancelled by a down pour after 5 holes. We ate at Sansei in Kihei an excellent sushi joint. Friday we drove up to Kapalua stopping at a couple of snorkeling spots (Black Rock,Honolua Bay - great snorkeling).We had lunch at the Plantation House at Kapalua Golf Course.Nice views of the ocean and golf course and food was good. Kept going to Napeole Blow Hole and then turned back for the trip back to the FS. After long day on the road had a bottle of wine down at the beach watched the sunset and went next door to HumuHumu for dinner which was a nice setting with good food. We were exhausted no dessert tonight.Saturday we went on a Kayak snorkeling trip in South Maui had a informative guide Griff the name of the comp. escapes me now.The water was a little murky but we did find some turtles. A good day on the water. Went back and had a nice relaxing day at the pool our last day at the FS.We had a credit from the washout in golf. Used it at the spa for some funky body wrap.Sunday we left the FS tough to leave -first rate.Doing the Road to Hana - started in Paia
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Before I get to Paia we ate at Sarrentos which has an excellent setting good food but the service was a little slow. No big deal maybe they want it to be an all night affair. On to Paia and the road to Hana.We ate at Charlies which had an excellent breakfast on our way out we saw Willie Nelson his local hangout. The Sunday before he put on an impromptu show.We started our trip to Hana which came up 2 miles short. Our last stop was Black Sand Beach along the way were magnificent waterfalls and beautiful scenery. We went down a side road and ended up swimming in a pool underneath a waterfall. The ride going was nice but the ride was nausating and tiresome.We couldn't get off the road quick enough. The spyglass house in Paia is where we were staying
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

It was situated on the water and was only 5 minutes to Mamas fish house where we ate that night it was the best meal we had on Maui. Also the most expensive but delicious.Back to the Spyglass.Monday we were up at 3am for the sunrise at Haleakala.We drove up ourselves about 11/2 hr from Paia to the top.It was freezing up there and overcast when the sun rose.We were grateful we didn't do the bike down because it started to rain and to us just doesn't look like any fun.Maybe it was overcast but sunrise seemed a little overrated. Went back to Paia for a cup of coffee and saw Laird Hamilton there. Back to Spyglass for a nap and then onto Kauai.We had a grand time on the island of Maui - exploring and playing there was a great experience.Everything was first rate food, accommodation, guides and the shows.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the great report! How did the Fairmont compare with the FS? We're planning to stay at the FS in Sept 05... just wondering. Did they say when they are upgrading the rooms?

Thanks,
Steve
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:17 PM

Who's Laird Hamilton?

love
roxy
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Steve I don't think you could go wrong with either one but we thought the FS was great. The rooms are comparable but I think the service at the FS was better grant it we were only at the Fairmont for one night.You will not be disappointed with your choice. As i sit in a snow storm I wish we were going back.
Roxy - Laird Hamilton is the surfer on the American Expres commercial. I didn't know him until a few weeks before we went. Only because a coworker is a surfer and told me about him. Thanks for your report in which I took the kayaking trip suggestion.Great time.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the report! We went to Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island this past summer and loved it. We are returning this summer and trying Kauai and are still deciding on our second island.

Where did you rent a Sebring for $287/week? That seems like a pretty good deal.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

We received this rate on the alamo web site using a coupon code-6t- that we received from www.biddingfortravel.com.I don't know if this code is still good but I received some good info on this web site to see what the best rates are via priceline. It tells what rates have been accepted. Also the convertible rental was 287.00 in Maui for 6 days and 258.00 for 5 days and 2 hrs in Kauai. We went last April and stayed at the Hyatt Regency which was a great place to stay.We did have a problem with our room because it was a 5 minute walk to the room from the lobby with no view. After asking the front desk to change the room and put us by the elevator near the lobby they obliged and had a nice room on the 3rd fl. overlooking the pool and beach.The weather was great on this part of the island.When we went up to the Princeville area it was overcast in the evening and the water was really rough making it tough to snorkel. Although the scenery on the North Shore was nicer. I think Kee beach was my favorite beach on both Maui and Kauai.Some good restaurants to hit on Kauai were The Beach House,Donderos at the Hyatt was an excellent Italian restaurant and on our way back from Kee beach we stopped at the Princeville to watch the sunset from the Living Room restaurant in the Hotel.A lounge type atmosphere with good sushi.Have a great trip.