Honeymoon Help!!!

Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Help!!!

Planning a honeymoon for June 2003. Plan on going to Kauai and Maui. I think in Kauai we are going to go with the Hyatt, any thoughts or other suggestions?

But Maui we are still up in the air. Maui we are looking at the Sheraton, Hyatt, Fairmont, ?? Not sure where to stay in Maui.
I think I would rather be in the Hyatt, Sheraton, section, more so than the Fairmont, as it appears it a bit more lively.
Anyone have any thoughts on best place to stay in that area???

Also is it worth the trip to see Pearl Harbor or is 3 islands to much moving around??
Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:44 AM
jcb

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

I was at the Hyatt Kauai last June for part of my honeymoon, and I wanted to let you know that there were tons of children vacationing there. Not that children are bad or anything, I just want to make sure that you thought about about that factor. Most evenings, we got a drink and sat out on the patio to enjoy the entertainment, and children were running around all over the place - not very romantic.

I personally preferred the Princeville over the Hyatt, but many others love the Hyatt and wouldn't go anywhere else.
Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

never thought of that, but I dont like the sound of that!!
Feb 5th, 2003, 12:21 PM

We stayed in Kanapalli last summer at the Westin and really enjoyed the area. There is a bike path that runs along the beach in front of the hotels that takes you to a small shopping village that has a few nice restaurants. I did not stay at the Hyatt but it looked really nice from the exterior. My sister has been to the Sheraton 3 times and really liked the property/location.

Kanapalli, to us, was better because it was closer to Lahaina (the town with lots a of shops/restaurants /bars). We went over to Wailea for dinner one night (about a 45 minute drive from Kanapalli) and thought the area was beautiful, but a little too stuffy/upity for us. It was more secluded and quiet than Kanapalli, if that is what you are looking for....

Hope I helped!
Feb 5th, 2003, 01:11 PM

If you are concerned about children, you may want to consider a stay in the Kapalua region in Maui.
Feb 7th, 2003, 10:18 AM

We stayed at the Maui Hyatt for our honeymoon in June of 1999. It was incredible. We had a "garden view" room which essentially was a parking lot view. The view still was very nice. I mentioned that we were on our honeymoon upon check in and asked for a free upgrade. They checked and said that none were available for that night, but we should keep checking. Our room was more than attiquite, so we didn't bother checking again. They did provide a free bottle of champaign in our room which was a very nice touch. We also got free breakfast each morning which was very nice. The pool area is nice and the grounds are equally as beautiful. You won't be sorry if you stay there.

We travelled a lot around the island and the 10-15 minute drive to Lahaina was pleasant. A drive on Maui is not like a drive anywhere else in the world. It is a very nice experience.

I would also suggest doing the bike ride down Haleakala. That was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. My wife and I didn't plan on going but decided when we were there. It is still the one thing that we always remember from our trip.

If you go to Pearl Harbor, you might want to try to coordinate that with your arrival or departure (assuming that you are flying into Honolulu.

You will have a great time!!
Feb 7th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Kal

Alooohaaaa,
A June honeymoon on Kauai's NoShore (P'ville Resort of HBR) is pure "ono".

You are lucky, tho. 23 yrs ago our honeymoon was a trip to Sears to buy a washer and drier with the "honeymoon money".
We were "practical" then and are making up for it now! ;-)
Good luck!
Kal
Feb 7th, 2003, 10:48 AM
OliveOyl

Kal...you made me gt; and remember! 33 years ago our honeymoon consisted of getting what "junque" I had not shipped from Va Bch where I lived, to Baton Rouge where we were going to live. We drove off in my '68 British racing green MGB, wire wheels flashing, junkque piled into every cranny. Stopped the first night somewhere in NC...had our first meal as a couple...fried chicken with petite pois canned peas (yuck). Decided to hit the keys "on the way" to Baton Rouge (hows that for youth), and spent our honeymoon in Islamorada, which is where we happened to be when we got tired driving the 3rd day. Jerry's Sunset Inn. LOL Our son is now planning his honeymoon at the Hyatt in Maui...where are today's honeymooners going to be vacationing 33 years from now!! Spontaneity--we had plenty of that and not much else...BUT...it was fun and here we are, 23 and 33 years later. We sure could have used that washer and dryer too...but that had to wait for the first baby, then used at that!

This isn't meant at all as slam on today's honeymooners, but I wonder...are things different now or were we weird? Heck at 25 we'd have thought going to HI as likely a prospect as going to the moon!

Feb 7th, 2003, 10:52 AM

My wife and I got married in Kauai in February 2002 and stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort. Overall the Hanalei Bay Resort was in a very convenient location for our honeymoon last year, Feb. 2002. The resort will give you a golf cart ride to and from the Beach in front of the Princeville Resort and room/suite rates can be found on the internet in the $150-$200 range. Of course the next door Princeville Resort Hotel has the most choice in restaurants and luxury accomodations starting around $275 a night, though one couple we met did not feel it was worth the price, but regardless where you stay you should check out the facilities there (many restaurants with sunset view). The beach in front of the Princeville is good for snorkeling and swimming, but if you travel north you will find outstanding beaches, mountain hiking trails, and river activities. Their is also a nearby heliport for aerial tour of Kauai and Napali coast. If it happens to be raining or the ocean is rough in the north, we found that by driving south to the Poipu area, that the conditions were favorable for beach going or hiking activities. We now find it more to our liking to stay at condo's over hotels. Condo's can be located in Hawaii magazine or searching online.
We also visited Pearl Harbor for a day, and went to the Big Island for a few days out of our 10 day honeymoon, so yes I believe it is possible to visit three islands. You should spend more time on Kauai and Maui, than on Oahu. Enjoy your Honeymoon!