Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Holiday Inn on 1st St. in Old Town Alexandria, VA - Comments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Lynn

Hubby and I are staying there during a trip to D.C. next month. Previously we've stayed at Holiday Inn Select on King St. but it was too much money for the little time we were in the room. The Holiday Inn on 1st St. is quite a bit less expensive. Anyone stayed there? Good? Bad? Close enough to walk to King St. and the Metro? Thanks for any replies.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Lynn

ttt

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Spider

This hotel is in the north end of Old Town. It's walkable to King St, and the Braddock Road Metro stop, but it's a long walk, and a few of the blocks over by the Metro are a bit sketchy.

I've never been inside the place, so I can't comment on that.

The location is why this place is cheaper. It's not in the heart of Old Town.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:08 AM
r-travels

The local bus line, "Dash" ( http://www.dashbus.com/ ) might go past your hotel. I recall looking at lodging locations slightly "off the beaten path" awhile back, and for some reason that Holiday Inn sticks in my mine. I do remember that many of the DASH buses provide good routing to points between the various Metro stops (King St, Braddock, Eisenhower, VanDorn, Huntington)

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:33 AM
Lynn

Thanks, Spider and r-travels, for the info.

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:44 AM
Ann

Haven't stayed there, but used to live very near by. Spider's right about the metro. Parts of the walk are through interesting areas, and if you don't know where you're going, it's easy to get lost.

There is a grocery store right across the street, and you're close to the Stardust restaurant, which is pretty good. Don't let anyone tell you to go to the Royal for breakfast. Truly revolting. You're also very close (walking distance) to my favorite restaurant in the DC area: Cafe Marianna.

You can walk into the heart of Old Town yourself (15 mins, approx). Go down to the path along the Potomac, and walk along that toward King Street.

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:58 PM
Lynn

Ann or Spider (or anyone else in the know) - the hotel offers free shuttle service to National Airport. Since I know there's a Metro station there, I'm assuming that would be a wiser decision than walking to the Braddock or King St. station, right? Thanks for the suggestion about Cafe Marianna, Ann. Anything special that you like to order?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:03 AM
Spider

Yes, there is a Metro station at National Airport. That sounds like a good idea. Just remeber that National Airport does not stay open late due to noise restrictions, so check with your hotel about the last shuttle time for your return trip. Have fun!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:12 AM
Ann

Walking to King Street is a hike from your hotel. Taking the shuttle to National puts you closer to DC, but just remember that the shuttle will be going along a major commuting route (GW Parkway), so plan accordingly.

Alternatively, check with your hotel about the Dash bus. You may be able to catch one to King Street or Braddock Road. The buses are good, and only cost $1 (and the return trip is free if you return in less than 4 hours). Or if you don't feel like walking too far, you can catch one into the heart of Old Town.