Jamestown and Yorktown

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:26 AM
MC

Jamestown and Yorktown

I'm traveling with three kids to Williamsburg this week. Can you do Jamestown and Yorktown in a day (each) or would either even take a whole day?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:39 AM
Samantha

I live about an hour away from Jamestown and Yorktown and have been to both. You can easily do both in one day. Interesting to see, but not all that time consuming. The drive on Colonial Parkway is pretty, especially at this time of the year with the trees budding. Enjoy.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:52 PM
Susan

You may already be aware of this but I wanted to make sure you realize that there are two Jamestowns. And actually, come to think of it, two Yorktowns. The Jamestown/Yorktown Foundation runs the re-creations of both. But there are also National Parks at both sites. Foundation admission does not pay for park admission. Your kids would really enjoy the Jamestown Foundation site. It has an Indian village, the boats, and fort. The reanactors (sp?) do a great job. The NP there is the actual site and has a nice museum and a great archeological demonstration. I haven't been to the Yorktown site or explored the park much. I think you can get a lower price for both Foundation sites and a National Park pass will get you into both parks. The parkway is worth the drive. If the kids are getting restless, you can stop at the beaches for some exploring. If you're in Yorktown and looking for dinner, drive across the bridge to Gloucester Point for dinner at River's Inn. You can eat great seafood on the porch overlooking the marina. Call for directions. Its 10 min. and the bridge will cost $2 one way.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:30 PM
Joy in Virginia

Do stop by the Yorktown victory Center which has displays, info about the Revolution. I would recommend begin at Jamestown, then drive Colonial Parkway to Yorktown, see sites there.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Aunt Jennie

The Jamestown site is actually run by the Education Department of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and is geared towards educating children. It is wonderful. It is similar to the Plymouth Plantation in Massachusetts. I think you could spend several hours there.

I haven't been to Yorktown in years or to the achaeological site of the real Jamestown, but, had we had time, we'd have gone to the latter.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:51 AM
Elizabeth

A note about Jamestown, location of the original site of the first permanent English settlement. The Island is administered by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Anitquities and the National Park Service. It offers an active archaeological site where visitor can see up close and personal the discoveries that are rewritting American history. On May 10, a new interactive exhibit will let visitors become the archaeoligist to puzzle out the clues.

A mile away, the Jamestown Settlement, is a living history museum with museum facilities and a recreated fort and ships that compliment the programs at Jamestown Island.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:55 AM
Chris

Anyone going to Jamestown with kids has to check out the glass-blowing demonstration in the woods between the "real" Jamestown and the "fake" one. You walk way back in the woods and there is a Colonial-era open-sided house where several Colonial-clad folks do glass blowing like it was done back then. You're right up close and it's totally cool and fascinating. My son liked it better than Jamestown itself!