Holiday inn downtown soho nyc

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holiday inn downtown soho nyc

Does anyone know if the Holiday Inn Downtown- Soho is a safe/clean hotel option? The website doesnt give any pictures of the area or the outside of the hotel so that kind of scares me. We've been given a good rate for the 2nd wknd of December here and that's why we're considering it. Plus, we'd like to stay near SOHO and this seems like an affordable option. It's on the outskirts of Chinatown and I'm just not sure about being around there at night. Thoughts?? Thanks!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM

Have you checked Tripadvisor? They're usually a good source for candid photos and comments.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM

Have stayed there. Very good property IMO. Still have easy access to midtown at cheaper prices.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

I will check tripadvisor....

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM

Is this the Holiday Inn just off Canal in Chinatown?

If so, that ain't "SoHo."

(I live here, so I can't comment on the rooms, but if that's the hotel, the location is not good.)
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
mp

The location is great - 1 block from the 6 train and the R train- the Lexington Ave. line and the Broadway line - a couple of blocks from the A and E train - the west side line. easy walk to the center of Chinatown - 5 minutes or, in the other direction, the center of Soho - 5 minutes.

It's not a quiet area - it's quite commercial, a block north of Canal Street. lots of inexpensive shops and street-like vendors, sort of open stalls selling knock-off bags and watches and stuff - but also, tons of good restaurants and bars are close by.

I haven't been inside the hotel, but I work a few blocks away. It's very busy, very safe, lots of car and foot traffic, even late. If you have a good rate I'd jump on it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
mp

I don't understand Gekko's comment of it not being "good" unless he means, it's not good because it's too commercial, it's not a pretty,residential block. It will probably have street noise - it IS near the approach to the Holland Tunnel, and rush hour traffic will be problematic - but as long as you don't take a taxi or bus back to your hotel at 6pm, that won't really affect you. And you are interested in a weekend stay, yes?
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM

The neighborhood is convenient and safe - if not the most pleasant. That's why the rates are such a good deal. And it's not in SoHo.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM

But really, it is only about a 10-minute walk to Soho..I would jump on it for the location, if you are at all interesting in eating Chinese food and wandering around in Chinatown or the Lower East Side.

It is supremely safe in that area, even late at night. And good subway and bus connections to other places..
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Do you think the double room would be big enough for 2 couples? We dont need a lot of space because we dont plan on spending time in the room.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 05:29 PM

A double room for 2 people is not big enough for 4. If you've got the Park South, stick with that. This Holiday Inn is in Chinatown, not on the outskirts.

If you want to see what the street looks like go to maps.google.com and get a street view.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:00 AM

I've seen some rooms in that hotel (several years ago) and they were pretty small ... just big enough for 1 double bed. But if they offer an option to have 4 people in a room, I can't argue with the hotel.

It's an excellent location for a tourist. Right in the heart of Chinatown and away from the madness of Midtown. If you are worried about safety, I believe that the police precinct is on that block or the next one. It's not a pretty neighborhood at all, but it's especially convenient to several subway lines, and there are some delis and grocery stores within the surround blocks ... though not many breakfast diners. And you can avail yourself of dim sum within 2 or 3 blocks. Little Italy is 2 blocks away.

It is technically in SoHo, since it's north of Canal but south of Houston, and on the very northern edge of Chinatown. All the SoHo stores are within a 10-minute walk.

My main concern is your insistence that 4 people share a room, especially since only about half of Manhattan hotels have rooms large enough for that. Just make sure that the hotel you book has an option for 4 people. If so, then the room should accommodate 2 double beds. It will be extraordinarily tight, but it will work if you don't mind the discomfort and lack of privacy. I'd feel more comfortable if you stayed in a newer hotel since new-builds tend to have slightly larger rooms.

If you end up staying there, I recommend L'Ecole, the restaurant of the French Cuilinary Institute at Broadway/Grand. They have a nice prix-fixe dinner, where you get a lot for your money of very well prepared food.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 06:23 AM

For four people, have you tried the Embassy Suites? It's near the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, and ground zero. We walked to SoHo from there. You can get a bedroom with two beds, and a front room with a pull out sofa. Plus a great hot/cold breakfast buffet included.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Sorry -

It never occured to me that you hadn't booked a double double room (that is, 2 double beds). You definitely need to specify that and have a look at the rates.

The regular rooms are a little larger than 1 double bed.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, we have booked the Park South hotel on 28th and Park, executive double double. I like the neighborhood and it's right next to the 6 train. Should be able to hop down to SoHo easily. Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants (asian, italian, french) or bars (20s crowd, lounge type) around this area?
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 04:35 AM

That area is smack dab in the middle of things as far as dining and nightlife are concerned.

Artisanal, which has excellent fondue if you like that and also great cheeses, is nearby on 32nd. It's a French bistro.

There are about a dozen restaurants on Park Avenue between 28th Street and 14th Street, and some of these have a lively bar scene.

There are many bars on 3rd Avenue between 35th and 33rd streets, but these are not really very loungy ... more sports bars. I'm not very good at nightlfe.

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM

I stayed here a couple of years ago and found it to be just fine. I used to live in SoHo so was able to walk there and because I am familiar with the subway system, found it adaptable to all subways. It's about one block north of Canal St. and it's always busy. And, access to Chinatown is a plus. Haven't checked their recent rates but it was about $150/night and that's very reasonable these days. I would stay there again.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Jenny I am wondering if you might have the wrong impression of Soho...are you thinking that this is the prime nightlife area in the city?

I may be wrong here but I think of Soho more as a shopping area than a place for great food or night life.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 01:28 PM

The area around this hotel is DEAD at night.

This is about the last place I'd suggest a tourist stay, location-wise.

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

SoHo to me means shopping and maybe dining at night, although I've never ended up there for dinner! We've had a change of plans though......since everyone told me that the Park South was so small, we've opted to look at other options for the hotel. My friend's DH works for the government and has gotten us some FABULOUS government discount rates at the Grand Hyatt Grand Central Station and the Courtyard by Marriott Times Sq. I know these areas are both touristy and I would rather stay somewhere down south, but we wont be in the hotel much anyway. Anyone have a recommendation or preference for either of these hotels??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information