Hints needed on San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a question on here a few days ago and received some interesting comments and thoughts.

I have another question----
Should we rent a car or get transfers from and to the airport and rely on public transportation?

I'm not really a fan of public transportation, but it sounds like parking is atrocious.

We are tourists, meaning we want to do the touristy things-- Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, etc.....

If you know a decent motel, let me know.

Please keep in mind, our budget is not unlimited. It has a low ceiling.

What would your suggestions be?

Again, thanks for your help.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Every one has a different "ceiling". What is your actual budget.

And no -- you do not need/want a car in SF. Renting one for a day to drive up to Marin county or into the Wine country - a car makes sense. But for SF itself - not at all.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Hello magnumholmes, on your other thread you got a lot of information for sure.

If you are planning on spending your time in the City of San Francisco you will probably not want a car.

"Our budget is not unlimited". What does that mean? You should advise what you can spend per night for lodging in order to receive some informative answers. The more concise information you post the more accurate information you will receive to help you have a wonderful time in SF.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Transfers from the airport? If you stay in Union square or Embarcadero area, use BART. If other areas, just hop into the first available shuttle, confirm with the driver it goes to your area.

You can fly to SFO or OAK, same convenience if arrive at daytime. At night, OAK shuttle is a little more expensive.

Check Expedia websites for hotels, see what is in your budget, come back here with the names to confirm they are in safe areas. Some, like Civic Center, are not. Click on "show hotels on the map". You can also sort them out by price, location.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Just a few suggestions:

1. Do not do "touristy things"...like Alcatraz or Fisherman's Warf. The ONLY people there are tourists. No one from SF actually goes there.

2. Do San Francisco things...like:

A. walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.

B. go to the SF Museuem of Modern Art

C. go to the new De young Museum and the Conservatory and the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park

D. walk along on the Embarcadero and go to the Ferry Building for lunch.

E. do the 49ers walking tour.

F. go to North Beach.

G. go to The Marina and Coit Tower.

H. go to some good restaurants (NOT at Fisherman's Warf)...of which there are 100's.

I. take the Ferry to Sausalito...or Tiburon for lunch.

K. walk down Polk and/or Castro snd/or Union Streets.

L. go to the Cliff House for drinks at sunset.

M. go to the Palace of the Legion of Honor.

There's SO much to see/do....you can't afford to waste your time and money.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:57 PM

I read your other thread so now I am a little confused. You said you were staying in a hotel in Redwood City and were asking about driving into SF. Now you are asking about motels for a decent price. I thought you said your hotel was part of a package deal. Are you looking to change to a hotel/motel in San Francisco?

It helps to know what your budget is but I can recommend Columbus Motor Inn. They also have sister properties that are similar in price. If you do get a car for one or two days to drive outside the city, Columbus Motor Inn has free parking. As you have been told, free parking in SF is worth quite a bit. I liked the location of Columbus Motor Inn. Quick walk to Fisherman's Wharf for your trip to Alcatraz. Also a quick walk to North Beach (Italian section of town) and from there on into Chinatown and Union Square. Also close to Coit Tower. A bus runs right in front of the motel and the cable car turnaround is one block over. www.columbusmotorinn.com

So let us know if your plans have changed. Also as far as things to do, the list Ramblero gave you is a good one. Most people who live in SF, say don't go to Fisherman's Wharf. But you are a tourist so you'd probably want to visit it when you are on the way to Alcatraz. It's not my favorite part of town but it's something to do once (and that's usually enough).
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Don't rent a car. It will be a hassle and expensive to park, and you won't want to use it. The city is compact. You can walk or take short cab rides around town. And you can either take the BART (subway), shuttle, or a taxi from the airport to your hotel.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
I also recommend Columbus Motor Inn, stayed there for 4 nights April 2007. Found it very convenient, walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf, North Beach, Coit Tower (go at sunset for some awesome views). We caught the bus outside the hotel to the centre of town.

We also took a shuttle from SFO to the hotel. Took quite a long time would probably take a cab next time.