Hilton Union Square SF

Feb 21st, 2010, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Hilton Union Square SF

Wondering about the location of the Hilton Union Square in San Francisco. I read in another thread that west of Union Square there are some problem areas. This hotel gets very good reviews on tripadvisor. Is the block it's on alright? Would be happy to hear from anyone with personal experience staying there.
Feb 21st, 2010, 04:10 AM

This location is just fine. You will see and encounter homeless and street people everywhere in San Francisco including Union Square. The Hilton is in a good place.

Be sure and visit the restaurant lounge on the top floor. One of the better city views.
Feb 21st, 2010, 04:42 AM

mclaurie, I'd agree with stumpworks - that location would be a problem only for the truly feint of heart! Officially, I think it's in the Tenderloin district, though right on the edge, which was problem maybe 20 years ago, but I think it's much better now.
Feb 21st, 2010, 05:40 AM

It is in an okay area. It is a very convenient location.
Don't you live in NYC? It won't be much different.

Lots of great Indian restaurants in the area and you are just a block or 2 from cable car, Market St. & F line trolley, BART station, Union Sq. etc. If you want a car for the day, Dollar has office right there and they have great rates.

IF the price works for you, go for it.
Feb 21st, 2010, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

My sister-in-law from England is thinking of staying there on her own. She's not feint of heart but should she be coming home alone at night, I want her to feel comfortable. Another SIL will probably be at the Westin St. Francis. I'm assuming this 2 block walk is fine?
Feb 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM

coming back alone from where - if it's a show, she could just get a cab if she is anxious

I am fairly streetwise (grew up in NY, lived in SF for many years) and I don't like to walk alone at night anywhere in town. Not that it's unsafe - I just feel more comfortable in a cab or with someone.
Feb 21st, 2010, 05:35 PM

The hotel itself is pretty similar to the NY Hilton -- huge box in a decent location (I've never seen the rooms, nor have I been inside in many years). I drove through the neighborhood just last night. It is IN the Tenderloin. The Tenderloin is not the same as it was when I first moved here -- then it was all drugs and prostitutes. Now now it's mostly just very very low income, homeless and "sketchy", at least in three directions (all directions other than toward the Westin St. Francis). I'm not sure there's any real danger, but I do think at night she will feel uncomfortable - I would. During the day, it's just unattractive and not very pleasant.
Feb 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM

If they aren't staying in the same hotel anyway, I'd personally priceline a hotel in Union Square East zone. Then she'd still be close to the St Francis but in the opposite direction from the Hilton/tenderloin.
Feb 21st, 2010, 05:52 PM

As a woman traveling alone, I'd stay at the Union Square Hilton and take a cab after dark. The rooms are quite nice and the staff very accommodating.