Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is Duarte's (Pescadero, CA) as good for breakfast as it is for pie?

Feb 16th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

We're going on the Ano Nuevo elephant seal guided walk this Sunday, but late enough to have a decent breakfast first. We were thinking of stopping at Duarte's - haven't been there in 30+ years - but we could stop anywhere along the coast from Half Moon Bay to Ano Nuevo. Any suggestions?
Feb 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM

Never had breakfast there, but you could do it for us in the name of fodors research.

BTW...I bet a piece of warm olallieberry pie would taste great for breakfast.
Feb 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM

Pie for breakfast!!!
I've not been to Duarte's for breakfast, but we do enjoy an occasional breakfast The Main Street Grill in Half Moon Bay.
Feb 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM

We love Duarte's but have never been there for breakfast. But how bad could it be? Everything we've ever had there has been great.

Several years ago we saw the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo. It was quite a trek to get to the beach where they were, but well worth it.
Feb 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

For the record, breakfast at Duarte's was excellent! I had french toast (thin kind), perfectly cooked - a little crispy on the outside, moist on the inside. My only complaint is that they serve "breakfast syrup", not real maple syrup. My DH had scrambled eggs, hash browns and bacon - all good, in particular the bacon was great. Service was very very good. We sat there a long time because we were early for our elephant seal tour and it was pouring, so we were in no rush to get to Ano Nuevo. No problem - they just kept pouring coffee. The place is in a time warp -- I don't think it has changed one iota in the 30 or more years since I was there last!

The elephant seals walk was really good. We thought about ditching it (since we can go anytime Ha Ha (we've lived here nearly 37 years and have never been before)) because of the weather, but we were mostly dressed for it, and decided to slog on, and we were glad we did. Our docent was pleasant and knowledgeable, the seals were very active (they're more active in cooler, rainy weather), and it stopped raining by the time we got out to the seals. Very glad we went. Next up: Alcatraz (I've been, DH has not)