Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hilton Head Island - North Forest Beach a good location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a stay for next summer for our family and one other to share a house. Between the two families we will have 6 kids ranging from 7 yrs old to less than 1 yr.

A good beach is high priority (although I assume all the beach areas are nice), bike paths, tennis courts and good dining options and other activities would be a plus.

We've looked at Forest Beach, Sea Pines, and Palmetto Dunes. "North Forest" Beach in particular seems to have a lot of good houses. Is there any advantage to one of these areas vs. another?
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Topping.

A little more research has informed me that North Forest Beach is not a gated area, whereas Sea Pines and other plantations are. What's the disadvantage to not being in a gated community? Will we be able to visit gated areas to get to shops, restaurants, etc.?
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM
GoTravel

It depends. Personally, that is the thing I hate about Hilton Head.

You can't get into any of the plantations unless you are a guest or live there.

I think Wexford is the nicest but there isn't shopping or dining in Wexford except for the club and it is private.

Your kids will not care.

You can get into Sea Pines but you have to pay.

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Do you mean pay a fee at the gate?
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM
DRJ

North Forest Beach is not a "gated community". It is a series of small roads leading from Forest Beach Drive to the ocean. There are some new, large multi-family type homes and a lot of 1970s "beach houses". The beach is just as good here as in, for example, Sea Pines. The gate fee for Sea Pines is $5. You won't get into Wexford, Long Cove, Palmetto Hall or Indigo Run without a pass from a resident. However, one can enter Palmetto Dunes, Shipyard, Hilton Head Plantation and Windmill Harbor by getting a (free) pass to a hotel, tennis center or the HH Yacht Club (dining).
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM

North Forest Beach is where we stay, and in fact will be there next month. To us, who travel to HHI often, it is the perfect location. The beach is huge, the neighborhood great (nice houses, tree-covered, quiet streets) and you're close to lots of restaurants.

There's no reason to worry about the gates - there's plenty to do outside of them. I think in our last 10 trips we've maybe paid once to got to CQs in Harbortown (Sea Pines).

You'll want your house to be on the beach side of North Forest Beach Rd. And the further you are from Coligney Circle, the more open space you'll find on the beach.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

That's really helpful - thanks. I'm glad to hear that it may not be a big hindrance to not be in a gated community. I'm pretty excited to try out HHI. We've been going to Kiawah for quite a few years, but housing options are limiting us as our families have grown!

Brian -- is your advice because North Forest Beach Rd. is particularly busy, or just a good measure of beach proximity?
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Perhaps the tidal patterns have changed by now, but when we regularly visited HHI in the 80's and early 90's there was a serious erosion problem on North Beach. The ocean was eating away at the beach, and there were several major restoration projects launched.

Other than that, we found nothing wrong with North Beach, in fact preferred it, because you were away from the heavily travelled traffic circles nearer the south end. There's shopping, restaurants, etc., all over the place.

I love HHI, despite its increasing popularity and resulting high traffic. You'll be on vacation, so you will have to relax while driving and add a little more time to get where you want to go.

Jim
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 03:37 PM

The road isn't real busy, though you wouldn't want your younger kids crossing on their own. And it is a good measure of proximity - it feels more beachy to be on the beach side if that makes sense.

And no worries about erosion at North Forest Beach (which is on the south side of the island near the traffic circles). The beach is very large.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the information. I assume it will still be possible to play golf at some of the other plantations (as long as we're willing to pay up). Is the same true for tennis?
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:49 AM

To offer a counter view, we visit Sea Pines twice a year and find it a perfect place to avoid the crowds. It has restaurants, endless beaches, bike paths, great kid entertainment and grocery stores at the gate. There is little to no reason to leave during the week.I am convinced that the $5 daily fee (weekly guests pay $5 for a weekly pass) is what keeps it so nice!Even for day visitors, where else can a car load of visitors enjoy a day of entertainment for less than the price of 1 movie admission?
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Sea Pines jumps up the priority list....

I'd love to hear more about the kid entertainment options. Sea Pines' website has some info, but first-hand accounts are really helpful.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Why did you choose Hilton Head. Sterile Island.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 05:38 PM

Sea Pines has a small ampitheater area on the marina where Greg Russell puts on a singing/joke-filled "concert" for kids or the young at heart during most summer nites. Their website has the exact dates and times. Most of my experience comes from the South Beach area which has more generic live music that the kids seem to like just as much. They also have face painting, etc. I think their website is saltydog.com. They also have webcams that show it like it is. Hope this is helpful. If you go, write back and I'll give you easy directions to watch the dolphins in the nearby Sound.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

cheapbutnice -- will do. Dolphins are a big thrill for the kids. (Actually, the adults too.)

Gretchen -- where would you suggest? Here are some of the things we're looking for -- large house with pool, expansive and safe and relatively uncrowded beach, nature, bike paths, good golf and tennis, enough variety in shops, restaurants, and entertainment to keep things interesting for 2 weeks.

We've gone to Kiawah for the last 6 years and enjoyed it very much, but are finding housing options expensive and limiting. I know some people don't like HHI, but given that it seems to meet the above criteria, I'm willing to give it a try and see if it works for us.

My question is serious though -- where would you recommend instead?
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 05:16 AM

"Here are some of the things we're looking for -- large house with pool, expansive and safe and relatively uncrowded beach, nature, bike paths, good golf and tennis, enough variety in shops, restaurants, and entertainment to keep things interesting for 2 weeks."

You've described HHI perfectly.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Cheapbutnice -- if you're still out there, I'd love your directions to see the dolphins. Our kids will be thrilled.

We will be staying in North Forest Beach.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:37 AM

To see the Dolphins on a budget. Go to Sea Pines (the $5 pass is good for a full day) and follow the signs to South Beach.Park in their lot and walk away from the gate (actually heading west)for 300 yards?On the left you will see an opening thru tall pine trees to the Sound which is relatively narrow.There are usually Dolphins visible but the best time seems to be 2 hours after high tide.Be sure to also visit the shops in South Beach for Tshirts and visit Harbor Town to see the beautiful marina and shopping.You can easily spend the day in Sea Pines or make 2 trips.The evening entertainment during the summer in HT will be the kids' favorite.