Hilton Head in Sept.?

Search

Hilton Head in Sept.?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilton Head in Sept.?

A friend who lives in England is coming in September and we are trying to decide what to do for the week she is here.

What are the crowds like at Hilton Head in September? My budget is tight, but I have a timeshare, so I thought I'd see if we could get anything in Hilton Head to do some exploring in the area. We both like the coast (we spent a week in Newport, RI, before and loved checking out the Cape and the lighthouses). She lives and works in London so going to a city or to Orlando does not really appeal to her.

Think Hilton Head might suit us? Think timeshare availability will be there in Sept.?
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Can't really address the timeshare issue, but if you can dodge hurricanes, HH is wonderful in September. The crowds are less. The weather is still hot, but it gets cooler in the evenings and the water is warm. We like to stay at the Hilton in Palmetto Dunes. It is significantly cheaper off season. There must be a million timeshares in HH. I'm sure you'll find something.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:56 AM
GoTravel

Gorgeous perfect weather.

Ocean temps are still in the 80s and the air temps are still in the nineties but the humidity has backed off.

My favorite time of year.

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Hurricanes may be a concern, so I'd spring for the travel insurance to cover your rental costs. Really saved us a few years ago when we had a Sept rental in the Outer Banks.

The golf courses also may be "burned up" at the end of the season. Don't know if golf is a priority.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:27 AM
GoTravel

lisette, September is the start of our golf season and we spend all summer getting them in excellent shape so the courses are perfect by September!

Big caveat, they are also very expensive in September. Harbortown will be close to $250 for green and cart.

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Sorry for the misinformation! I thought the golf season was late spring since the courses looked "worn" when we were there one Memorial Day. Thanks for correcting, GoTravel.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info ... golf is not an interest. Hadn't even thought about hurricanes! Now wouldn't that be exciting for my friend from London!

- Rae
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:42 AM
GoTravel

lisette, fortunately we have two golf season here; Spring and Fall so yes the courses were worn out by Memorial Day!

Spring is February through the begining of June and then mid September through the beginning of December.

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:18 AM

I went during the first week of September last year and had great weather.There was a hurricane stuck off shore that was no problem but you need to keep that possibility in the back of your mind.Sightseeing is great with a car. We love Savannah but usually settle-in and mellow out more than we plan.We use Salty Dog. com villas but others seem to have great luck with vrbo.com.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Hurricanes and related weather are a concern at this time of year, but HH is lovely and worth a visit. The Comfort Inn just off the beach (about three blocks) offers amazing prices during the off season, so you might consider checking there. Bluffton has a cute historic district and is only about 10-15 minutes away, and Savannah is about 30-40 minutes by car. Charleston is a couple of hours.