Hilton Head Hotels

Aug 5th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Hilton Head Hotels

I am traveling to Hilton Head with my wife and two children. We plan on staying in one room. We have reservations at both the Hilton and Marriott Beach and Golf Resort. We cannot decide which is better - the Hilton seems to have much larger rooms but the Marriott has more amenities. Does anyone have opinions or recommendations as between the two?
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:39 PM

We stayed at the Marriott last summer and were very happy with our stay. The hotel was renovated about 2 years ago. The hotel is situated right on an excellent stretch of beach along with nice pool. The rooms were a decent size and clean. We have 2 boys and never felt cramped with the room size. I would have no problem staying there again. We did not see the Hilton but did go to the Westin. Thw Westin has much better grounds and pools but was more than double the price that I got at the Marriott. So if money is not the issue, I would recommend the Westin. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Aug 5th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, tomct. Did you find the Marriott crowded? A number of posts on various sites mention that there is a competition for lounges at the pool.
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:10 AM

I much prefer the Hilton to both the Westin and the Marriott. (although it has been a few years since I stayed anywhere but the Hilton).

The rooms at the Hilton are huge! Some of the biggest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. My favorite part, however, is the lagoon/pool area between the two wings of the hotel. There are brackish water lagoons in the courtyard, holding koi & turtles and attracting birds. There is an adults only pool a bit away from the larger kids pool. Also a nice boardwalk area for lounging that's right on top of the dunes. You can see the ocean but keep the sand out of your pina colada. They always have a James Taylor wanna-be in the afternoons and there's a beach bar. They have some kind of kids-club I have seen advertised.

What amenities does Marriott have that the Hilton does not? I do remember being served champagne there while standing in line to check-in because something had gone wrong and we were having to wait forever.
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Gwen86

We stayed at the Marriott Beach and Golf Resort over Easter this year. I was very pleased and would stay there again. The room was large and very nice. The pool was nice, but it was crowded. Definitely eat at Charley's Crab.

Aug 13th, 2003, 09:10 AM

I stayed at the Hilton in 1996 and found it to be wonderful. The rooms were very big and nice. Someone mentioned the kids pool and the adult pool - we loved that. The grounds are beautiful. The staff was very nice. I can't speak for the other resorts, but I wouldn't hesitate going back.
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:11 PM

We have stayed numerous times at the Hilton before going to a timeshare. Love it. Great beach, pools, food (Mostly Seafood restaurant), large rooms with kitchenette for breakfast, snacks and lunches. Staff is terrific. Even have a little grocery on site. Cannot beat it for the price. Much better than the Marriott.
Aug 16th, 2003, 01:00 PM

We stayed at the Hilton in June, and it was honestly one of the best vacations we've ever had! Loved the big rooms and balcony. Forget oceanview----too many trees! But the courtyard view is gorgeous, with trees, ponds, fountains, etc. Used the little kitchen area for many meals-----microwaved frozen dinners, used the fridge for milk, sodas, sandwich meat. The staff is wonderful. Be sure to rent bikes (not from the Hilton---very $$ there). Many places in Hilton Head to rent bikes.
We loved the bike trails!