Search

Hilton Head Golf

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:18 AM
george

Hilton Head Golf

Vactioning in Hilton Head at the end of April. Would like to golf with my wife and son. We are "duffers"... not great golfers. Could you reccommend courses that may not be as expensive or demanding?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:24 AM
x

April is peak golf season in HH. Your best bet is a public course.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Sidney

I'll tackle this one. Although I am the board's acknowledged expert on Hawaii, I must tell you that I am quite proficient at providing Hilton Head advice.

April is peak golf time in Hilton Head. The tournament at Harbourtown is that month (I don't know this year's sponsor) and most northern golfers take an early spring trip here to tune up their game. If golf is important to you then you should probably make tee times prior to your arrival. Tee time prices are also peak at this time.

If you are looking for a more relaxed golf game at slightly cheaper prices consider going off island a couple miles to Rose Hill Plantation. If you want to stay on island then consider the Barony course.

You're welcome.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:05 AM
x

Sidney, nice advice but any course in HH in April that is not a city course will be well in excess of $100. Harbourtown is probably $200 if not more.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Sidney

Exactly. That is why my first reccommendation is to go off island to Rose Hill.

I have played almost all the courses in that area and frankly the public courses (re city owned--Rose Hill and the Barony are public courses though privately owned) don't measure up to my standards so I did not include them in my discussion.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:11 AM
don

George,
I was there this past fall on a week-long golf vacation with my wife. There will be all sorts of magazines, brochures, booklets, etc when you get to the Island that contain golf info. A lot of them have coupons or specials in there such as 2 for 1 green fees, 20 dollars off, etc. You might have better luck, however, hitting one of the courses in the late early/late afternoon where a lot of the local courses drastically reduce their green fees...I think they call it their twlight time or whatever, it is a lot cheaper then say a tee time at 9am. There are a lot of nice courses just off the bridge to the island that are really nice and could get a really good rate.