Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hilton Austin North or Renaissance Austin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Liza

Any personal experiences you can share about these 2 properties? Mostly interested in the cleanliness, newness of the rooms and the pool for a quick weekend getaway with hubby. Thank you.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Liza

Looking at the Hyatt's website, this property looks like it could meet my criteria also. Now I'm really confused. Comments to help me decide between all 3 would be appreciated.

Old May 21st, 2002, 05:37 AM
carol

i have no info about the hilton but i have stayed at both the hyatt and the renaissance and liked both. the hyatt is downtown on the lake and close to good restaurants and night life. the renaissance is out more in the suburbs and might seem less commercial to you. neither are new properties, but both have been well maintained. rooms at the renaissance are bigger. i've never used the pools at either. if you want to just relax, i'd go for the renaissance. if you want to do some shopping/browsing and go to good restaurants and see more night life, i'd head for the hilton.

Old May 21st, 2002, 05:50 AM
lisa

Carol is correct. The Hilton North and the Renaissance are both away from downtown. None of the 3 are "new". The Hilton is probably the oldest of the 3, and I personally don't think of the word "Clean" when there. (However, I've only atteneded conferences there, never been in the room.) The Hyatt is close to downtown, near the S. Congress bridge where one can view the bats in the summer. I'd say the Renaissance and the Hyatt better fit your bill. Are you coming for a specific reason? Where do you need to be while here? If you need to be downtown, stay with the Hyatt. Something out of the way and prettier scenery, the Renaissance.

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:54 AM
Liza

We are going just for a short R & R trip so it doesn't matter where we stay. Am not crazy about staying downtown since we live in a large city. The Hilton North made it to my list because even though it is old, it has been reportedly renovated a lot. Can anyone confirm or deny? Any other thoughts? I have read a lot about location so I am really just interested in the quality of the rooms and pool. Thanks.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:24 AM
lisa

I don't think you'd be happy at the Hilton. Its a block from the freeway, and sits next to a mall. There is no scenery to speak of. Its nothing fancy as far as hotels go.

I think you'd do better at the Renaissance. It's a lovely property There is a view of the hills of Austin from their balcony, good restaruants nearby, a semi "art house" theater next door, and an upscale shopping center next door.

If you want something really nice, tho pricey, you might consider the Barton Creek Resort and Country Club, Or The Inn Above Onion Creek (www.innaboveonioncreek.com) or the Lakeay Inn A Dolce Conference Resort (www.doce.com)

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:24 AM
lisa

I don't think you'd be happy at the Hilton. Its a block from the freeway, and sits next to a mall. There is no scenery to speak of. Its nothing fancy as far as hotels go.

I think you'd do better at the Renaissance. It's a lovely property There is a view of the hills of Austin from their balcony, good restaruants nearby, a semi "art house" theater next door, and an upscale shopping center next door.

If you want something really nice, tho pricey, you might consider the Barton Creek Resort and Country Club, Or The Inn Above Onion Creek (www.innaboveonioncreek.com) or the Lakeay Inn A Dolce Conference Resort (www.dolce.com)

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:33 AM
lisa

I just checked the website of the inn above onion creek. Seems like that would be a perfect place for R&R. They have a pool and there are other activities in the area. The rooms look charming and are very reasonable actually.

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:00 AM
Kevin

Satyed at the Renaissance in April. The rooms are HUGE. Using biddingfortravel.com and priceline.com I only paid $48 per night (the hotel wanted $149).

Good luck on your bidding. Getting the Renaissance is easy as it is the only 4* hotel in its zone.

Kevin