Search

Hilo or Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilo or Honolulu

I am searching for a family vacation destination. I have asked on another thread and got great responces but I have a Hawaii question that someone might be able to help with. SW airlines now flies to Hilo and HNL from Vegas (used to have to fly to Phoenix first then book seperate flight from phx even though the plane stopped in Vegas, were not allowed to get on in Vegas...anyway) In April, I can now book LAS-HNL or Hilo.
SO...my question is, and I am really considering Hawaii (we have credit with SW that I need to book/use by Aug)...oh ya, the question...We are a family of 5, me, DH and the kiddies (4,4,and 2). Never been to Hawaii. If we go it would probably be in Sept./Oct. when kids are back in school to get cheaper hotel rates. We like the beach (the boys LOVE the beach), would also like something else to do for the kids sake. Would you receommend one over the other and what other attractions are there besides the beaches and luau's? Are there waterfalls on both islands? What about volcanos?
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Given the age of your children, I'd worry more about where mom and dad want to see.

Since it is your first visit, I suggest staying on Oahu. On the downside, I don't think there are any active volcanoes on Oahu. On the plus side, there is a nice zoo and aquarium. Both islands have great hiking.

Finally, Honolulu is your typical big city (track, noise, people, etc.) so keep that in mind when you are planning the trip.

Have fun.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:40 PM

I don't agree about Honolulu. I would fly into Hilo (they don't offer Kona?) then rent a car and ask around about where to see any volcano activity in that area. There was lava flowing into the sea near there when we were there. Then I would drive up to Volcano National Park, I think they call it, and stay overnight, at least, before heading to Kona.

If you are going to be there for a week, or even maybe not, rent a condo, not a hotel. Any good travel agent can find you one, or you can take your luck by googling. These will probably be condos owned by mainland persons or time shares where they are "selling" their time. With children, it is the ONLY way to go. Less expensive than a hotel, and you can see the other advantages...more room, ability to have meals in, etc. etc. We stayed at the Kona Reef, I think, in a privately owned one bedroom apartment, with sleeper sofa in the living room. We were on the ground floor and there was a shallow beach just outside our patio.

This would not interest your children, but a drive all around the Island will give you wonderful scenery. At the top is the Parker Ranch. The whole thing gives you a sense of Hawaii that you can't find on Oahu, unless you go out of the urbanity-of-it-all. I expect to have residents of the state who live on Oahu blast me...but never mind, it's a vacation, after all.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Vegasnative,
Like the previous post mentioned Honolulu is like a big city. Waikiki beach high rises are just like any downtown on the mainland. If you select Hilo you have a boatload of waterfalls (akaka, peepee, boiling pots, kahuna to name a few) and the volcano. It takes many people 2 days to go thru the volcano park. The Kona side is much drier but I think the choice should be Hilo compared to Honolulu.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Honolulu and Waikiki myself, but people often seem surprised what a large busy city it is. I'm guessing in comparison the Big Island is more what people envision when they think "Hawaii".
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:33 AM

October is a great time to go. My husband and I went on our honeymoon last October 8th. We flew into Honolulu and stayed one night near Waikiki Beach. If you are looking for a lot of things to do this is the place to be. Check out http://www.kingdestinations.com/honolulu for more info. After 3 nights there we flew into Kona on the Big Island. From what I hear it rains almost everyday in Hilo. You will have to rent a car as everything is far on the Big Island and activities are very spread out. It is best for relaxing. Hope it helps!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Fly into Honoulu and drive north or east. The beaches there are the best. Hilo is boing. It rains all the time and there are very few nice beaches on the Big Island. The volcano is hit or miss. With kids so young you wont be able to walk out to see the flows anyhow.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Another vote for Waikiki. It isn't anything like "any other mainland downtown" that I've ever seen. If you want beaches, you want Oahu. Honolulu is the downtown business area; the rest of the island is paradise.

Do a search on Oahu in the block at the top of this site, and you will get more information that you can absorb.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 01:42 PM

My vote is for Oahu. See if you can find a good rental on vrbo.com for the Kailua/Lanikai Beach area if you don't want to be in Waikiki. If you want to be in Waikiki, I still recommend vrbo to find a rental rather than stay in a hotel.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It seems like it is split down the middle. I guess my idea of how I would want our time in Hawaii would be not so much city but more countryside. From what you all have described that would be Hilo, is that right? I'd like to spend a few days on a beach, a few days exploring volcanos and waterfalls, and perhaps one day in or around a city area. jtrandolph, they don't fly into Kona, I checked. Also I have checked into the condos, when I check on expedia or travelocity I usually get the condos because we are 5 and most hotels only allow 4 in a room. But, I do like it, because with little kids I can just buy some cereal and bowls/milk and they are good to go. No need to go out for breakfast when that is all they will eat anyway. I'm going to have to check the weather for October, because the rain in Hilo concerns me.
Well I am off to a good start. Thanks again.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Another vote for Oahu. Much more to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

This thread has lots to see & do:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Pua

As a mother of three children and born and raised on Oahu with family in Hilo, I would suggest Oahu. Since you have pre-schoolers and a toddler, Oahu would offer you a little bit of everything. I agree with Postal on finding a rental in Kailua/Lanikai. It's a good base to plan little day trips out. It's away from the hustle and bustle of the Waikiki (but you should still visit for a day, it's fun) and Kailua is on the greener, more laid back side of the island. The kids won't be able to enjoy Volcanoes National Park on Hawaii island since it's a lot of walking and you'll be spending most of the time in the car driving from place to place. Hilo does rain a lot and there are no good sand beaches on that side of the island. Oahu has a little bit of everything. You can still get away from it all on the Windward side or North side of the island and always have the option to choose when you want to be more active. For waterfalls, if we get a good rain up in the Koolau mountains you'll see a whole series of waterfalls as you drive along the H-3 towards Honolulu. If you don't want to wait for rain, there is always Waimea Audubon Center or a hike to Manoa Falls (which can be muddy). Polynesian Cultural Center is a must, fun for the whole family. Dole Plantation Maze and Train ride, Waikiki Aquarium, Eating Shaved Iced, the list is pretty long. My daughter recently went to luau at Paradise Cove with her Grandparents and she loved it. You get to ride in a canoe, play Hawaiian games, make a head lei, etc. Save your trip to Hawaii island when your kids are older and they can really appreciate the volcanoes, lava tubes and the new Imiloa Astronomy Center. Good luck with your trip planning.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Pua and everyone else, thank-you so much for all the info. I have decided on Oahu (Honolulu). We will only be there for a week. So I am thinking about staying the first 3 nights in Honolulu, then driving to the north side of the island for 2 nights and stopping along the way at the plantation fields and Waimea. I will certainly check out Kailua, that sounds like what I am looking for. I have a few travel guides on Oahu and I am enjoying going through them...there IS lots to see/do there. Thanks again!!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Hi, I know the issue had been decided but I just wanted to chime in here. Oahu is definitely the way to go in this case. There is tons and tons of driving to do on the Big Island to get anywhere, and the lava flow is not safe for young children. The national park itself is safe, but children with developing lungs should not be anywhere near volcanic fumes (where the lava enters the sea).

Oahu offers so many more options than Hilo in this case. Here's an article on a two year old in Waikiki
http://www.andhawaii.com/2006/03/wai...ung-child.html