Hilo Hawaiian of Dolphin Bay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 3 nights at the Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort and 3 nights at the Bay House B&B in Hilo, Bay House is full for the next 2 nights. We could stay at the Hilo Hawaiian or Dolphin Bay, of course they are quite different and the latter is less expensive. Do Fodorites have rants to share with us so we can decide on one or the other? Thanks!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Nothing in Hilo is high-luxe -- more along the lines of Motel 6 lodging. But we lovelovelove Hilo town, and stay there as often as we can.

Dolphin Bay is okay...well off the beaten path, and about a 1-star with regard to furnishings. Guess what I'm trying to say is, "you get what you pay for". Great place for budget travelers. The owner is delightful and will make you feel welcome.

If I had to choose between Dolphin Bay and the Hilo Hawaiian, I'd pick an oceanview room at Hilo Hawaiian. Easy stroll to the Lili`uokalani Park and optional dining spots in the area. Rooms could use a renovation, but it's more 2-3 star, than just 1-star.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Shanghainese:

As auntie says, nothing in Hilo is high lux. That being said I would pick the HH hands down. No comparison IMHO.

We were just there in early November and enjoyed our stay.

Aloha!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Have to agree with the assessment of the two hotels as stated in the two above posts. HOWEVER, I am a budget traveler, and I enjoy the "slice of life" atmosphere at the Dolphin Bay.
Meeting interesting folks that stay there, and the hospitality.

It's not for everyone, and agree it's budget. ((Have stayed at both, no complaints))
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I responded to this thread in another post with the exact same title...if you click on my name you'll see it.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for responding so fast during this busy holiday season, we have an oceanview room reserved at HH for $139/night. We are not high-luxe, high maintenance but prefer 2-3 stars than 1 star.

Thank you, Christy. The Kohala coast does not appeal to us. We are staying 5 nightsin Hilo and we have activities we enjoy planned daily, mostly gleaned from this forum.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 04:51 PM

We stayed 3 nights at HH and enjoyed it (we loved Hilo by the way). I would like to suggest a lunch at the Hawaiian Vanilla Company -- located north of Hilo. We found the experience very interesting, they give you a slice of what it takes to make a living in Hawaii from farming and having to rely on tourism to supplement. The children help out and the food memorable. Lunches only served a couple days during the week and reservations are required.