Cheap Hawaii-Manago Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw a post on Manago Hotel so I surfed in and took a look at their site. Looks like my type of vacation accomodations. Anyone know of other places like this? on Hilo/volcano side and also for Maui and Kauai.
thanks
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 10:14 AM

I haven't been to the BI yet, but am planning a trip for November. The Dolphin Bay Hotel in Hilo sounds like what you're looking for on that side of the island. We won't be staying there this visit, but I'm hoping to stay there sometime. It always gets good reviews; check it out on the internet. I corresponded a little with the owner while making plans for this trip, and was impressed by his promptness and efficiency.

There's also a site called alternativehawaii.com that might have a lot of places you'd be interested in. One thing I looked into was renting a Westfalia conversion van to drive around the BI without having to make advance plans for each stop.

I used the Big Island Handbook (Moon Publications) and the Big Island Revealed book (wizardpub.com) to find out about more budget choices.
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 11:32 AM

depends what you are looking for on Maui
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 08:06 PM

Dolphin Bay and Manago Hotels

I stay at the Dolphin Bay - John Alexander (owner) is great help in planning activities around Hilo, especially trips to the "Lava". Moderately priced. Kitchen in each unit, no a/c, fresh fruit everyday, and lots of "slice of life Hawaii".

Manago Hotel...I enjoyed my stay. The original hotel building is shared baths.
The 3 story annex is private bath in each room. Easy parking, clean, but not fancy. Definately budget.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 02:54 AM

Stayed at the Manago last week...no tv but clean and quiet. Great view from the third floor rooms over the coast.Watched the sunset into the Kona vog from our lanai with a take away dinner from the chop suey down the street and a bottle of good aussie wine from the supermarket in captain cook...
easy driving distance to the kelekeleula bay (sp?) where you can rent a kayak,go across to the monument and do some great snorkelling..go early and see the spinner dolphins.

Try the arnotts lodge for similar in Hilo.check out their website.Take a morning swim in the nearby rockpool and look out over Hilo bay to imposing Mauna Kea...