Big Island Lodging on a Shoestring!

Old May 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island Lodging on a Shoestring!

Hello all,
I'm planning a week getaway to the Big Island in two weeks and am looking for cheap lodging in order to stretch my limited budget
I'm considering doing the first 3 nights in the Kona area and the last three in the Hilo area. Does that ratio sound about right? So if anyone has any nuggets of info, I would love it.
Thanks in advance.
John
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:48 PM

In Kona try the Kona Seaside Hotel and in Hilo try the Dolphin Bay Hotel. Both clean and resonable for travel on a shoestring. Have a great time.
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gloria,
I've been reading awesome reviews on Dolphin Bay!
Quick question; would you stay in Hilo or are there other areas on the East side of the island that are better? I want to do all the Volcano activities and be near as much as I can.
Thanks again,
John
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:35 PM

If you want to do other activites on the east side other than the volcano, such as the waterfalls and the botanical garden, then Hilo would be the best place to be based. It is also a good place for exploring the Puna District, which includes snorkeling at Kapoho and Ahalanui "warm" Pool. There is a fun outdoor market in Hilo on Wed. and Sat. and in Puna on Sundays. The Dolphin Bay fills up quickly, so check it out for booking real soon. Have a wonderful time. I leave for Hawaii tomorrow myself. I love the Big Island.
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:55 PM

JohnDoe:

One of the most economical hotels in Hilo is the Hilo Seaside (great location):
http://www.sand-seaside.com/Hilo_Seaside.aspx?HotelID=2

Also check the listings given on this site:
http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/accomg.htm
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Okay, so I just got off the phone with Dolphin Bay, and I'm good to go! Now it's just finding that same budget hotel on the Kona side. Any suggestions?
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:39 PM

We have stayed at the Kona Seaside while in Kona. Clean, basic, located on Ali'i drive within walking distance to restaurants and shops. Two pools. Sometimes the room will include breakfast. You can sometimes get this hotel through priceline also. I have never stayed there, but have heard that the Manago Hotel south of Kona was clean and not expensive. Good luck, have a great time!
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Check out the Manago Hotel in Captain Cook.

www.managohotel.com

I have stayed there. The 3 story bldg. in rear has some good views. Remember it is a budget hotel(price), but a real vaule.

Dolphin Bay ...hands down. Stay there on my visits to Hilo....John Alexander will advise you of all your travel questions...and all about the volcano..including walking out to the lava.((where to buy food/or eat in Hilo))

While I am at it....try "What's Shakin'"...north of town (Hilo) on the scenic road....Great smoothies, and awesome sandwiches.

Oh! And the Tsunami Museum of the Pacific ((downtown Hilo))

Hawaii....it's all good!!!

have fun!

Old May 19th, 2005, 09:39 PM

I found the Kona Seaside Hotel for $68 on travelocity. I stayed at the Ohana Keauhou Beach Resort, which is about ten minutes south of downtown Kona. It can be had for around $100 and is a very nice hotel, with awesome grounds and an open airy feel. I have details in my trip report here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34542623

love
roxy
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:26 AM

John, I don't know how limited your budget is, but I'd recommend against the Kona Seaside. It's situated on the corner of two *very* busy streets, and looks/feels like a Motel 6 with 1970's furnishings.

$20 or $30 more a night will get you into the Royal Kona Resort, which sits right on the ocean (the Seaside, despite the name, doesn't), and has rooms that are larger and better furnished. It also has a breakfast buffet, onsite bar/restaurant, very nice pool etc.
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great advice. I think I spent almost all day yesterday planning this trip. Our entire budget, minus food and activites for this 7 day/6 night trip was $1,500, and I almost nailed it.
I booked our Hilo stay at the Dolphin Bay Hotel and found a great 1 Bedroom
Condo in downtown Kona on vrbo.com for $70 per night. So that is it.
Now I'm researching everthing I need to do while I'm there. My wife and I are very active and want to see everything.
Thanks again for all your hotel help.
I'm sure I will be posting more questions as I think of them.