Lititz, PA - Worth a trip?

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lititz, PA - Worth a trip?

Is it worth it to take a side trip to Lititz, PA from Philadelphia with kids age 5 and 6 (almost 7) ? Looking for input. Thanks.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 05:11 AM

With kids that age I would probably take the side trip to Dorney Park in Allentown or Hershey Park in Hershey.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Dorney Park, Hershey Park, all the other parks are closed during the time we're going. Without those parks, it is worth it?
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Not really. There's a chocolate factory and a pretzel factory if I remember correctly, neither of which are especially unique or extensive. Don't suppose they're too interested in the Moravians, and not sure they would find the occasional Amish you might see in the area all that meaningful at that age either.
B/
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:30 AM

I would suggest that you make more of a day of it. Lititz would take no more than 2 hours with visits to the pretzel & chocolate "factories" and a walk thru town. If you are into nature, the Middle Creek Wildlife Refuge is just north of Lititz with a good visitor center & resident Bald Eagles. I would consider adding the Strasburg Railroad and maybe a walk around Intercourse. Just west of Intercourse is King's woodworking shop where they also raise commercial (for food) trout.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:13 AM

For a 5 and 7 year old, I would still go for the kid type entertainment. I would think they would drive you nuts going to Lititz. How about Dave & Buster's down on the Philly waterfront. Enough entertainment for a video game savvy kid for a week.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I visited Lititz last summer on the way to a family reunion. I wanted to visit the grave of California pioneer, John Sutter.
I cannot see any reason that young children would be inerested in Lititz.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Mr Rogers does a wonderful episode where he goes to the pretzel factory in Lititz--which is not really a functioning factory but an old one on the main street of town--where kids make their own pretzel, have it baked and then get a certificate w/their name on it. I did it as a child and my brother and I took our spouses and children there when the kids ranged from 3-11. They all had a great time and it was unique, something they all still remember even while the theme park and video game place memories all blend together!! Lititz is a lovely place, where strolling down main street feels like being back in another era. However, you must decide if such a low key activity is worth a side trip.....
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:27 AM

former lititz resident...with a small child. I can tell you, unless your kids LOVE feeding ducks (which abound at the lititz springs park), dont waste your time. Lititz isnt kid friendly, unless you go to the 4th of July festival, which is AWESOME! when are you planning to visit Philly?
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:23 AM
adoptionisfab

I love Litiz because I love Wilbur Chocolate and her is a link for factory tours:
http://www.factorytoursinpa.com/fact...embly/food.jsp

But it is not enough for little kids.

Old May 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM

what about sesame place, no pa dutch area but the age seems right. north of philly in levittown? just google sesame place. near 95 easy to get to with car