Search

Hiking The Narrows

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:57 AM
FLmom

Hiking The Narrows

We have 2 days and 1 night at Zion Lodge, in June. My daughters' "must do" is the 1/2 day horseback ride on the Sand Bench trail, my "must do" is to hike The Narrows.

We'll take the horseback ride first thing, the first day, have some lunch at the lodge, let that settle and then hike the Emerald Pools trail, maybe check out the Visitor’s Center, then poke around and get dinner in Springdale. That leaves day 2 dedicated to The Narrows. We are attempting the 4-6 hour bottom-up approach hopefully to Orderville Canyon, maybe even part-way to Big Springs and back.

We know we want to get the rental gear and see the pre-trip orientation from Zion Adventures. I’d like to experience the hike first-hand, peaceful and private-like so I was thinking maybe we should get our gear and orientation that evening and hit the early.

Could those of you that have been to the park, rented the gear and taken the hike fill me in on logistics and timing?

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We didn't rent any gear and we were fine. I packed old sneakers and at the start of the hike (the river part) there was a pile of discarded hiking sticks that we helped ourselves to and returned when we were done. (Hiking sticks, not the fancy kind you purchase at outdoor stores).

What are you planning on renting?

This is an amazing hike - you will love it.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:34 PM

We were in Zion 2 years ago and loved it. We were very disappointed in the shorter trail ride (did it because we loved the Bryce ride so much but this one was boring) so I'd be sure that the Sand Bench Trail is worth it.

Where are driving in from? Can you get to the 1/2 day ride in time to do it in the morning as you suggest? The hike to Emerald Pools doesn't take that long if I remember correctly (1 hour or so?) so you might have time to do another more strenuous hike (we wish we had done some of Angels Landing).

Like you, we went to Zion Adventure company late in the day to get our Narrows gear. We did not rent the shoes and regretted it. Used hiking boots and the sand seeps in unknowingly and builds up under the ball of your foot. Uncomfortable for some of us near the end of the trail.

We did the Narrows in the morning starting the hike at 9 a.m. with a ranger. It's quite cool as you hike up in the morning as there's no sun (and we were there in August and temps pushed 100 by the end of the day). You will definitely have company the entire time.

We hiked about 3 miles in (1 mile on the Riverside trail and the other 2 in the river), had lunch and turned back. Husband went further up to Orderville Canyon. I chose not to thinking that the kids would be too tired and get hurt. Our 8 year old daughter did fine but it's a lot harder the shorter you are!

Loved the hike. One of the shining highlights of our family travels. Enjoy!!!

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:34 PM

FLMom--
Just realized I was responding to YOU. Hope the info is helpful.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:29 PM
FLmom

Hi Karens - we're not really hikers, so I was going to get the shoes, poles and then there's this "orientation" talk available. I’ve been reading through a bunch of trip reports and it sounds like the sticky shoes would make me feel more secure on the slimy rocks. I’m nervous because a hike like this is completely out of my normal activity and comfort zone, but it’s all just so beautiful. I’ve simply got to go up that river!

Hi-Ya ccrosner! Yep, it’s me.

So, going into Springdale the night before to get your gear, and then hitting the trail in the morning worked for your family? Great! How did you manage to hook up with the ranger? How crowded was the trail? How long did it take to find Zion Adventure and get the stuff you needed?

I don’t know if I can talk my DD out of the horseback riding thing, she’s an absolute freak over horses and she rides English hunter/jumper here at home. I have no idea what the Sand Bench Trail is like. I think it follows along the river then cuts up into the hills. I’m not interested in riding in Zion, from what I’ve read it’s a hiker paradise, but it’s her vacation too. Any negotiating tips would be appreciated on this one. BTW we will continue our “Wild West” adventure to Bryce Canyon next and I’ve told her we would ride there too.

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 03:26 PM

I hope you're both good swimmers because there will be times when you can't walk the water's too deep and have to swim w/ your stick and backpack, etc.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM

We just were there in July and did the same trip you are planning. We wore our bathing suits and sneakers. The only thing I would rent is a walking stick. They normally are there to share, but lately people have been keeping them. We drove from Vegas at 8:30 and were hiking by noon. It took us 4 hours up and back. You dont need to swim as it is only up to your chest. I held my backpack over my head for maybe 2 places ..mostly its walking in shallow water. The water however, is cold! Once in the canyons the shade made it chilly...this was mid-July. On our way we ran into a rattlesnake in a tree! Pack a lunch and eat on the way. This is one of my favorite trips ever. My kids have done this 2 times and they are both under 10...
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM

Let's see if I can answer all of the questions you asked of me.

Zion Adventure is pretty easy to find in Springdale. It's on a small street just off the main drag just to the south of Flanigan's hotel. Almost at the entrance to the park. Love the people there. I think we spent less than an hour finding it and getting our equipment.

The issue of the shoes is not they are "sticky". First, they are more flexible so your foot will grab onto the rocks more easily. And second, they keep the sand out as they are tight on your ankles. We didn't use them in the Narrows (mistake) but we did use them when we went canyoneering with Zion Adventure another day...we're even on their website

Can't help you with the horseback negotiating. I would probably try posting on this site with a question about that particular ride and see what people say.

We hooked up with the ranger because it was a regularly scheduled thing. Saw it at the visitors center board the night before and figured we might as well go with him. Can't remember whether he really added that much but it seemed a good idea at the time.

In August, we never were swimming in the river but I would bet June will be different.

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:02 AM

Hi FLmom,

Springdale is a very small town and you won't have any trouble finding places.

Hiking the Narrows can vary hugely due to time of year and weather conditions which can make water volume more or less, depending! There are some years when the Narrows is not open for hiking until July. Yes the water is cold and yes it's a very good idea to have the water shoes.

I've done the ride in Zion and it's pretty boring. If your daughter is a "real" rider, I don't think she will enjoy it. Nose-to-tail plodding, not even very scenic, as the ride goes down canyon and not up canyon. If you go early in the morning you might see a deer or wild turkey.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:28 AM

I've hiked there 4 or 5 times and never rented gear. All you need are old sneakers (don't ruin a pair of boots) and some kind of walking stick (that is a shame people have been taking them, like the poster above said-there have always been big piles of walking sticks at the entrance).

The best tip I can give is don't wear ANYTHING cotton. I cannot stress this enough. When it gets wet, which it will, cotton will keep you cold and miserable. But a synthetic fiber (which most hiking tees, shorts, and socks are made from) will keep you warm and comfortable. Wool works too (ie if you already have wool socks).
Also, you know you need to stop at the visitor's center and check weather conditions first, right? There are times when the hike is closed or not recommended due to the possibility of flash floods.

Also, don't be nervous. It's a great hike right from the start, so if you get tired or are going slower than you planned, you can just turn around regardless of how far or short you've come, and you will still have had a great hike.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
FLmom

Hi Guys- Thanks for the great replies. Sorry for the 20 questions, I'm finding that the more I read and research the more engrossed I get, then I need to know every little detail and I make myself a little crazy.

ccrosner – thanks for the directions and explanation about the gear, that helped my “little crazy “ gene. I do remember from your trip report about your families’ canyoneering adventure. That must have felt like a real accomplishment for everyone, your picture on the website is great.

Dayle- that’s exactly the information I needed about the trail ride. Along with the other comments I’m sure DD would not enjoy riding in Zion. I think we’d have a much better experience of what Zion has to offer if we just hiked a few more trails. Heck, I might even try Angel’s Landing, up to that ½ way point or something like that!

I’m starting to understand that you can’t really “plan” on hiking the narrows, but only be prepared and hope.

christy1- thanks for the encouragement! You’re absolutely right; take your time, do what you can and most of all enjoy the experience.

“Also, you know you need to stop at the visitor's center and check weather conditions first, right?”
No, I did not know this. We will be staying at the lodge and I thought you could just check at the desk. Is that possible?

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM

FL,

Yes, I believe the front desk will have hiking info available. The visitor's center and the museum are both very good, don't miss them.

Yes, you will do much better to spend your time with more hiking rather than riding in Zion!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:53 PM

Alright, well it will depend on the weather and winter snows to see if the Narrows will be open, but here's my trip which is similar to what you are planning. We went in august and the water was high for the time, but by no means too high to hike.

We arrived at Zion after driving in from Las Vegas in the morning, spent the rest of that day checking out the visitors center, hiking the emerald pools, and walking up to weeping rock.

The next morning, my brother and i, we're 21 and 17, got up at 7 in springdale, took the bus, started on the Narrows at 8. Right at the beginning there was a deep spot of water, up to my chest or so (i'm about 6 feet tall), and we were wondering about continuing on. Luckily we did, cause that was the deepest water we encountered. We got to Orderville Canyon in about 2.5 hours. We continued up the river for another hour. We didn't make it to Big Springs, but the hike after Orderville was still deep within the canyons and very spectacular. After a short break, we headed back, and it it only took us half the time to get back (2 hrs), giving us a total trip of about 6 hours.

We are in decent shape, and we were tired and a little beat up afterwards, but didn't need anything more than a pair of old shoes and a hiking stick which we brought from home.

The rocks are slippery but if you take your time, it should be too much of a problem. After the Narrows, we had lunch, and made an attempt at Angel's Landing in the later afternoon but storms rolled in and we had to turn back.

We left pretty early in the morning, we were the only people we could see for the most part going upriver. On the way back, there were way more people hiking.

This was probably my favorite hike i've done, just because it is very unique.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM

Meant to mention the non-cotton clothing thing....a must! I ordered shirts from LLBean that dry in an hour in that desert-like heat. Used hiking pants that were synthetic (all four of us had zip off pants and used them during the trip). Not the most flattering attire but very practical!