Reload this Page >

Hiking in the Grand Tetons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 09:54 AM
diane

Many thanks to all who gave me advice when I was planning my small family reunion to the Tetons/Yellowstone area last spring. I have just returned and have some recommendations for those who are still to go there. Rafting: the Snake River is low, and raft companies told me the raft trips are now class II (possibly class III in a few places) rather than the usual class IV. Even Jackson Lake is low, and we were unable to rent canoes at Colter Bay because the water doesn't reach the dock! They are still renting at Signal Mt., however.

HIKING: The waterfall/Inspiration Point hike across Jenny Lake was highly recommended by many people, but I was concerned by two things: crowds and the early return time (last boat returning at 6 p.m.). We parked at the String Lake parking area NORTH of Jenny Lake and hiked approximately one and a half miles to where the boat arrives. It was a lovely hike, with the sound of running water from a connecting creek accompanying us until we got to the point that we could see the lake through the trees. We hiked partly through a recently (1999?) burned area that was quite beautiful with its flowers and new growth. We say deer feeding both going and coming on this rocky path, both times with young. My sixtyish legs were tired by the time we got to the real uphill part (the path had had some ups and downs), but we set off for the waterfall. It was now about 5:00 and a line was forming for the return trip across the lake. We passed several groups coming down, but by this time very few were going up. We had the waterfall almost to ourselves. After a rest and picture-taking, I was game for a little more uphill climbing, but when we got to that first place where there are large flat rocks with a view of the lake, I said, "This is inspirational enough for me!" My husband and I waited while the younger members of our group went on up higher. The trip back to our car was tiring but exhilarating. There were only a few other hikers on the path, several of whom passed us while we were resting. The entire hike took about three hours and covered about five miles. The sun was behind the tall peaks when we returned along the path to String Lake parking, but it was still shining on the lake. We had all taken water--my daughter-in-law was after me to finish mine. She and my son had drunk all 72 oz. in her Camelbak by the time we got to the car. This hike was one of the best two or three things we did on our trip. Driving up the Beartooth Pass was probably my favorite, and we all enjoyed being surrounded by a large buffalo herd for half an hour as they decided to cross the road up to the Canyon area in Yellowstone. Now I'm suffering from vacation-withdrawal and sorely miss that part of my family that went back to the West coast.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Hiker

Your tired legs sound pretty OK. My "sixtyish" mother would of said "I'll wait in the car."

What the heck is a camelbak?

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 10:34 PM
diane

Hiker--if you had said "biker" instead of "hiker," you'd know what a Camelbak is. It's a narrow (maybe 6") pack you wear on your back filled with water. It's about 18" long. There's a plastic straw coming around toward your mouth that you can drink from as you ride, or run. I first learned about the Camelbak when my other son sold them on Aardvark Cycles, an on-line bike parts business he started 7-8 years ago. He sold it about 5 years ago, but it still exists under the same name.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:37 AM
camelbak

Check out Aardvark Cycles on the internet. They have lots of sizes and styles of Camelbaks, and they're on sale right now.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 12:52 AM
stella

Nice "hike report" Diane. Did you hike on the Beartooth? I'm dying to go there. What other wildlife did you see?

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 09:18 AM
diane

Unfortunately our trip was short--one night in Jackson, three at Flagg Ranch, and one in Cody, One of our sons (and family) spent only the three nights at Flagg. So we didn't see a lot of wildlife because we spent only parts of two days in Yellowstone. We were there at dusk one day and saw lots of elk feeding along the road. We saw one coyote and one moose--at a distance. That moose was enough to tie up traffic though! I wanted to see wolves, or at least hear them, and one of my sons said he had hoped to encounter a bear, but I suspect he was teasing me. We couldn't do a lot of hiking because we had a toddler, a pregnant woman, and two dogs in our group. This was mostly a get-together to visit and see beautiful scenery. Three of the couples had to fly out from the east coast (we also visited relatives in SLC), and the family with the least money (for flying) could drive over from Oregon. This was only the second time since the last marriage--of our three children--three years ago that we have all been together.

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 11:16 PM
Jeannette

My hubby and I are planning to go to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone next summer. I've already begun reading advice from others on this site, but I'd like to know where you stayed and how you liked it. Also, how did you do that hike you described with a toddler, a pregnant woman and two dogs?

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 02:47 PM
diane

We did the hike the day after spending the night in Jackson, just four of us, unencumbered by by toddler, his pregnant mom and the dogs. Those two families joined us that night at Flagg Ranch, which is just south of the south entrance to Yellowstone. It was a very good location for visiting both parks briefly. If we had had more time, I'd have chosen to stay two nights in Jackson, two nights at Signal Mountain, and two or more nights in Yellowstone. Flagg was OK--very comfortable "cabins,"
a nice lodge--but I was disappointed to discover that the "cabins" were four-plexes. They clearly show as individual cabins on their website. They were among trees, but the trees were sparse. We drove down to look at Signal Mountain, and although the cabins were very close together, the scenic beauty of the area would make me choose them next time (I'll phone earlier!).

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:35 PM
topper

Topping for anyone who might be heading to the Tetons this summer.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:04 AM
Paul

First,
There is only one Grand Teton. Tetons is the generic name for the range of mountains. Please don't call them "Grand Tetons". OK, sorry just wanted to set everyone straight. There are many beautiful hikes in the Tetons. Glad you had a good hike. Paintbrush Canyon, Hanging Canyon and Solitude Lake are also great hikes.
P