Bright Angel Trail, difficulty?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Nolan

Bright Angel Trail, difficulty?

I have never been to Grand Canyon and I have a hiking question. My wife and I will there 1st week in July (VERY hot, I know).

We are both 33 and in reasonably good shape (we regularly take 3 to 4 mile walks). Obviously, hoofing it up the canyon in 100 degree heat is a lot different than walks in the rolling hills of Va. where we live.

Our current plan is to hike down to Indian Gardens and back with a very early start (6 a.m. or so).

We both will have good hiking boots and lots of water. Anyone of a similar age/activity level done this? Thanks! N

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:06 AM
x

ck out the-www.grandcanyonhiker.com-- for info

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:50 AM
OliveOyl

More of a factor than your age is your level of conditioning. We did this same hike, down Bright Angel to Indian Gardens and back, a year and a half ago, but in November, not July.

My husband and I, both pushing 60 (real hard) run 6 miles/day 3-4 times a week. We were hiking with our 27 and 30 year old "children", neither of whom work out at all. My husband and I did far better than the kids and one of them, though not overweight, I had serious concerns about during the last half of the climb out. Take plenty of water (I suspect he hadn't had enough) and snacks to replenish your energy. We didn't start until 9-10 in the morning but easily made it out by 4. Even that time of year, though it was so cold we started out with some ice at the top, by the end of the hike we'd all stripped down to t-shirts and those were wet.

It's a beautiful hike and you will be SO glad you did it!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Mike

My wife and I did this exact hike two years ago. We were 30, somewhat experienced hikers and also in reasonably good shape. We're from Upstate New York and shared some of your concerns about the terrain and climate of the Southwest.

In all honesty, we didn't find the hike as difficult as we expected. But, we took many of the same precautions that you’re considering.

You're right, start early. It doesn't get really hot until 9am, or so. If you start at 6am, you'll be at, or near, Indian Gardens by 9am. Obviously, bring lots of water. We carried a gallon apiece and drank every drop. I would recommend wearing hats and light-weight, long-sleeve shirts, as well as carrying bandanas or scarfs. The trail can become quite dusty, especially when you're sharing it with a mule train. Finally, wear quality hiking boots. It’s easy to twist an ankle by slipping on the small rocks that make up a majority of the trail.

The hike was exceptionally beautiful and something that I would recommend to anyone in moderately good shape who was willing to take all the necessary precautions against the elements.

Good luck.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:01 AM
ALF

My wife and I have hiked this trail about 5 times over the last 20 years. We are now pushing 50 and are not in the greatest of shape, but we still pulled this off OK. If I were you, I would alter my plans significantly. You will be descending in cool temperatures, but by the time you start back up, its gonna' be hot, and it will be very hot as you approach the top. I would suggest descending in the late afternoon. Temperatures will still be quite high, but you won't be working too hard on the descent. Refill your canteens, take a rest, then start back up in the early evening, when temperatures are dropping. As an added bonus, you get to watch the sunset over the Canyon.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:45 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Nolan

Interesting point Alf. I am wondering if we should plan to start noonish so as to climb in the later parts of the day....

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:43 AM
rob

we found the hike back up the trail to be fairly intense.....we did the trail in mid-december.....me early 30's; wife early 20's. take something to eat and, of course, plenty of H2O. it took us 2 or 3 times longer to hike back up then down.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:53 AM
plummie

Hiked the trail almost 20 years ago, down South Kaibab one day, overnight at Phantom Ranch, up Bright Angel the next day. We did it in August, got a late start down Kaibab (about 10 am) - very hot, no shade and no water sources except what we carried. Started up Bright Angel early - maybe 7 am.
We were about 45 at the time and had our 11 and 14 year olds with us - none of us in the best shape. Bright Angel was a piece of cake compared to S. Kaibab. Much less steep and water(!)available at Indian Gardens and two places above it, also shade. It really seemed easy until we hit the switchbacks (and the higher altitude) near the top. You shouldn't have any trouble at all with it.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:21 AM
ab

why not start out early just in case something happens? you don't want to end up in the dark.

We hiked down Bright Angel trail a few years ago with our sons, who are pretty athletic, but my youngest was 5 and older on 8. The youngest kept the pace and we were passing up lots of tourists.

It appeared that most people who were in reasonably good shape and were well prepared for the hike did ok, Of course it was tiring, especially on the way back but what an exciting place to get a challenge.

Many tourist were walking down in regular shoes, keds, sightseeing clothes, no water or heavy purses...it was silly and dangerous.

We were concerned about the heat but found that every time we were in the shade it was cool, we wore bandanas, carried water and light snack (weight wise light), good shoes, sunscreen and camera and enthusiasm.

I don't know how far INdian Gardens is. We went down to some bathroom, water shed. We were gone a few hours and loved it.

Next time we'll definitely plan a further hike and maybe consider an overnight trip.

Be careful with the unevenness of the terrain, the tourists who are parked blocking the trail and not having enough supplies.

I was also scared about the kids or myself falling off the side...

No way would I take a donkey ride.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:18 PM
x

they are MULES not donkeys.....and by the tie you feel hot and thirsty IT IS TOO late.......take lots of water...it`s twice as hard a climb back up as down!!!!!!!!....there are packs w/tubes for your mouths you carry on your backs....and the mules return onthe Kaibab trail cause the Bright Angel is so steep....the Indian Gardens are a 1/2 way stop for the mule overnight trip...or 2 day trip....

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Gary

I hate to tell Ab this but I would rather take a mule ride down in than try the trail on foot & feel safer in the long run.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Sandy

Not much to add. Did the South Kaibab down, Phantom Ranch overnight & Bright Angel up in October when husband was 62 & I was 59. He had trouble descending but perked up after getting a Gatoraid-like drink at the bottom. I had trouble ascending. The camel packs (on your back with a tube) were great! And I also recommend wetting down bandanas to wear around your neck. Good luck, you'll be talking about it for years.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:17 PM
ab

no way, one of those mules has to sneeze or gets an itch and has to shift it's weight and down you go....I know I'm being irrational but I thought those "MULES" (what's the difference between a mule and a donkey?)were traveling one behind each other, one of them does something to annoy the one behind it, move out of the way and down they go.....personal fear, I'd rather die off my own footing.

Regardless, the whole place was unbelievable, more breathe taking than any photo can capture and a wonderful hike.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Mary

You might want to have some salt tablets with you. I had never had trouble with lack of salt until I hiked in the Grand Canyon many years ago.

We went down the Kaibab Trail and by the time I was at the bottom I was in bad shape. A day of rest at the campground with plenty of food and water did no good, BUt a salt tablet from the ranger was a miracle pill for me.

The next day we hiked up to Indian Gardens and we felt so good we hiked two miles out to a point to see the river. The trip up to the top the next day was a piece of cake.

Take salt.

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been there and backpacked, at age 40, in on Bright Angel in 4 hours, and out the next day on S. Kaibab in 6 hrs., and without the "Kaibab shuffle"--calves so sore the next day that you can hardly walk. But, I was running at the time--6 days a week, and I trained for that hike the entire school year beforehand by backpacking a 6-mile hill route runners use for training for races--with my filled backpack and all additional things I'd be taking along on the trip--about 50 lbs. A few weeks before leaving, after having gotten to where I was able to go around that hill route 3 times without stopping, I went up to a Lake Geneva, WI, which has a
20-mile + shore path, and walked it as fast as I could, as I always had on the hill route. Even though I live at 730', and Grand Canyon is about a mile high, I suffered no ill effects, but as mentioned already, I did a LOT more preparation than you have. You can still do it, but you'll either say, at the end, "This was wonderful! Can't wait to come back!", or "This was the most awful experience of my life, and I never want to see Grand Canyon again." I think your response will be the latter.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Welcome Jim! While your input might help someone, please check the date of this question - 2002!! It helps to note the date when replying to threads that have come up on a search, which is how I figure you found this thread.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM

I wrote earlier, but forgot some things. First, a guy at the eating hall @ Phantom Ranch suggested that, if we had ziploc bags and extra T-shirts, to get them all dripping wet before leaving, then put them in the bags, and put on a dry shirt. When the sun gets high enough to get you sweating profusely (about 9A.M.), put on one of the wet shirts. It's like A/C. Next, make your own trail mix of things you like, and that you've tested on training hikes, and put them in a bag that you can be constantly snacking from. Lastly, plan to start well before dawn. I believe I started out at around 5:00, with a flashlight.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:41 AM

Oops!!!!! : ( I guess I missed that little detail. Sorry about that. But, it's there for someone in the future, in case they stumble across it.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:49 AM

Thanks Jim! Yes, you were off there by about ten years. But, I am planning to do this hike or rim to rim in the next year or two. So, I always like to read what people have experienced. This board can be kindof addictive, if you like to travel and are a planner.