Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hiking a short way way into the Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of five ("kids" ages 23, 20 and 18), and we're spending 2 nights at the Grand Canyon at the end of June.

We're not real experienced hikers, but we do like to do some easy/moderate hiking. We'd like to walk just a little ways down into the Grand Canyon (probably down the Bright Angel trail?).

Can we hike just as far as we want to down into the Canyon and then turn around and come back up, or does this get in the way of other people hiking? We'd probably be doing this pretty early in the morning to avoid the worst heat of the day.

Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Jed

My wife and I reached the Grand Canyon in the late afternoon, and walked down the South Kaibab trail for about an hour, then turned back. It was not an easy hike for us older people. There were very few other people on the trail at that time.

Two days later we took the mules down to Phantom Ranch. There were people walking up and down all the time on the path. The problem is not the people you will pass, but the mules who may have to pass you.

Check this out: http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/day-hiking.htm
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:25 AM

Hike in as far as you want, then turn around. Should be no problem.

Wear sunscreen and shoes that are amenable to hiking, and take some water, a hat, and sunglasses.

Remember that hiking down will be easier than hiking back up, so pace your hike to your anticipated abilities.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM

On the Bright Angel trail the traditional 'short hike' is to the 1.5 mile resthouse and then back.

On the Kaibab trail the 'short hike' is similar in length, to Cedar Ridge. There is no water here (there is water at the 1.5 mile resthouse except in the winter months) but the Kaibab hike is more scenic since it follows a ridge, and there are many fewer people and mules using this one. I would recommend this one as the best short hike.

Many of the people who 'get in trouble' hiking are doing these short day-trips. It's easy going down so they just keep going, then find it's much harder ascending and they get tired and run out of water and have to be rescued (or die, in the worst cases). A ranger told me the dumbest thing a tourist ever said to him was "I thought I'd just walk down until I got tired and then turn around". Duh.

Don't worry about getting in the way of people, you'll pass a couple hundred people in each direction plus (depending on the time of day) many mule trains. Just stand to the side and let them pass.

Bill
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody. It looks like we'll try some of the Kaibab Trail, but we'll be sure to turn around BEFORE we get tired. We'll also have water, hats, etc., with us.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM

The South Kaibab trail is steeper than Bright Angel but it does get you out to see up and down the canyon as it follows a ridge top. It will take some time to get out to where you can see that you are following a ridge as it switchbacks down quite a ways, then follows the side of Yaki point for quite a distance before it gets you out in the clear.

If you take Bright Angel trail there are pictographs visible on the canyon wall just after the first tunnel. As you exit the tunnel, look up and to the left and you should easily see them. The first tunnel isn't very far down into the canyon so even if you decide to hike the South Kaibab, you can include this little hike on Bright Angel the same day or the next day. If you follow the rim from El Tovar or Bright Angel Lodge to Kolb Studio, you are halfway from the rim to the first tunnel when you exit the studio and turn west. It's that easy!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Ag3046

The hike along the west side of the rim from the El Tovar is also really nice and quiet. No mule dung, so no flies, not elevation gain/loss. Many places to stop and listen to the quiet, see the vistas.

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Plan on taking twice as long to hike up as it took to hike down!

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/hike-tips.htm

Utahtea
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Sunrise from the Kaibab trail is spectacular, however, we've always done it in the fall, and I see that sunrise at the end of June is 5:12! During the summer the shuttle buses start quite early, but 5 a.m. may be TOO early, for you and for them.

Just my 2c.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I think I'm going to ENCOURAGE them to get up with me at least once to see the sunrise. It seems like an opportunity we can't miss. We're really getting excited now -- only 23 days!

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions and websites. I really appreciate it.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Samsaf, there's a free hiker's shuttle bus that runs to the Kaibab trailhead and it starts one hour before sunrise. Good idea to be on the first bus. Info on where to catch it is included in the info packet you receive when you enter the park.

If you do this hike on Kaibab, there are initially a set of seven switchbacks that drop you a couple hundred feet, then a long gentle traverse to your right that takes you below Yaki Point. Just beyond this the view opens in both directions and this is called "Oh My Gosh! Point".

This is less than a mile into the canyon, maybe halfway to Cedar Ridge, and if you go no further than this and catch sunrise from here you'll have better views than anywhere on the Bright Angel trail since you can see about 20 miles upstream (where the sun will rise) and 15 miles downstream.

If you still feel fresh here then it's a series of switchbacks to reach Cedar Ridge, visible below you from this point (the shiny metal object is the roof of the toilet at Cedar).

Bill
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM

We just returned last night from the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Yes, the Bright Angel trail is easy going down, however, up was tough. It's steep at some points and although the smell of mule dung under normal (?) circumstances wouldn't bother us it was a challenge trying to grasp a breath of fresh air at times. We suspect some folks over did it, i.e. went down too far before deciding to turn around and head up as we saw several day trippers sick on the side of the trail. We stayed at Thunderbird Lodge and began our descent of Bright Angel around 7:30A returning around noon.

The rim trails were easiest and provided fantastic views--glad we didn't pass them up. In addition, we took the red shuttle bus out to Hermits Rest then drove ourselves out to Desert View. The scenery everywhere we went took our breath away. You're going to enjoy an amazing trip!

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Another vote for going down South Kaibab in the morning. We did the trail down to Cedar Ridge (the toilet was a goal!) and started hiking around 6:30 a.m. Our kids were 8 and 10 at the time (3 years ago). Didn't really see "sunrise" but it was still gorgeous. And you get a very different feeling as you descend because you get a more distinct feeling of the vastness of the Canyon.

If I remember correctly, we were done hiking out at 10 a.m. We heeded the "it takes twice as long to come out as it does to hike in" advice; however, I think those warnings don't take into account the MANY times you stop to take photos on the way down (and you take few on the way out because it's harder). I do remember thinking that there were points where you felt like it was a long climb out but nothing like some of the other hikes we've done in National Parks.

So definitely go for it!

I was so inspired that I committed to hiking down and spending an overnight at Phantom Ranch when I turn 50 in two years Wish we had gone further on our own hike.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM

You really should try to get to see the sunrise either from a trail or from one of the points along the rim. My husband and I did this last year in late June. Our kids would not get up so early--their loss. They did hike all the way down to Phantom Ranch which was much more than I managed.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Welcome home AnnMarie! That is a fabulous place, isn't it!!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Hola, BeachGirl! Yes, it is! One of these days soon I hope to post some pictures and brief trip report.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your comments and suggestions. We've got two weeks until we leave, and we're getting excited!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 05:31 PM

I saw a documentary on GC and they interviewed a ranger whose only duty was to stand on the trail part way down the trail and check that people had water and were not overtired. She remarked on one gentleman who said he was only going to walk until he got tired, and then he would start back...up hill. She wouldn't let him go any farther.