Grand Canyon - Kabai Trail

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon - Kabai Trail

Hi all,

Found little info on this site re: Kabai Trail - recommended by a co-worker (20-something) who says it's short but vigorous..

Is this something a couple of 50-somethings (not in best shape) should tackle??

We'll have a morning at the canyon (from sunrise to lunchtime) where we'd like a hike that provides a better vantage point than just standing at the rim.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:20 PM

Do you mean the South Kaibab trail? What time of year are you going? That makes all the difference in the world.

There is no water available on the S.Kaibab trail, so even for a shorter dayhike you'll need to pack some. If you are going
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM

Oops, hit post too early.

If you are going this year before mid to late Sept, be sure to get a very early start. It gets hot quickly.

Also, it is a steep trail, going down is MUCH easier than going up, and going down the Bright Angel is easier than the S. Kaibab. If you are "not in best shape" I would not recommend this hike.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM

Probably the search didn't return anything because of the spelling, it's Kaibab ...

Is this something a couple of 50-somethings (not in best shape) should tackle??

Assuming you go early in the day when it's cool then there are two spots I can recommend ... the first is about 3/4 mile down the trail, after you've gone down the first seven switchbacks and traversed underneath the wall that is Yaki Point you'll suddenly come to an overlook that's incredible, with a 180 degree view up canyon and down. This is informally called "Oh My Gosh Point" or similar and it's pretty doable for all.

At the 1.5 mile point the trail flattens out a bit on something called Cedar Ridge, with a pit toilet, hitching post for the mule riders, and I think an interpretive display. This would be a nice day-hike for 50-somethings, 3 miles round trip, not TOO much elevation, great views. Take enough water for the round-trip and some food ... I would strongly advise against going deeper into the Canyon from here though.

We'll have a morning at the canyon (from sunrise to lunchtime) where we'd like a hike that provides a better vantage point than just standing at the rim.

For sure go to OhMYGosh! and then decide if you want to continue down to Cedar Ridge ... this is a great dayhike that's not too strenuous.

Bill
1,200 miles on Canyon trails and still counting

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
J62

The South Kaibab trail goes all the way to the Colorado River, where it continues to the North Kaibab trail over to the North Rim. NO you should definitely NOT plan to hike all the way to the river as you have to hike up whatever you hike down. There is a great vista a mile or 2 down the trail that's worthwhile, so perhaps that's your coworker's definition of short.

As one of the park rangers told us in jest 'the tram back up from the river isn't currently working.'

The problem with the South Kaibab trail is that there is virtually NO shade - you are in full sun from the get go. And, as cat mentioned there is absolutely no water anywhere on the trail.

A better choice in my opinion would be the Bright Angel trail. There is water available at the 1 1/2 mi and 3 mile turnarounds. But those aren't easy hikes either. The 1 1/2 mile turn around is 1000' below the rim - and I think the 3 mile point is another 1000' drop. The BA trailhead is more convenient than the Kaibab trail.

The walk back up from 1000' descent is a lot of work (imaging climbing steps of the Empire State building) in full Arizona desert heat. One person's definition of 'not too strenuous' can be another's nightmare.

When I was there in late June it took me and family (all relatively fit) 45min to descend and over 90min to hike back up from the 1 1/2 mile point. We carried 1-2 liters of water each and refilled the bottles at the turn. We were on the trail by 7am, and it was blazing heat on the way back up - you definitely want to get an early start to avoid the mid day or afternoon heat if there in summer.

So if you want you can take either the Kaibab or Bright Angel trails as far as you wish and then turn around - perhaps down a switchback or two. You'll get off the rim, see some of the rock layers.

I have to say that while we enjoyed getting off the rim, even at 1000' and 1 1/2 miles down the trail you've barely made a dent.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 06:46 AM

A better choice in my opinion would be the Bright Angel trail

The Bright Angel is indeed a nice trail but for what Luvs2travel is seeking ("a hike that provides a better vantage point") let me make the case for Kaibab being better.

1) BA follows a drainage so you don't get the same angle of view, it's more like being inside a shallow bowl looking out. Kaibab follows ridgelines, with drop-offs on both sides and a 180 degree panorama once you get to OhMyGosh! point a short distance down. For sure the scenery is much more dramatic on Kaibab.

2) In the course of a day you'll see 10 times as many people and mules on BA as on Kaibab. They run a constant stream of mules to Panorama Point near Indian Gardens on BA, there's a busy campground at Indian G, and almost every one hiking up from the river (except me) comes up via Bright Angel because there's water at three spots. On Kaibab you get the folks going to Cedar Ridge, the few hiking to the river, one pack mule train at sunrise taking supplies to Phantom Ranch and two dude-carrying mule trains coming up from Phantom that reach the rim around noon. That's it for the entire day.

So if you want a lot more solitude then Kaibab is the better trail for sure.

Two posters made the point that there is water and shade on BA, which is true, but this is most handy when you are lugging a 50 lb backpack up from the river on a hot day. For a morning day hike where you aren't descending far it's not as crucial.

Also, I saw mention of the extreme heat ... it is extremely hot on the river in the summer, with temps over 100 F most days, often 110-115 F. (I did a 38 mile weekend hike once when rangers did 18 helicopter rescues of distressed hikers and a guy in the group ahead of us died of heat stroke on a 118 F day). But the rim is 4,400 and 4,800 feet higher at BA trailhead and Kaibab trailhead respectively. The rim temps are about 20 F cooler than the river temps because of elevation, with most days in the 80's for the high. At night it's typically in the 50's or 60's so a morning hike, like Travel is planning, avoids even the 80-90 F temps of late afternoon.

I vote Kaibab

Bill
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM

I'm sure the co-worker meant hiking Kaibab to either OMG point or Cedar Ridge. Either of those fit the bill for being short but vigorous.

I have to agree with Bill. S. Kaibab is a better choice than Bright Angel with much better views. Whether there's water on the trail or not is irrelevant for a short hike - hikers on a short dayhike should carry enough with them for the entire hike.

From a separate thread, the OP mentions this trip is in late September so high temps are really not an issue. Even in summer, as Bill mentioned, high temps shouldn't be an issue for a short hike starting in the morning.

I would disagree with the poster who said S. Kaibab has virtually no shade. In the morning the upper section has plenty of shade. It's not until hitting OMG point that sun becomes somewhat of an issue, and even then there is some shade. Cedar Ridge marks the point where it really opens up and you're out in full sun with no relief. Since the OP has from sunrise to lunchtime for their hike, I'd say they will be fine with decent temps and sufficient shade to hike S. Kaibab.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:45 AM

"not in best shape" is such a broad term. If you have any respiratory or cardiac disease, do NOT take any hike down into the canyon. The GC rim is at 7,000 feet. Your cardiovascular system will be stressd enough with the thinnner air.

There is a nice trail that goes along the rim, north from the visitor center. Some of it is paved. It gives you a very quiet perspective on the canyon, and time away from the noisy crowds.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

To all who provided feedback - thanks so much!!

LOL that I had the trail name wrong - my colleague is HORRIBLE at spelling!!

I think we'll follow suggestions from Bill H and WhereAreWe for hike on Kaibab trail to OMG point (maybe Cedar Ridge) - starting early in the day, packing lots of water.

Any further would be too much. I'm sure the views only get better the further one ventures into the canyon, but we know our limitations and have no desire to push that envelope!

Kudos to all of you who have that stamina - and thanks again for the input!!