Grand Canoyon hike recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to GC next week. Going with a 9 year old and a 7 year old. They are good hikers - but I think their limit is around 4 hours. I think am looking for something more than just a 'rim-walk' style hike. Can anyone recommend a nice hike that fits within those parameters.

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:22 AM

Go below the rim for as far as you like. Of course, it will be tougher on the return as it will be uphill. Probably only go 1-1.5 hours down and then it will take longer back up. I haven't been at this time of year, but I would think that there could be snow on the trails. You could do Bright Angel and turn around the 1.5 mile rest house. I think the 3 mile resthouse might be too far. On South Kaibab trail you could go to Cedar Ridge and turn around. Sounds like a good springbreak trip to me!!! Maybe ride mules on the rim, or part of the way down(don't know age restrictions). Helicopter is pretty neat way to see it as well.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:28 AM

As you can imagine, everything but a rim hike will be down into the canyon. With smallish children like you have, be careful about heading down more than a mile or two, it is a pretty steep climb back up. Beware of ice that time of year.

For beautiful views, the Kaibab trail at sunrise is glorious. Much of it is sort of on a ridge for nice views all around. The Bright Angel trail descends into a canyon, and isn't as scenic. The Kaibab has no water so you need to carry your own, the Bright Angel has some 1.5 miles down (I think), but I would recommend the Kaibab. When my daughter was 12 she hiked with me 3 miles down, then on the way back up got so tired she wanted to throw herself off the trail.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:42 AM

Both times when we hiked the GC (once when the kids were younger a bit down the Bright Angel trail and last year all the way down and up when they were teens) the kids did MUCH better than the adults. I trained like crazy but they stil had more stamina, just from playing soccer, basketball, dancing, etc. (and having much younger knees.) I do predict that whem all is said and done, you will have nighmares about the 7 year old falling down the canyon. That is the only thing that bothered me - having a little kid hiking close to a sheer drop off.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM

Take 'em down Kaibab trail as early in the day as you can get there, stopping where it levels out about 1.5 miles down (there's a small building with a toilet, you can't miss it) at Cedar Ridge. Views are better on Kaibab than Bright Angel and there is much less mule traffic (and much less mule crap and urine stinking up the trail).

Take plenty of water and some food.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:29 PM

Ditto on the above--Kaibab is a lot steeper but a lot more scenic. Bright Angel is more gradual but doesn't have the great canyon views.

We went in Mid March a few years ago--to the bottom--and we bought Yak Trax because of the snow/ice on the trail. That really scared me but it turns out it's a lot easier walking on than the mud and then sand/rocks. I was actually glad to get back up up the snow! With the Yak Trax, I felt very secure, even though I have a fear of heights.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 03:58 PM

The Kaibab has no water so you need to carry your own

True, no water anywhere on the Kaibab ...

the Bright Angel has some 1.5 miles down (I think)

There's always water at Indian Gardens 4.5 miles down BA (except when the pipeline from the north rim breaks, which happens every couple years during the spring run-off). In the heat of the summer they also turn on the spigots at the 1.5 and 3 mile resthouses, but in the cooler months the water is not turned on at these two spots (maybe so it won't freeze).

So for a trip in March, like the original post, I would not count on getting water at 1.5 or 3 mile resthouses unless a Ranger has said that it is turned on.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
J62

Bright Angel trail to the 1.5mi point will take you a full 3 hrs round trip, and you don't even get off the switchbacks on the side of the canyon.

The 3mile point will take you further, but you still don't get great views.

For your needs I recommend the Kaibab trail - the 1.5mi point takes you much further out into the canyon rather than just hugging the wall with switchbacks on the BA trail.

You can always also venture down the BA trail 1/2 mile or less, or even just a few switchbacks to get a different perspective.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:15 PM

water, water, water.

And hikers on the mule trails are walking in what the mules leave behind, just so you know.

Also, because it is a mule trail for historic and practical reasons, the mules get priority when coming across hikers.

My drift? Sit on top of the surefooted animal. Avoid the muck below.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 05:48 AM

as for worrying about the 7 year old falling off the trail. I understand. We have taken our kids hiking all over the west, GC included, since they were in baby carriers. But once they started walking, we harnessed them and used rock climbing ropes and carabiners (sp?) to tie them to us, so if they did slip, we could gat a grip on them. we have had more than one Park Ranger, tell us that that is the smartest thing they had ever seen. Our kids are now 4 and 6, we are heading out west again this Spring and will be bringing our harnesses with us. Have a great time. We did Kaibab Trail when the kids were 2 and 5 months (October) we went as far as Skeleton Point. We started early in the morning abround sunrise. It was GREAT! At that age, of course, the kids were being carried.

Enjoy.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:41 AM

Reference