Hiking in AZ (second half of April)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please give me some suggestions for some good places to go for hiking. I am hoping that it won't be too hot. From all of the postings I have read, it looks like it makes more sense for me to spend my whole vacation in Arizona instead of going to New Mexico and Texas.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 09:10 PM
E

Where in AZ will you be headquartered? Are you considering day trips only, or overnighters? The hiking options in the state are myriad--I could suggest some specifics if I knew which area you'll be in.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

I plan to be in Arizona for around 10 days. We are interested in day hikes. We would like to avoid poorly marked trails, wading through water, and rock climbing. We also would like to do some horseback riding. We are skipping Grand Canyon since we have both been there already.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:29 AM
E

OK, but where in Arizona will you be? I mean, if you're staying in Scottsdale, day hikes south of Tucson would be impossible for you to do. I'm stumped!
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 12:07 PM

I think it sounds like they plan to travel around the state, but want to stay in hotels and not camp overnight. I think?
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Here is a draft of the itinerary (still trying to see if I can eliminate one day):

Day 1: fly into Phoenix and drive to Tucson (how many hours would the drive be)? Stay at Casa Tierra or Windmill Inn.

Day 2: Saguaro National Park (some hiking). Visit Mission San Xavier del Bac? Drive to Mt. Lemmon. Stay in Tucson.

Day 3: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (1/2 day). Sabino Canyon. Visit Tombstone. Kitt Peak Observation Program. Stay in Tucson.

Day 4: Go to Kartchner Caverns State Park for cave tour. Drive to Scottsdale. (# hours for drive = ?)

Day 5: visit Old Town and do some shopping in the morning. Drive to Sedona. Stay at Sedona Hilton.

Day 6: pink jeep tour.
Do some hiking.
Stay at Sedona Hilton.

Day 7:
Do some hiking at Slide Rock State Park. Visit Oak Creek. Drive to Grand Canyon (stay somewhere in the vicinity).

Day 8: Do some hiking. Stay overnight in the vicinity?

Day 9: Drive back to Phoenix airport.

Is Grand Canyon better than Canyon De Chelly? I have been to Mesa Verde and Grand Canyon before.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 03:26 PM

Your schedule is unrealistic. Sights in Southern AZ are far from each other. For example the Desert Museum is at least twenty miles from Sabino Canyon. Tombstone is 1.5 hours from Tucson and Kitt Peak is another 1-1.5 hours each way. You could spend a day doing each of those things. I would try for two of the sights you mention each day. You will enjoy them much more. You may want to do San Xavier and the Desert Musuem on the same day--their proximity is better than Sabino Canyon.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Which is better for hiking? Sabino Canyon or Ramsey Canyon? I am eliminating one of them from my trip.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:35 PM

Ramsey Canyon is a great birding spot and less strenuous hiking. It is also two hours from Tucson (each way). Sabino has several trails, from easy to difficult and is truly a beautiful desert canyon with saguaros, desert animals and some water (not much this year due to drought). So it really depends on your time allotments and what you want to see. If you hike one of the longer trails at Sabino Canyon, take plenty of water, a hat, 45 sunscreen and a cell phone. Even among experienced hikers, these are essential in a desert canyon.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:45 PM

If you've got a couple of days and are in good physical condition, you should consider a hike down into Havasu Canyon to see Havasu Falls.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

All of our hikes only a couple of hours at the most since we are not camping.

Is the horseback riding good in the Tucson area?

We are planning on spending 3 nights in Tucson.