Reload this Page >

April 15-30 in Arizona

Search

April 15-30 in Arizona

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Grandpa

April 15-30 in Arizona

We are hikers and like outdoors. We never saw a blooming desert, is April too late to experience this?

We will be arriving in Phoenix, renting car there and are open to any suggestions. We will have 14 days to spend there. But where? At this point we don't know. Any ideas? Where is the best place to observe birds? Are there any wildlife in Arizona?

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Mariann

Arizona is the 6th biggest state in the US.
It has 3 very distinct different climates.
So when you speak of the entire state, you're encompassing a lot of territory.

There are 12,000 foot snowcapped mountains in the north by Flagstaff.
There is the Grand Canyon.
And Sedona.
These areas do't sizzle like the southern part of the state...certainly not in April.

Even Phoenix is not unpleasantly warm until in May most years.

Until it gets very hot in the south, there is plenty of wildlife throughout the state.
All the areas above, as well as Lake Powell, Tucson, and some of the bigger parks are worth visiting.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:23 AM
E.

Are there any wildlife?? How can you ask such a question when you say you like outdoors--what do you think?? Do a search here on AZ and you'll find previous posts by me and others detailing the myriad opportunities for wildlife watching and hiking in AZ. I refuse to repeat them for your benefit.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:30 AM
sunnie

What a holiday spirit you have, E.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:33 AM
E.

And what a Pollyanna you are, "Sunnie"!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Sunnie

Sorry E.
I hope that someone will give more information to Grandpa regarding flora and fauna in Arizona. I been in Sedona a few years ago. I remember seeing many birds but I cannot recall any other fauna.
On the other hand scenery was amazing.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:45 AM

Who lit the fuse on your tampon, E?
What a b*tch!!
I pity your family this time of year.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Birds and Flowers

I think E was really asking "Grandpa" why in the heck he was going to the Phoenix area if had no idea what was going on, or what to do. A very common problem on this forum (I'm going to New York, what should I do?).

Hey "Grandpa", do some research and come back with more specific questions. This not a travel agency, but very helpful Fordorites who would really enjoy giving input, not complete itinereries.

If you are VERY lucky, go 5 miles West of Phoenix, 7 miles South, take 47 steps to the East, and hide......if you are REALLY lucky, you will see Road Runner chasing Wylie Coyote........Beep....Beep.

Birds and Flowers

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 01:35 PM
more

Birds and Flowers sounds like E to me in B & F clothing. Whadja think?

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 02:30 PM
steve

There is not much readily observable (mammal) wildlife in Arizona.

Good birding at the Boyce Arboretum in SUperior - about 60 miles E of Phoenix, Also Ramsey Canyon in SOuthern Arizona.

It will probably not be a very blooming desert this year as rains are needed around Oct. to start the process in motion.

Lots of places to hike - Pick anywhere from the Grand Canyon, south to Ciricahua Nat. Mon.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 02:31 PM
billy

Yup.
You can't fool us E.
We seeee you.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Karen

April is a sensational time to visit Arizona. The Apache Trail, east of Phoenix, is a well known and loved drive with loads of desert plants and three desert lakes...after driving this, you can end up in the Payson area and have lunch and along the Apache Trail, stop at Tortilla Flats for lunch or snack. Also, our favorite area, for desert beauty, is the road from I-17 to Wickenburg, west of Phoenix...loads of places to stop and hike into the desert. Saguaro National Forest in Tucson is another area of natural beauty and a stop at Desert Sonora Museum, an outdoor museum of flora, fauna and animals of the Sonoran Desert. Loads of animals will be visible there, including prairie dogs, coyotes, birds of prey, snakes, gila monsters, etc....in the natural desert you might walk upon snakes, coyotes, ground squirrels, varieties of birds soaring overhead. South of Tucson in Ramsey Canyon is a hummingbird sanctuary and Chiracahua Mtns. will have more areas of interest. Also, I believe you might be here for the Dons'Club Superstition Mtn. event, all day b-b-q, lectures, rides, etc...very popular and you do need tickets to attend...they may have a website.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:43 PM
E.

This is to set the record straight for my own peace of mind:
I am not posting under other names.
I reacted angrily to an inane question by a poster who had clearly not bothered to do the least tiniest bit of research before posting said inane question.
My post may not have been pleasant, but it was a sight more civil than the replies to it.
Sunnie, Grandpa can get information from me and many others by--GASP--doing a SEARCH here on the site. Why on earth should we all repeat ourselves ad nauseum on a topic as immutable as the flora and fauna of Arizona? Restaurants and hotels change, and are worth asking about repeatedly, but "Is there any wildlife in Arizona?" will never make sense.
And Grandpa, I sincerely hope you do some research, and have a wonderful trip to AZ, really I do.