Search

Phoenix, Sedona, Grand Canyon advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix, Sedona, Grand Canyon advice

Hi,
My husband and I have a Southwest voucher that needs to be used by February.
(although we may be able to pay extra to extend it)
We're thinking of flying into Phoenix, driving to the Grand Canyon, stopping in Sedona on the way.
We don't mind cooler weather but wouldn't want to be stuck in a snowstorm during our drive.
I know nobody can predict the weather, but do you think overall we're better off traveling in April that February?
I was at the Grand Canyon only once in February quite a few years ago and the weather was great!
Thanks for your help.
ps We'd like to stay in the canyon for a night or two.............any recommendations for hotels/lodges in the park?
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM

March and April are perfect for Phoenix, with higher rates at the resorts too. I've experienced late season snow storms at the GC in early April but they are rare. Later into April you would not likely see a snow storm up there.

Sedona is about 3,000 ft higher than Phoenix (12-15 degrees colder), 3,000 ft lower than the GC. I'd expect chilly nights and moderate, sunny days there in April.

For sure you have better weather odds in April than in February, where you'd expect a GC snowstorm once or twice (or thrice), sometimes heavy. But a lot of people visit Arizona in February to escape winter conditions where they live. A couple of blizzards and the planes from Chicago fill up. Usually highs in the upper 50's and 60's in Phoenix in Feb with sunny skies, 20-25 degrees colder at the GC, with very cold nights.

We'd like to stay in the canyon for a night or two.............any recommendations for hotels/lodges in the park?

1st choice would be on the rims (El Tovar, Bright Angel, couple others), 2nd choice would be the two lodges about 1/4 mile off the rim (Yavapai, Maswik), 3rd choice would be Tusayan, about 7 miles away and outside the park. Should be no problems booking your choice of rooms if you do it early.

Here's the link to the park concessionaire with the lodges:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lod...88750-411.html
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM

April will definitely be a better time to visit. As Bill mentioned, there is a much higher likelihood of snowstorms in February around the Grand Canyon.

The other two rim lodges are Kachina and Thunderbird. When you book, I wouldn't pay any extra for a canyon view room, because you really can't see much of the canyon from any of the rooms.

I would definitely also opt for a few days in Sedona. Lots to see and do there. Let us know how long you would plan to be there and we can help with things to see and do. Also, are you big on hiking?
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your quick replies!
I think we'll opt for April!
I need to check out distances etc but as of now I was planning on driving to Sedona the day we arrive in Phoenix, staying there for 2 or 3 nights, driving to the GC and staying for 2 nights, and then driving back to Phoenix and staying in that area for 2 or 3 nights (we have friends there)
We're not big hikers but do enjoy short walks (a couple of miles or so)
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Big differene in prices............have either of you stayed at either Bright Angel or El Tovar?
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Great.

Around 2 hours from Phoenix to Sedona. When you go to the GC, I would suggest going up 89, east of Flagstaff and entering through the east entrance. You can also drive through the Wupatki National Monument / sunset Crater loop road on the way. If you figure 2 hours for the loop road, you could have lunch at the Cameron Trading Post before entering the GC. Have the Navajo Taco -- but just the medium one.

In Sedona, visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross. I'm not at all religious, but the chapel is a special place, beautiful in its simplicity and moving in its atmosphere.

The first day, take the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour. It will give you a good overview of the area and its geology.

If you have time, visit Jerome, an old mining town reborn as an artist colony.

Take the Verde Canyon Railroad trip

Visit Red Rock Crossing and do the easy hike to Cathedral Rock.

Visit Bell Rock and hike to / around it. You can make it as long or as short as you want.

Browse through Tlaquepaque, have lunch at Oak Creek Brewery.

Have dinner at Dahl & DiLuca and the Cowboy Club Silver Saddle Room.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:40 AM

I have never stayed at El Tovar. A lot of people want to stay there because it is the first of the GC lodges. The advantage is that their restaurant is in the same building. I prefer to pay less in one of the other lodges, since we are seldom in the room anyway.

In Sedona, we have stayed at Sky Ranch Lodge. Relatively inexpensive and beautiful views from some rooms. Walking distance to the airport cafe for a good, filling breakfast.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:33 AM

We've always had wonderful weather when traveling to Sedona/Grand Canyon in April. However, several friends have had snow when they've gone in April. (Just so you know it's a possibility). Any of the lodges in Grand Canyon mentioned so far would be fine. It's great to be on the rim, because you can get up in the AM, grab a cup of coffee and stand on the rim drinking in that amazing view!
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all.............I'm thinking of Bright Angel.
El Tovar is a bit on the high side and at this point has no availability anyway
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM

Don't wait to book. All of the rim lodges fill up way in advance, so book now.

Elnap, we also like to grab a bottle of wine from our room and stroll the rim trail at sunset having some good wine.

And you are certainly right about possible snow in April. In fact, we ran into snow / sleet coming into Sedona in late April a few years ago.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 01:11 PM

have either of you stayed at either Bright Angel or El Tovar?

I've stayed at ET three times, usually for special occasions like a wedding. It's overpriced for sure and some of the rooms are very small and noisy, but it's the traditional 'best' place. For sure the best dining room inside the park.

Stayed at BA once, the room was small, old and shabby with a tiny black-white TV (this was maybe 15 years ago). Great location, a few steps from the trailhead, but kind of run down. There is a wide range of rooms at BA, from cabins and suites to ones with a shared bath. I would at least get one with a private bath
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 01:20 PM

GC cancellation policy wen booked directly through Xanterra, at least, is no penalty if cancelled two days in advance.
1 888 297 2757

We just got a room from a cancellation in July. Website had no availability. I took everyone's suggestions and starting calling everyday, and after three days have a room. So keep trying. Calling is the way to go when website says there are no rooms.

Thanks, MikePT.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM

I have been many times to Sedona in Feb. and sometimes there is snow.
April would be ideal.

I have never been a fan of Sky Ranch Lodge in Sedona..great views but its so run down and rustic for around $175 a night that I don't know how anyone will pay that when you can go to Sedona Rouge resort and spa for the same price with a gorgeous hotel room or Hyatt Pinion for $139 for a one bedroom suite with red rock views.

They had a deal at Enchantment resort for $275 a night which is solid 5* and room rates usually start at $1k a night.

BW Inn of Sedona is the best bang for around $100 a night with a really nice renovated room with killer views from the patio, free breakfast and shuttle.
Try expedia.com
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks All.
I booked a Bright Angel Cabin for two nights!
I appreciate everyone's help and advice!