Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Here's a dumb question about carry on luggage.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delta says that its carry on luggage must fit in the "Size Wise" thingee. It has dimensions of 22"X14"X9". The LL Bean rolling duffle bags (size med - smaller size not made) run 14"H x 18½"W x 14"D or 11"H x 23"W x 11"D (two different models).
Now, clearly I'm no math genius. Would either of these bags work as a carry on?

Also, Delta says carry on must be under 40 lbs. Is that per piece or total? Here's the web page. http://www.delta.com/travel/plan/bag...ight/index.jsp

Thank you!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Delta's dimensions of the bags are 22" long, 14" wide, 9"high. Your dilemma as I see it is that neither bag is going to fit into the door as they are too high. Sometimes you can cheat a bag that is too long by placing it lengthwise in the compartment, or one that is too wide as long as it will fit front to back and top to bottom. But if your bag will not go into the compartment because it's too high then you'd have to check it. I have this problem with my expandable bag when it's full-size, but otherwise fits in overhead.

I'm assuming that these Delta dimensions are the ones for the compartment door, and that there is no lee-way. But maybe someone else knows else-wise.

You are only allowed one carry-on bag for 40 lbs. I've never seen them weigh it so I wouldnt' worry. They also allow a handbag or laptop, but not both. They are very strict about the number of bags now.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:16 AM
GoTravel

I always take two carryons. One is a 22 inch pullman and the other is a duffle bag. My handbag is inside the duffle.

The dimensions of my duffle are 22x12x12. Because it is a duffle bag, it can collapse into the exact carryon specifications.

Just make sure you aren't trying to drag a steamer trunk onto the plane with you as carryon and you'll be fine. I've never ever had anyone question me.

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:28 AM

i can't imagine trying to heft a bag weighing more than 40 lbs. into an overhead bin!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
One consideration with the rolling duffle is the frame (that makes the handle and wheels go). A normal duffle can be squished and poked into a smaller space, but the hard frame limits this flexibility somewhat.