HELP with YOSEMITE trip with kids from Los Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take my kids to Yosemite this summer. I've never been! We will be coming from Los Angeles. I have several kids from infant to age 13, so I need budget -- but clean and safe! -- accommodations. Is 3 nights sufficient? 4 better? Is August a decent time to go? One possibility was to stay at the Worldmark in Angels Camp. Is that a good idea? I read that to stay in Yosemite you need to make reservations up to a year in advance! Itinerary ideas? Thanks so much! I SO appreciate any and all help and recommendations for a great trip for a longtime City girl blessed with a bunch of boys !!
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:31 PM

You don't necessarily need reservations a year in advance. I was looking in March and there was still some availibility, but you'd better start looking right this minute. Are you flexible date wise? I think that would help a lot.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:40 PM
J62

It's a 2 hr drive each way from Angels Camp to Yosemite. Four hrs driving each day doesn't sound very attractive to me, kids or no kids.

Are you open to staying in a tent @ Curry Village? If so, that opens up more possibilities for in-park lodging.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can score 3 consecutive nights inside the park- book it! If you can only get 2, book a night in Oakhurst and head to the park early in the morning. It is a shame that Mariposa Grove won't be open this year.
Be sure to stop at the view on the left as soon as you exit the tunnel. The view of the Valley is great.
With the drought, the waterfalls may only be a trickle in August. I'm hoping there won't be any major fires in the area.
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I will look into lodgings in Yosemite itself now then. And forget the 2 hour commute! No tent. I have a baby and a soon to be 3 year old and that just wouldn't be pleasant! What is there to do in Yosemite other than look at the beauty? How many days do I need to do a proper Yosemite tour with my kids? Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would just spend a few days with kids that small.
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> Is August a decent time to go? as a base for YNP. The resort is fine and you could have a fun time there -- but it is nowhere near Yosemite. It is about a 2.5 hour drive. There is plenty in the area for kids/families to fill your 4 days (Columbia State Park, various caves/caverns/gold mines, Calaveras Big Trees, fishing, hiking, golf etc etc). But NOT a base for YNP.

As for accommodations in YNP -- try for a room at either Yosemite Lodge or in Curry Village (motel style rooms). If you get in - great. If not, book at Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. It is very close to the park entrance and has a generous cancellation policy. Then keep trying for a room in the park and if successful cancel at Yosemite View.

But honestly - if it is Yosemite or Monterey in late summer - I'd take Monterey. . .
Old May 14th, 2015, 03:03 PM

What is there to do in Yosemite for kids?

Walk to the waterfalls, float sticks in the river, play in the river, ride bikes, ride horses, rides the trams all day and get on and off, look for wild life, attend every ranger talk all day long and get their ranger badge, go to the Ahwahnee Hotel and look around, go to the Museum and look at all of the Indian artifact and stuff. Get a photo book of the park and start learning nammes of the waterfalls and the mountains inside the park, they when they get there they can spot them!.

I'm sure there are more but these are my fa vorites and favorites of my boys.
Old May 14th, 2015, 03:47 PM

I was also wondering if you decided against Monterey. Finding accommodations at Yosemite for August will not be easier or less expensive.
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi! This is in addition to my hope-for trip to Monterey! Was planning on Monterey in July and Yosemite in August. I was looking at the hotels listed on the "Yosemite" site and all I found was one of the hotels which had on eking bed and was very expensive! I think the Curry Lodge (the one with tent like rooms) was also booked. Will keep looking. Anywhere else to stay in close driving distance to the park? Any other suggested activities? I have older kids as well... Thanks SO much!
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:15 PM

For you older kids, is 13 the oldest? Yosemite is all about hiking! I'm not sure how you would manage that on your own with the little ones along so I didn't mention it. Have you looked at the Yosemite website? That might be helpful. You are asking extremely broad questions about Yosemite and the Monterey Carmel area and without you doing some simple fact finding on your own , listing your children's interests or other specifics, it is hard to make good suggestions.

I am very familiar with Yosemite and have taken my kids there on my own but if you have never been there, it might be a lot to take four kids there on your own. It can be very crowded, it can get very hot and it would be difficult for you if one got sick. Please think about how much you really want to bite off on your own. I am not trying to insult you but I have traveled quite a bit as a single parent and have learned my limits. I think Yosemite would be tough for one adult with four kids. I'm sure others will have other opinions. Good luck!
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:19 PM

>>Anywhere else to stay in close driving distance to the park?__________________________________________________ _________________</red>

But IMO it really isn't the best time of year for Yosemite and would be tough w/ the age range of your kids. It will be VERY crowded and the shuttles will run very full w/ lots of standing (you will need to take shuttle buses anywhere in the Valley). I might hold off visiting Yosemite til your little one is a few years older and you can go maybe around Easter or in May or June.

Actually -- the WorldMark resort up in Angels Camp might be an easier/cheaper short escape w/ the kids.
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:23 PM

36 miles from Yosemite Valley is Midpines. You could try KOA kamping cabins (around 100 dollars a night). Trouble with this is that I have no idea if your 13 month old would be considered an additional person, you'd have to call (website shows availibility for 1 adult and three kids, but system kicks me out with 4 kids, and I think that's honestly a problem you'd have at many motels too.) We've found KOAs very kid friendly. You have to pack your own bedding and cooler but no other camping gear needed, really. But I'm leaning towards agreeing with Lynni- national park, four young kids, budget lodging, by myself, does not sound like something I'd choose either.

Have you seen this website? Very useful in figuring out how far away you want to be. Might be a good starting point for looking for lodging.

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/lodging...te-lodging.htm
Old May 15th, 2015, 08:36 AM

it is 'only' 36 miles -- but that takes at least an hour's drive.

If you still want to visit Yosemite -- stay IN the Valley, or in El Portal, or rent a condo or house in Yosemite West. http://www.yosemitewest.com/homes.html

Anyplace else will have you in the car for loooooong drives every day.
Old May 16th, 2015, 11:15 AM

We stayed at At Yosemite Lodge good for all ages and helpful with small to huge hikes. I would grab reservation s immediately. Also stayed next door at place something like Apple Inn for an extra night cause thought that area so spectacular.
It's about 40 min drive park. But difficult to find accomm.
I would recommend making plans for older kids to do the more strenuous hikes with a parent. My son and husband went to top of Half Dome which is insane.
Also,quite warm to hot that time of year.
Not certain what you can do with an infant since it's mainly about hiking and tremendous views.