Search

Help with Southwest Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Southwest Itinerary

Hi,

We have a 2 week trip planned going to New Mexico and Colorado. We are staying 3 nights in Santa Fe and then planned to stay in the Farmington area for 2 nights to go to Chaco Canyon, Aztec Ruins, Shiprock Peak, etc. From there we are staying 2 nights at Far View Lodge in Mesa Verde then drive the Million Dollar Highway to Ouray-stay 2 nights and explore perhaps go to Telluride and Black Canyon. Then end up in Durango for 3 nights and explore areas around there as well as take the train to Silverton for the experience.

The place we planned to stay in Farmington, Casa Blanca, is undergoing renovations so I am now rethinking that part of the trip.

Looking for suggestions for 2 nights coming from Santa Fe and then ending up in Mesa Verde. Thinking about Canyon de Chelly or Monument Valley. What is driving distance from Santa Fe? Should we still go to Chaco Canyon?

Looking for recommendations and suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:02 PM

If you do decide to stay in the Farmington area be sure to check out the Bisti Wilderness about 40 miles on NM 371. A wonderful area to dayhike into. Hoodoos, petrified wood and spectacular scenery. Be sure to carry water and a compass as is easy to get twisted round. Check out www.americansouthwest.net/ for Bisti and other natural wonders in the area.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:59 PM

Black Canyon of the Gunnison is breath-taking. Bear in mind, however, that it is about 2 hrs from Ouray, which is a beautiful,mt-nestled town. You might consider 3 nts in Ouray to also explore some 4WD rds.
We also stayed in Far View Lodge. We had deer walking by our deck in the AM. Very relaxing! Also, Mesa Verde is great.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 06:24 PM

Chaco - Monument Valley - Canyon de Chelly. All excellent choices.

Chaco is out a very nicely graded dirt road. If there is a thunderstorm or hard rains, I don't suggest you try going.

Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley are both beautiful scenic locations. Both have guided tours.

It's like asking me which finger should I cut off...LOL!

If you do change your plans, then may I suggest Canyon de Chelly and take a guide tour of the canyon. On your way to Mesa Verde go the 80 miles out of your way to at least see Monument Valley and maybe get in a couple hour tour.

Utahtea
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments.

How long is the drive from Santa Fe to Canyon de Chelly? If we decide to go there from Santa Fe can we see Chaco Canyon on the way or does it make more sense to go to Chaco on the way back to Mesa verde from Canyon de Chelly?

Do we need 1 or 2 nights in the Canyon de Chelly area? I checked and the Thunderbird Lodge is booked but the Holiday Inn has rooms available.

We plan on doing a 4WD trip in Ouray , however, they told us they will probably be very limited as they have had so much snow and the roads will still not be cleared by May.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:24 AM

From Santa Fe to Canyon de Chelly via Chaco is almost 400 miles and 9 hours of just driving. I've only entered Chaco from the north entrance and according to the offical Chaco web-site, that's the one they recommend so that's what all my mileages will be based on.

http://www.nps.gov/chcu/pphtml/planyourvisit.html

From Santa Fe directly to Canyon de Chelly is almost 300 miles and will take about 5 hours driving time.

From Canyon de Chelly via Chaco to Mesa Verde is 370 miles but again, it's 9 hours of driving time.

From Canyon de Chelly right to Mesa Verde is 170 miles and 4 hours of driving.

If you are going to going in the North entrance road to Chaco then it makes more sense to do it on your way to Canyon de Chelly. This is going to be a long day. Chaco is very interesting!

The guide jeep tours at Canyon de Chelly, out of the Thunderbird lodge are very reasonable. I wish we had done the all day tour, but we only did the half day and it was fantastic!

http://www.tbirdlodge.com/Tours.htm

If you are doing a tour, then one full day and a few hours of either the day you arrive or the day you leave should be enought. The tour takes you into the canyon, so you will want to drive the S. Rim to see Spider Rock.

http://pages.ivillage.com/utahtea2/id11.html

Utahtea

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:35 AM

Santa Fe to Canyon de Chelly is about 5 hours if you drop down to Albu, over to Gallup and then up to Chinle. From there to Chaco depends on how you go, but there is no way that does not involve back tracking and/or beating your car up on a dirt road. If you are in Santa Fe anyway, head over to Bandelier Nat. Monument. I recommend you watch the weather when you are in the region, particularly if you plan to travel any dirt roads, but also going over the high passes.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:40 PM

Hello ellayneg
First of all, Farmingto, New Mexico is a good size town.You also have Shiprock town as well.Chaco Canyon is a very beautiful area as well. I takes somw williness to drive the dirt roads.

If you work you way into Canyon De Chelly, Monument Valley, there are a lot of areas close to MV, Gose neck national park, Mulley point, Valley of the Gods, National Bridges National Park and work back to Mesa Verde. It will take you three days to make this route.

Its all pave roads.

Canyon De Chelly contact Bobby Banwinkle S. Tseyi Jeep Tour at 928-674-3262. He offers jeep tours

In Monument Valley contact Simpson's Tour at 435-727-3362 Make a reservation head of time.

I hope this is of help. ood luck and have a good vacation.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions! We are going to stay in Farmington-Found a nice Bed and Breakfast called the Silver River Adobe Inn. We will probably do Chaco, Aztec Ruins and Shiprock Peak-There seems to be enough in that area.

If we have extra time then we may go to Canyon de Chelly.

Looking forward to the trip!