Bandolier National Monument/New Mexico

Old May 25th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bandolier National Monument/New Mexico

We're planning on visiting Bandolier, but aren't sure how much time to allow. We'll be leaving Santa Fe and traveling to Canyon de Chelly (which we know is a long day.) Is doing Bandolier on the way reasonable or should we squeeze it in during our time in Santa Fe (which we're hoping not to do?)
Old May 25th, 2003, 07:03 AM

I thoroughly recommend both Bandolier and Canyon de Chelly, but both require a real investment of time. From Sante Fe, drive to Bandolier, spend half of the day there, then finish the drive to Canyon de Chelly to spend the night. Spend a full day or even two at Canyon de Chelly before leaving to return to Sante Fe.
Old May 25th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! Another quick question -- how long will it take us to get to Bandolier from Santa Fe? Also, how long from Bandolier to Canyon de Chelly if we go by way of Acoma Pueblo? How much time would we need at Acoma Pueblo?
Thanks again...
Old May 25th, 2003, 02:13 PM

Bandolier is pretty close to Santa Fe so should not take long to get there (1-1.5 hours). However, Acoma is pretty far out of the way to go to Canyon de Chelly. Unless you hire a guide, you can only see the Canyon from the rim - except for White House Ruins where you can hike down. Is on Navajo land and they are pretty strict. Might instead consider Chaco Canyon in NM. Has lovely ruins that you can walk through. Does require about 11 miles of dirt road so do not go if raining. Well worth the time & effort to visit.
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:07 PM

Bandelier is a very interesting place to visit, particularly in the context of other Ancestral cliff style dwellings like Chaco, Mese Verde, and a couple of others. The last time I was there, the ladders were in place and visitors could scramble up for a view inside the dwellings.

There was one hole in the cliff we saw that was way up. I am not sure how people got up there because there were no foot and hand holds chipped into the rock. If someone used a ladder and deposited another person in that hole and then removed the ladder, the depositee would not be going anywhere easily. Hence I figured it was a jail.

For the record, the spelling is Bandelier.

Old May 26th, 2003, 06:15 PM

PS the spelling is also M E S A
Old May 26th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Acoma Pueblo takes a couple of hours to see and you MUST go with a native American guide.

Distances are vast in the Southwest and you will have to decide what your priorities are.