Search

Help with Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Itinerary

Every summer my husband, myself and our two boys, ages 15 and 11 take a few weeks to go to games at major league baseball parks. We are down to our last three this summer and would like to incorporate them all with some other cities for sightseeing. The following is our plan so far: Fly from NJ to San Francisco to see Oakland A's and SF Giants (already saw the giants a few years ago, but since we're there we'll go again), so two nights in SF, drive to Portland or Eugene, Oregon for 2 nights (which city has more to see and do??, 2-3 nights in Vancouver (is there a lot to do in Vancouver and should we go to Vancouver Island and Victoria, which I've been reading about - anywhere else in that area?, then 2 nights in Seattle to see Mariners, drive to McCall, Idaho to visit friends for 2 nights, then to Jackson Hole, WY for two nights (what do you suggest there - trip to yellowstone was thought of), then to Denver for to see the Rockies for 2-3 nights (again what are the must sees and dos). Then fly home to NJ. What do you think? After that we will have been to all 30 MLB parks in 5 years total.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:10 AM

I hope you have mapped out dates for the baseball games so this itinerary works....the Giants and A's are not always home at the same time. Though you said you've seen the Giants before.

I'd suggest staying in Portland since there are more things to do there for the family. Maybe a short trip to Astoria too while in Portland.

Victoria is AWESOME....just remember that you need a passport to go there.

I'd love to do the ballpark tour sometime...I've been to only 3 different stadiums for baseball (two of them are near home...Giants and A's), 4 if you include spring training!
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Your plan sounds pretty good. There is a lot to do in Vancouver, I could spend a day just in the Granville Market/Island area. Then add Stanley Park, the Maritime Museum & more. I prefer Vancouver to Victoria, but if you go to Vancouver Island and get north of Victoria there is a lot to see and do.
From Jackson Hole you could make a day trip into Yellowstone, but the the Grand Teton Park has much to offer, lakes, mountains, rivers, good hiking that you should save Yellowstone for another time.
Can't help with Denver, but if you have time, take the Trail Ridge drive throught Rocky Mountain Nat. Park.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Enjoy it. I did those 3 parks (not Denver) last year. Safeco is one of my favorite parks that I have been to. Just behind Pittsburgh and San Diego. I am just about done with all the parks. I'm doing the 2 in Chicago, Milwaukee and Minneapolis. Seeing that you have done it before, I would assume that you have the dates lined up, knowing the teams will be home. It does seem doable but a lot of driving. I flew into Oakland after leaving Seattle which saved a lot of time.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM
dmlove

We're also a "baseball park" family -- the problem is they keep adding new ones, so we have to backtrack (for ex., we've been to Kingdome, not Safeco, been to County Stadium, not Miller Park, etc.)

I think your itinerary sounds great, but might be a little ambitious for driving. SF to Eugene/Portland is a 10+ hour drive. Seattle to McCall is 8+ hours. McCall to Jackson Hole another 8 hours, and Jackson Hole to Denver another 8 hours. That's 4 just-driving days. How many weeks were you planning for this trip?

If it were me, I'd fly to SF, then fly to Seattle and do that area (skip Eugene/Portland on this trip), get the car there and do the rest of the trip.

Sounds like a blast, though.

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

After reading all the great responses, we've decided that if we cut out SF and Oakland and fly right into Seattle, it will cut out a lot of driving. We will leave Oakland for another trip. As for Vancouver, do you suggest staying in Vancouver or on Vancouver Island and how far are they from each other, I'm assuming a ferry ride. Where does Victoria fall into that.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:49 AM

This might help: http://maps.google.com/maps
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Just to throw out an idea, I'm in the RV Rental business and have had several customers plan trips like this in the past...and it's a great way to travel period.

You can check out Cruise America, one of the national RV companies that might be an option at www.cruiseamerica.com . Sounds like a great time!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

In these various cities that we are heading to, any suggestions on hotel accomodations and which areas are the best to stay in. We enjoy really nice hotels so anything you can offer would be great.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Victoria is on Vancouver Island and is around 3 hours drive+ferry from Vancouver city on the mainland. It's quite picturesque but also rather touristy in the downtown parts. Frankly with your boys I'd spend the time somewhere else. In less driving time from Vancouver, you can get to Whistler (site of the next Winter Olympics) and get up into the mountains, lakes, hikes, etc. - beautiful country.

For accommodation, both Vancouver and Seattle have jillions of tourists every summer taking cruises, so getting good accommodation at good prices is very hard.

For Seattle, however, there's no contest - the Silver Cloud Inn - www.scinns.com - located across the street from Safeco Field - is brand new, quite comfortable, and well priced.

While you're in the area, two excursions of note. One is to the Boeing widebody factory in Everett, around half an hour from downtown Seattle. You tour the biggest building in the world and watch 777s, 747s and 787s being assembled on the factory floor, viewing from balconies above the action.

Ten minutes from the Boeing plant is the ballpark where the Everett Aquasox play - a Class A club in the Mariners organization. It's a quite wonderful minor league experience - cheap, great fan-involvement games and gimmicks, and very respectable hot dogs and beer. Oh, the baseball is okay too. Boeing and Baseball makes for a great day.

The second outing is to the Museum of Flight in south Seattle. Check out www.museumofflight.org to see all the very cool things for your boys to see and do.

I'd also mention that Jackson WY to Yellowstone NP is an awfully long day. Better to spend a day at Grand Teton NP - closer and less daunting. Either that or plan for several days at Yellowstone. Book accommodation yesterday.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice. How long is it from Jackson Hole to Yellowstone and any suggestions for accomodations in those two areas? Thanks for the suggestion on the Silver Cloud Inn. I looked at the website and it looks very nice and right across from the ballpark which is great.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

How many nights would you suggest for Vancouver Island and Victoria and how many for the city of Vancouver? How far is Vancouver from Vancouver Island?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 03:46 PM

How many nights would you suggest for Vancouver Island and Victoria and how many for the city of Vancouver?

2-3 nights minimum in Vancouver.
1 night minimum in Victoria.

Of course, Victoria (though a city on Vancouver Island) is not a synonymous with Vancouver Island.

If you hope to explore Vancouver Island beyond the city of Victoria, know that Vancouver Island is a massive island.

It has small cities (complete with suburbs and fast food chains and rush hour traffic), charming towns, not-so-charming towns, sandy beaches, rocky rugged beaches, temperate rain forests, an entire mountain chain that runs up its center, many large and small lakes, a national park, dozens of provincial parks, wineries, working farms, hobby farms, a large First Nations (native ) culture, a fishing industry, a large forestry industry... etc.

You could spend weeks on Vancouver Island and not see everything.

It takes, for example, up to 8 hours to drive from the south end of Vancouver Island to the northern end of the island.

A great place, if you can devote 3 extra nights, is the Tofino area on the west coast of Vancouver Island. It takes 5 hours to drive there from Victoria. It's absolutely beautiful with sandy beaches and old growth rainforests, including the Pacific Rim National Park.

If you can't devote 3 nights to the area around Tofino, then you can always add an extra night in Victoria and drive north-west along the coast towards Sooke and Sombrio Beach in the Juan de Fuca Provincial Park.

How far is Vancouver from Vancouver Island?

A 35 minute flight from downtown Vancouver.

A 1.5 hour ferry ride away from the Tsawwassen ferry terminal (which is located a 45 minute drive south of downtown Vancouver).

A 1 hour and 40 minute ferry ride away from the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal (which is locoated a 30 minute drive north-west of downtown Vancouver).

As the crow flies? About 40 miles across the Strait of Georgia from downtown Vancouver.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Oh dear... ignore my bad text formatting. Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

wow, great information! We will have a car, can it go on the ferry? Also, any suggestions on accomodations?
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:58 AM

Yes, the ferries take about 400 cars (and buses, 18 wheelers, RV's and the like).

www.bcferries.bc.ca will provide you with all the details.