Help with Hawaiian Honeymoon

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Hawaiian Honeymoon

My fiance and I were pretty set on going to Italy. However, we had a rude awakening as to how expensive it is! We tried for months to cut corners and try to get the price down - to no avail.

So, our next choice is Hawaii. We've never been and would like some advice as to what to see, which islands to hit, etc.

Our travel agent has us set up right now to go to Maui the first 5 nights, then to Kaua'i for 4 more nights. How does this sound? Do you have a favorite hotel that you'd recommend?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:24 PM

I guess it depends where you are flying from, as plane tickets are always the largest single expensve, but I find Hawaii can be just as, if not more, expensive than Europe generally speaking.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 06:52 PM

kuparstwn, I can totally relate. I am planning a trip now to Europe and, oh my gosh, is it expensive.
However, you are in luck because Hawaii is wonderful and I am sure you will have a great time.
Kauai is beautiful, yet very quiet. Maui, IMO, doesn't have quite the natural beauty as Kauai, but has more activities. I recommend you get a hold of a copy of the Ultimate Guide to Maui/Kauai. Also, you can gain so much information from previous posts on this board. There are many recommendations on what to see and where to stay.
My only comment thus far regarding the plans your TA has suggested for you is the choice of going to Maui first and Kauai second. I would switch that around. After the wedding, the first thing you will want to do is relax. Kauai will be perfect for that.
Have Fun!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:17 PM

Hawaii is wonderful It's fabulous because you can be as lazy or as active as you want.

We went to Oahu, Big Island, and Maui last summer for our honeymoon, and this summer we are going to Oahu and Kauai for our 1st anniversary. Everything is experienced in Hawaii was beautiful, and we are looking forward to seeing more this summer.

For hotels, we enjoyed the Hyatt on Maui, and are staying at the Hyatt on Kauai this summer which is supposed to be even nicer.

I would definitely recommend the Ultimate Revealed books for the 2 islands, and Hawaii for Dummies is pretty good, too.

Also, do a search on this forum for trip reports, and you will find a ton of info. on all the islands.

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:39 PM

Well we went to Italy in October for our honeymoon and found some reasonable accomodations. I would be happy to share them with you if you would like. Other than that, we are planning our anniversary trip to Hawaii this October. We like adventure, so are planning to stay in Maui 9 nights and then Kauai 7 nights. You can get better rates with condo's. Through my research on this site, we have booked Maui Kai condos and Kuhio Shores condos. Good luck! Just search these boards and you will come up with tons of advice! also, the Maui Revealed and the Kauai Revealed books are great!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:36 PM

hey, is that you Sarah? hawaii is awesome! i was just thinking about lost connections and found this thru google... congratulations are in order i guess drop me an email sometime [email protected]...