Help with Florida beach resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know some of you all can help me. I need to find a resort on a beach in Florida for the week of April 1. This is a last-minute trip; I realize it is spring break.

I would like to find a place directly on the beach, with a nice pool, tropical landscaping. I'd like to be able to have breakfast in the room or by the pool, lunch by the pool, and drive somewhere for dinner. This trip would be for me and my young-adult daughter. We'd like to totally relax on this trip. I envision us sitting under a palm tree or beach umbrella, reading books, dozing, watching the ocean waves, and relaxing.

We live a little north of Atlanta, so it would be great if this was within driving distance (9 hours or less). I'm thinking of the east cost of Florida (St. Augustine, Ormond Beach, Daytona area, Cocoa Beach, etc.) but am open to other ideas.

I'd like to pay $200 or less per night. She might also invite a friend, so we need to have 2 beds in the room.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. I'm also trying to do a lot of research tonight.

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM

The Sawgrass Marriott Resort & Spa <http://marriott.com/hotels/travel/ja...sort-and-spa/>
is half-way between St. Augustine and Jacksonville. It might meet your needs.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Orlando Vic. I was just looking up info on that resort when I saw your post! It's hard to tell how far away it is from the ocean, though. Do you know?

Thanks very much!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 03:25 PM

I checked to see the Elizabeth Point Lodge on Amelia Island had the bedding you wanted. Don't think so. Sometimes the Ritz has great rates - but probably not during that week. Amelia Island would be great though.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM

The Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fernandia Beach is a block away from the beach but gets great reviews.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Ike

Check out the San Destin Beach Hilton. I see some rates as low as $199/night arriving 4/1. It's about 370 miles from Atlanta to Destin or 6 hours or so. Destin has the best beach in America and you would miss spring break on April 1 I feel like. There's a lot to do in Destin for grown ups and children too.

http://www.sandestinbeachhilton.com/
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Ike

I forgot to tell you most all the rooms have a small bedroom up front along with the regular bedroom and the small room has a set of bunk beds. There's a refrigerator and sink also in most rooms if you care to take some things to eat in,
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody! Starrsville, I have already checked out Amelia Island, but everything there is really expensive that week. I would love to stay at the Ritz, but it's over $400/night.

Ike, I like the Hilton Sandestin. We've been to Destin several years ago and loved it, so it's a possibility.

If anyone has any more ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:36 AM

samsaf, did you try a AAA rate at that Hampton? The AARP rate was just over $100 for that week.

I spent some time on VRBO looking. I like Anastasia which is listed as St. Augustine Beach on vrbo. Everything I saw was booked for that week.

I'd grab ANYTHING that can be cancelled while you look because that week is going to be hard to find open. The Hampton Inn isn't exactly what you are looking for (a block walk to the public beach) but it would be a great place to take the girls for a week. There are a lot of mom and pop hotels you could try down the coast, but I don't have any names handy.

If you go to Amelia Island, check into the kayak trip. They would probably love going over to Cumberland Island for the day too.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:47 AM

Samsaf-
Regarding the Sawgrass Marriott Resort & Spa, I have never been there so I don't know for sure if they are oceanfront or not. The picture on their website looks like they might, but call them to be sure.

I agree with Ike regarding the beaches at Destin being the absolute best. A good alternate choice might be Ft. Walton Beach, specifically on Highway 98 East. Sorry, I have no specific recommendations.

Are you an AAA member? They might have some resort ideas.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:06 AM
cd

A place we have stayed and I have recommended before is the Island Inn Beach Resort in Treasure Island FL. They are 1,2,or 3 bedroom condos. Oceanfront with balconies. They have a nice pool with a snack bar and just a few minutes walk down the beach is Caddy's, a restaurant/bar with indoor/outdoor seating directly on the beach, you can even take a beach chair from their huge supply and sit it on the water's edge. Sunsets here are awesome! Is lacks landscaping but other then that would fill your needs. Close to John's Pass if you want to rent some time on a boat.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:07 AM
cd

Opps, wanted to include : www.islandinnresort.com or 727-367-1926
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:12 AM
cd

Regarding the Island Inn, if interested do not take the bay view rooms, take the oceanfront. We did not like the bay view at all.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:19 AM

I've stayed on St Pete Beach many many times at a place called the Dolphin Beach Resort. It's an older place.. but has had a couple of refurbishments along the way. So many beach locations now are high-rises. The DBR is not a high rise. If you get a beach front room on the first floor, you step directly into the sand on the beach. The beachfront rooms on the 2/3/ and 4th floors have balconies which are close enough to the water to listen to the surf at night (very relaxing!!).

The pool is really nice. And yes, you can dine right by the pool. This place gets lots of families and lots of Europeans. It's old but it still gets my vote as a nice relaxing beachfront location!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

What does anyone think about the Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront?

I was able to get a 2-bed, oceanfront room for government rate (daughter is a teacher) of $145 per night. I went ahead and booked it, because I can cancel up to 2 days before arrival with no penalty. I will continue to look and see if I can find anything better.

I checked out everybody's suggestions, and I really appreciate you taking the time to help us. If you have any more suggestions, please let me know.

I was supposed to be going with husband and son to Paris/Germany on March 29, but daughter hasn't been feeling well, so I need to be with her, and I thought it would do her a lot of good to just RELAX and take it easy on the beach, and she agrees. So now husband and son are going alone (only to Germany -- we cancelled the Paris portion of the trip this time), and daughter and I will be going to beach. And other daughter will be at college.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Hilton - good
Melburne Beach - good
Oceanfront - good
Sounds good.

Check tripadvisor for reviews, but sounds like a winner.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM

I stayed at the Sawgrass several years ago. It is not on the ocean, but I think they had a shuttle.
As you may realize, the weather in April is very unpredictable around Destin. (I live nearby and can tell you that it could be much too cold for even walking on the beach in April.) Swimming will be out of the question unless the pool is heated.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:50 AM

samsaf, I just received an email with beach specials for Myrtle Beach. If you are interested in looking to see if there are deals of interest to you, email me at starrsvillega at yahoo and I'll forward it to you.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM
GoTravel

The Marriott Sawgrass is nowhere near the beach. You have to take a shuttle which is a bit of a drive.

The Ponte Vedra is gorgeous!

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everybody. Hey, starrsville, I also had some good deals for Myrtle Beach properties, but the average high temps for the first week of April are only around 72 degrees, so I think we'd better head a little further south. I think so far the Hilton Melbourne Beach is the best fit for us (with the bonus of getting Hilton Points!).

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -