Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help with choosing a snorkel trip: BI or Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Hawaii next month (2 nights Oahu, 4 nights BI, and 7 nights Maui) and are trying to reserve some things ahead of time. We know we want to take at least one snorkeling trip. The ones we are considering are:

1. BI -- Fairwinds trip to Kealukuala Bay (We are booked on this one now, but it is an hour and a half from our hotel, Hapuna Prince. We are also planning to do VNP for one day, and I'm concerned this will be a lot of driving for the short amt. of time we have on this large island.)

2. Maui: Pacific Whale Foundation's Lanai Dolphin Encounter

3. Maui: Pacific Whale Foundation's Molokini-Lanai Snorkel and Dolphin Encounter

Has anyone done any of these that could recommend one over the other? We are first-time snorkelers, and would like to see some colorful fish, and hopefully some dolphins or turtles! Which offers the best snorkeling? Should we pick just one, or do they offer such different experiences that we should try 2 (one on BI and one on Maui?) Thanks so much!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 09:09 AM

I think that ride to Kealekakua Bay is well worth it. The Place of Refuge is interesting and you could combine the two. I don't think that you need a tour to snorkel there. We have rented kayaks along the road and have gotton directions to the area to "put in". Usually snorkel equipment can be rented where you get the kayak. Its a nice paddle over to Captain Cook's monument and the snorkeling is great.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 11:16 AM

You could also check with the Hapuna Prince - they should offer a snorkel trip to some great spots closer to the hotel. There are some amazing coves and "undiscoverd" spots along the Kohala coast that are great for snorkelling. A-Bay and in front of the Sheraton Orchid are public easy places you can go without reservations close to the hotel that are pretty good. Also there is a good spot off of Puako.

Turtles will be pretty easy to find all up and down the coast - and dolphins are common in Kealakekua Bay but are out in the center where you won't be snorkelling - Most likely you will snorkel around Captain Cook Mounument which is fabulous. Place of Refuge is great also and worth the trip if you are already in the area or want better snorkelling than up north.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 11:30 AM

Done Pacific Whale's (PWF) Lana'i snorkel/dolphin encounter and a snorkel/dolphin watch trip to Molokini by PWF. Enjoyed Lana'i trip much more. Way fewer people in the water. Crystal clear, calm water with very good variety of fish. Saw no dolphins close, but, in fairness, we became distracted by humpback whales early season-late November (not a consideration in your case). Lana'i has some of the largest pods of spinner dolphins in the world. Yes they jump and spin.
Molokini just didn't ring my bell. Decent variety of fish, but I've seen many more (many times) when I snorkeled from shore in Wailea area beaches, among other Maui beaches. Very crowded. Didn't see any whales close up-but tail end of season, mid-April. PWF does a good job educating and entertaining. They qualify as a not organized for profit research institute. PWF offers discount for advance bookings on-line.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

OK, well, I think we decided to do our one snorkel trip on Maui. THanks for the tips! BTW, I am not limited to using Pacific Whale Foundation. Any suggestions for which trip on Maui to take? As I posted before, we are beginner snorkelers who would like to see colorful fish, reef, maybe some turtles or pods of dolphins. Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 07:52 PM

Kealukuala Bay is really incredible. I did see dolphins when I was there (Fairwinds tour) and I stopped at Place of Refuge, put my snorkel gear back on and was amazed by the number of sea turtles--fabulous place.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:16 AM

I vote for Fairwinds. Go for their morning trip which includes lunch. We got there early (after a 2.5 hour trip from the Hilo side)and we were second on the boat and grab two of the four lounge chairs on the top desk. Wow! Made the tip really comfortable.

We also visited Place of Refuge later that afternoon and snorkeled ourselves. Lots of turtles there!

Another day, we went to the Mauana Kea hotel early (again after a 2.5 hour drive) to get one of their 30 beach passes. Great beach and good snorkelling.